Intro

Place for those new to the MessageBoard to tell us about your flying squirrel and yourself!

Moderator: NuttyNelly

Achmed's Mom
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Intro

Postby Achmed's Mom » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:45 am

Hello! We a new to the world of flyers. 3 1/2 wks ago we found an abandoned pinky. The local wildlife rehab wouldn't take him. Well, he now has hair and his eyes opened yesterday. He seems to be thriving. I have read pretty much every blog on this site but I still have some questions?
When do we start introducing solid foods? he eats 1.5-2cc's 6x per day. Are we over feeding? Everyone talks about a bonding pouch, how big should it be and what materials are best? Squeaker is fast out growing his nest box. We plan on moving him into a large aquarium this weekend. When should he go into his deluxe cage?
Oh my, I sure I will think of more...
Thanks for the add!

Mom of Stitch the horse, Freckles the pony, Achmed & Fiona the dogs, ans Squeaker the northern FS!

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Intro

Postby Joan » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:58 am

Achmed's Mom wrote:... When do we start introducing solid foods? he eats 1.5-2cc's 6x per day. Are we over feeding?

Formula Calculation:
The amount you feed is about 25% of their body weight per day.
Here is a way to figure the approximate amount to feed a 2 oz.
baby if you are feeding 4 times per day.

2 oz. x 28 = 56 grams. Assume 56 grams = 56 cc
56 cc x .25 = 14 cc = the amount to feed per day.
If feeding 4 times a day: 14 cc divided by 4 = 3.5 cc per feeding.

Weights:
1 gram = 0.035274 ounce
1 ounce = 28 grams

When the eyes are open, in addition to formula, he can be offered soft solid foods. He can begin to gnaw on pecans and pine nuts although they continue to nurse until they are 8 - 10 weeks. Give pup pecan halves -- split to make pecan quarters and pine nuts and hazelnuts broken in half. All out of the shell. Apples and pears are well received, as are peeled grapes. Offer Cherrios.

See Feeding Infants & Pups: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=159

Achmed's Mom wrote:... Everyone talks about a bonding pouch, how big should it be and what materials are best?

I have never used a bonding pouch as I prefer to have them next to my skin. I tuck in my shirt and pull it out some to make a hammock all the way around and let them sleep there. When small, they will also sleep in a sports bra.

Achmed's Mom wrote:... Squeaker is fast out growing his nest box. We plan on moving him into a large aquarium this weekend. When should he go into his deluxe cage?

Get him a permanent nest box like a small wild bird house. When he uses it, you can move it into his delux cage. He may not come out until he feels secure, but remember, they are high up in trees in the wide open outdoors.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “MessageBoard Introduction”