Howdy from Dallas, Texas

Place for those new to the MessageBoard to tell us about your flying squirrel and yourself!

Moderator: NuttyNelly

mommyof3
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Howdy from Dallas, Texas

Postby mommyof3 » Fri May 24, 2013 11:01 am

Hi, Everyone. I am interested in getting a fly. It all started because I saw cute pictures of the Japanese dwarf flying squirrel. After researching, I assume they can't be adopted here in the states because I haven't seen any advertised, nor have I seen any pictures of people in the US having one.

But, the southern flying squirrels are cuties, too. I've been reading up on care, feeding, housing, and enrichment. The next step is to see one and interact with one in person to see if I am still interested in adopting one. I take the responsibility of owning a pet very seriously and don't want to jump to adopting one without seeing what they are like.

If there's anyone in the Dallas area with a flyer who doesn't mind if I meet your flyer to get a feel for having one, please let me know.

CoCoDulse
Juvie Pup

Re: Howdy from Dallas, Texas

Postby CoCoDulse » Fri May 24, 2013 11:04 am

Welcome to the forum i am new and Spanish among in the forum because in my country there is no information about flying squirrels With the time I will have a. I hope you do too.
I am of Spanish translator used

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Fri May 24, 2013 3:58 pm

Hi!

Japanese flyers are a protected species, so that is why you don't see anyone in the US with one. Too bad! :(

If you go on "thesquirrelboard.com" and make an account in the forum, you should contact the person with the user name "Skul" - he and his wife are flyer experts in Texas - they have several flyers, and they rehab flyers for wild release as well. I'm sure they would be a great resource for you.

Best of luck!

KelleyL

Postby KelleyL » Wed May 29, 2013 8:30 pm

I'm in Dallas area too! Sadly though, I just lost my flyer of 15 years :( They are amazing animals and if you have the time to dedicate them...they are very much worth it!

seijitsu

Postby seijitsu » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:50 pm

It is virtually impossible to export a Japanese flying squirrel from Japan, as 1) Japan is fiercely protective about its native flying squirrels and 2) it is not legal to own the Japanese fliers as pets within Japan. You would need to find a breeder who already has them in another country, such as the UK.

Please see my post here for more details about the Japanese situation:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5285#p70306
Your resident informant on Japanese flying squirrels

Return to “MessageBoard Introduction”