Hello! and pics :)

Place for those new to the MessageBoard to tell us about your flying squirrel and yourself!

Moderator: NuttyNelly

EenyandMeeny
Baby Flyer
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Hello! and pics :)

Postby EenyandMeeny » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:00 pm

Hello! I've been on here for a while, but haven't done a proper intro. I decided now's the time to do it!

I live on a 72 acre farm. I have a dog, cat, and, of course, my two flyers. For years, ever since I read a story about a lady who rescued a squirrel, I've wanted one. I've had other baby animals before, (including three orphan baby deer), but finally gave up ever owning a squirrel. In fact, we didn't even know flying squirrels lived in our area!

In April, we ended up going to the woods with the tractor, and, though we hadn't planned it, started cleaning away the debris from dead and fallen trees in a small area by the soybean field. Unbeknownst to us, one of the dead trees that Daddy knocked over and drug out contained a flying squirrel family. When I found the babies on the ground, I wasn't quite sure what to do. Both of their tails were injured, and when I read that the mother won't take the babies if they are injured, I rather gave up. Mom and I looked and looked for the mommy, but though we saw and heard her earlier, after she took a closer look at her baby, she left. We neither saw nor heard anymore traces of her. I felt so bad. :(

I finally took them home and placed them in a shoe box far away from where my cat would ever be able to reach them. :D After doing some research on the internet, Dad and I went to the nearest town and bought some Esbilac. I also deemed that they were around 5 weeks old, but wasn't sure quite exactly how old.

We got them on Sunday, and by Tuesday night, I became worried about their injured tails. Our main concern was sepsis. They didn't move very much, and seemed to be in a lot of pain. So, we made the hard decision. We amputated their tails just above the injury. It was hard, because their tails are so pretty, and we knew that they depend on their tails for balance and while gliding. But we noticed a dramatic difference after we did. They started eating more, and seemed to be happy and bright eyed. I started carrying them around in my sweater, and they really liked that. From time to time, they would get up and peek out at the top, and with this behavior send Mommy into fits of laughter. We surely had a fun time. Maybe that's why they are so close to us all, and actually seem to like people. :)

On Friday I noticed that they had a dramatic increase in their activity level, which is when I deemed that they were 6 weeks old. They were moved from the shoebox into a big pet taxi, and would run around during the night. I also added a deer antler, which they started chewing up almost immediately!

From then on it's history. They continue to become more active, and love people. Once they get up at night, if any of us walk into the room, we are attacked by "cling on's". If new people visit, they become immediate fans of my babies, and my babies love exploring the limits with their new friends. They do create a bit of shock, especially since they love to jump right up high onto your chest. It's so funny to see people's reactions to them. :twisted:

They love me as their mommy, and if anything is scary, they'll run to me and jump in my shirt. Then they will peek out as if to say, "It's all right now, isn't it?" They do seem to be less agile than the videos I've watched of other flying squirrels, maybe because of their lack of tail. They do have little stubs though. Makes them all the more cuter! That's why my Dad dubbed them 'Stump' and 'Bump'!

So, that's my intro. I posted a couple pictures for you all to enjoy in the picture section. I'm still a :n00b: . Trying to learn all I can. So I'm thankful for you all! :D I'm also thankful that I was able to rescue these cute flying furballs! :multi:

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Hello! and pics :)

Postby Joan » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:24 pm

EenyandMeeny wrote: Hello! I've been on here for a while, but haven't done a proper intro. I decided now's the time to do it!

Glad to have you here! :D

EenyandMeeny wrote: When I found the babies on the ground, I wasn't quite sure what to do. Both of their tails were injured, and when I read that the mother won't take the babies if they are injured, I rather gave up.

I'm not sure this is really true as flyer mom are fiercely protective. They might not accept a pup that is unable to survive though.

EenyandMeeny wrote: ... We got them on Sunday, and by Tuesday night, I became worried about their injured tails. Our main concern was sepsis. They didn't move very much, and seemed to be in a lot of pain. So, we made the hard decision. We amputated their tails just above the injury. It was hard, because their tails are so pretty, and we knew that they depend on their tails for balance and while gliding. But we noticed a dramatic difference after we did. They started eating more, and seemed to be happy and bright eyed.

Sounds like you made the right decision even though these guys have amazing healing powers. I've seen very dramatic results like that in a grey pup with a necrotic tail. He was amazing active after the anesthesia wore off when his tail was amputated.

So, now you have flyers you can pass off as hamsters to any landlord. LOL :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

EenyandMeeny
Baby Flyer

Re: Hello! and pics :)

Postby EenyandMeeny » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:08 am

Thanks for the welcome!

lol, yes they have been called hamsters more than once. They surely have flyer characteristics though. And they are so much more friendly! :D

Return to “MessageBoard Introduction”