Hello from a Wild Southern Flying Squirrel lover!

Place for those new to the MessageBoard to tell us about your flying squirrel and yourself!

Moderator: NuttyNelly

Moonbeam
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Hello from a Wild Southern Flying Squirrel lover!

Postby Moonbeam » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:59 pm

I think I posted here several years ago but can't be sure. I have had one of the most magical experiences in the world...ongoing for the past 11 years. I live in Tennessee, and I have wild Southern Flying Squirrels that glide in from the woods in my backyard when I call to them, and come and eat from my hand. They come sometimes daily during the months of June, July, & August, and occasionally throught the rest of the year. It is amazing and humbling to have the trust of these tiny wild things. Sometimes they line up 6 or more on a tree to run down and take a pecan from my hand. And sometimes, on the most special occasions, they sit balanced in my hand, facing me with those beautiful big nocturnal eyes, holding on to my fingers with their back feet, while enjoying a treat. I have several photos taken over the years of them interacting with me. I would love to talk to other people who have had similar experiences and share my stories with them. I have read that they only live an average of 4-5 years in the wild, so I may have at least 3 generations of them that come to visit me!

Laurak
Flying Furball

Re: Hello from a Wild Southern Flying Squirrel lover!

Postby Laurak » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:53 am

Wow, that is amazing! I am so jealous! You need to post pictures :-)

The SFS's range does extend up to where I am, but they are very few and far between. We have mostly Northerns, but they tend to be shier.

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Hello from a Wild Southern Flying Squirrel lover!

Postby Joan » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:51 pm

I've seen videos of wild colonies flying through a backyard and coming to feed at platform feeders. It's magical. :D
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “MessageBoard Introduction”