Gift from Upstairs

Place for those new to the MessageBoard to tell us about your flying squirrel and yourself!

Moderator: NuttyNelly

SheepdogGal
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Gift from Upstairs

Postby SheepdogGal » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:31 pm

Midwest Greetings from the newest of Newbies.
My husband and I were gifted with a naked little flyer 2 1/2 weeks ago. We found her wriggling on the ground in the morning with no nest or hole or momma in sight. Being so tiny and with no fur or even pigment, we took her in and have been diligently keeping her fed and warm.
She is now just starting to open her eyes a crack, and I saw her sit up for the first brief time today.
We are torn about how to give this beautiful creature the best life possible. Cold weather is nearly here. No way will she be safe for release before late Spring. Bonding is inevitable (and welcomed--it's too hard not to give her the nurturing she needs!) We do have other fur children in our home--two dogs, three cats and a parrot--and a very busy lifestyle on our farm. If flyers are colony animals, would she not be much happier with a few of her own kind?
We are willing to build her a lovely house of her own, but what about her need for other flyers? Keeping a colony here as pets with all our other beasties might be a problem. Best advice?
We much appreciate the expertise available wit this group!

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Gift from Upstairs

Postby Joan » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:36 pm

First, congratulation for keeping her alive. Flyer pups that young are not easy to raise. I can tell you that she will be happy as a clam owning you and with no contact with other flyers. :twisted: They are considered adult at 12 weeks, but it's unlikely she'll want to leave. If you do decide to release her come Spring, get the help of a rehabber who may have several to let go together. Bet she stays though. :wink:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

SheepdogGal

Re: Gift from Upstairs

Postby SheepdogGal » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:41 am

Thank you for your reply Joan,

The transformation from wriggler to flyer is amazing to watch. It is like she morphs into a new creature every 24 hrs. Yesterday was the first tiny nibble on a walnut half. Here's hoping she gets the idea and tries the Mazuri rodent block next. It is a real relief to have her feeding schedule upped to 3 hrs. I can actually get some work done around the farm now. Thank Heaven she travels well, otherwise I'd never have been able to get groceries and critter feed these last few weeks!

We are still trying to decide the best course of action for this baby. We will surely keep her and do our best for her---but I am still of a mind that if there is a member with Flyer experience (and not so many other critters as we have onboard), that it would be better for her to have less divided attention, and a home with fewer predators also in residence. Each of G_d's critters deserve the best we can provide.

If there is another member in the Midwest who would want to give her an outstanding home, would they please contact me?

Return to “MessageBoard Introduction”