Hi! Im new to squirrels. From the uk.

Place for those new to the MessageBoard to tell us about your flying squirrel and yourself!

Moderator: NuttyNelly

tommyfarr
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Hi! Im new to squirrels. From the uk.

Postby tommyfarr » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:09 pm

Hi everyone. Just posted on the squirrel board and they said to head here too, so here i am! My names Tommy, im 22 (i think, lifes a blur after 20!) and I live in the UK.

Ive only kept crested geckos before, ive had three of them for 14 months now. Pascal, Gordan Geiko and Winnebago Barry Tinkleton. They're such sweet things and ive wanted more pets ever since. Anywhos, after loads of searching I found 2 advertisements for breeding pairs in Newark which is in the midlands of england, about 160miles from where i live. I had to go look at them and see.

When i got there they belonged to a lovely old man called Geoff. He's been taking in strays for years, be it degus, chinchillas, chipmunks, ferrets, anything really! He bought 4 flyers last year, a set of 2 sisters and 2 brothers. He put a boy and girl of each together and one set had babies, the other set have not yet. However he was struggling to look after them all with crippling arthritis, his hands were completly folded up, but he genuinly seemed to love all his pets. However with his hands he couldnt keep up with them all, and the cages were a bit of a state. After seeing it all I had to have them if just to give them some more love. So after alot of curfuffle i got them in my car and left! they spent there first night with me in a smaller container with newspaper, food and a bit of substrate, they spent the day snuggled up asleep and the night chirpping and munching hazelnuts.

The next day i got the pressure washer out and made sure the cage was spotless. They're pretty settled it seemed. I made sure all windows and risks were blocked up and left the cage open night 1 for them to explore. That they did, however they were very resistant to be caught, i think they're still quite scared and not used to handling. I hope to make an effort with them tonight by towling up the bathroom and sitting in there with them and some pecans. It may take a while but id love them to take to me. If im lucky they'll have babies too so i can really get them to bond with me.

Ive named them Lil Wayne and Nicki Minaj. Quite like my rap! They are so sweet, just very afraid. Geoff used to feed them parrot mix and suppliment it with nuts and some frech fruit. (they love oranges!)

So any help or advice would be massive! And thanks for your time I suppose, the forums seem really friendly and i'd love to get involved!

Kind Regards.

(oh, photos coming very soon!!!)

tommyfarr

Re: Hi! Im new to squirrels. From the uk.

Postby tommyfarr » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:22 pm

This Is one of them. Not sure at this stage if its the male or female?!

Another of it being outrageously cute.

This is the other who likes to hide up the back of sets of draws!

And the set-up they came with. I am looking for a different cage, but spent out from the squirrels and xmas, plus they've managed in this cage for a year, so should (i hope) be ok for another month or so.

The geckos are in the other, with the towells there so they can run about and get back up to the cage. They're still pretty terrified of me, wont accept food. I think theres way too much bedding and not enough boxes, or toys obv, thats what im buying this weekend. Just want them to love me really!!!

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:04 pm

Welcome Tommy. It's wonderful you were able to take these flyers. Lots of patience is needed ... read the Educational Section for help and ask questions you may have.
I have a friend in the Midlands ... near Birmingham. A true Brummie. :wink:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Delight
Juvie Pup

Postby Delight » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:54 pm

Welcome Tommy!! Congrats on your new additions =D> ! With lots of patients they should warm up to you some, but to be quite frank with you - it is unlikely that they will ever be truely 100% tame only because it sounds like they didn't get handled a whole lot before you got them! They will probably get to the point where they will come investigate you for treats and such though - I just doubt you'll every be able to hold them in your bare hands with out getting fingers nipped (don't feel bad most adult squirrels even if hand raised and re-homed to a new owner don't like this.) I'm sure with plenty of patients they will probably do allright though! A few things to inform you of - paper bedding is better than wood shavings, if you're going to use wood use aspen, not pine or cedar as it can cause respitory irritation. Also make sure the squirrels can't get to your Gekos because I wouldn't put it past them to try and have a taste of one :evilbat: and I wouldn't want you to end up with a hurt Geko or a hurt squirrel for that matter. All in all it seems like you will make a very good squirrel parent though. Thanks for joining the board and I look forward to getting updates on your little fellows there (LOVE the names BTW) lol.
Owned by 5 flyers, 1 geoffroys cat, 1 african serval, 1 bengal, 1 parrot & 1 dog. www.totallytameexotics.yolasite.com

NuttyNelly
NFSA Member

Postby NuttyNelly » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:25 am

Congrats on your new babies! They are so adorable. Very...very soon you will be hooked and they will own you and you will become a member of the HOF (human owned by flyer)association...LOL

Sounds like you are off to a good start with the diet!
HOF to a sweet baby boy!
Small hobby breeder of sugar gliders.
http://www.sarahssuggieshoppe.com

Return to “MessageBoard Introduction”