Greetings! New FOH!

Place for those new to the MessageBoard to tell us about your flying squirrel and yourself!

Moderator: NuttyNelly

RescuedBy4Paws
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Greetings! New FOH!

Postby RescuedBy4Paws » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:52 pm

I’m in the south eastern part of US and last summer found two orphaned eastern grey squirrels. I rescued, raised and released them and in the raising process a friend called me with two orphaned pink flying squirrels. I took them on as well. I named them Han Solo and Skywalker. Upon release Han Solo initially left and Skywalker stayed. But then then Han Solo came back and Skywalker left. Han Solo stayed after several attempts at release, so now he lives with me. His testicles have just descended in the last couple weeks and he’s become a bit obstinate. I have never forced any ‘pet’ behavior on him as I never imagined him as a pet. But now that he’s determinded to stay with me I’d like some input in what to expect from here forward. He will spend time under my clothes and there are days he would rather stay there but I’ve not been able to let him to, and then lately he’s been more interested in jumping from nest to nest around my room. He’s not caged although he has one, but he’s been now making nests in odd spots and chewing on stuff. He has not done this previously. Any input is so appreciated and helpful!

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Greetings! New FOH!

Postby Joan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:31 pm

RescuedBy4Paws wrote:...Han Solo stayed after several attempts at release, so now he lives with me.

Sounds like he has picked you as his pet. :twisted:

RescuedBy4Paws wrote:... His testicles have just descended in the last couple weeks and he’s become a bit obstinate.

This is not unusual when they first reach puberty .. he will likely settle down. Check notes under "Puberty" for more info: search.php?keywords=Puberty

RescuedBy4Paws wrote:... I’d like some input in what to expect from here forward.

Use "search" in upper left for info on most any topic. Loads of help there.

RescuedBy4Paws wrote:... He’s not caged although he has one, but he’s been now making nests in odd spots and chewing on stuff. He has not done this previously. Any input is so appreciated and helpful!

Do you feed him in the cage? Are there nest boxes in it? They will consider a cage home base if that's where they sleep and eat.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

RescuedBy4Paws

Re: Greetings! New FOH!

Postby RescuedBy4Paws » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:10 am

Awesome info. Thank you Joan!

Return to “MessageBoard Introduction”