We have been adopted by a squirrel...

Place for those new to the MessageBoard to tell us about your flying squirrel and yourself!

Moderator: NuttyNelly

cebee
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

We have been adopted by a squirrel...

Postby cebee » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:50 pm

We live in West Michigan, in a wooded area... and apparently a flying squirrel has decided he is not a fan of the cold. Was sitting in my living room the other day and looked down to see him sitting about 6 feet away looking at me! The cat woke up and I thought OH NO! but except for finding him interesting he made no attempt to attack him. So the little guy ( we cant catch him, and have given up and decided he lives here now..) sits on our curtain rod, flings himself off the banisters into the living room, has run over my shoulder, and down my leg... and apparently has become great friends with the cat. Drinks out of his water bowl.
So...has anyone ever been adopted by a wild Flyer? I am not going to try to hold him, etc. He is just free to live with us as long as he chooses to. He really is cute and not afraid of us or the cat.
I am just not at all sure how to feed him. I think so far he has been sharing the cats food. I put out some nuts and a piece of orange for him now and hope he eats it. But will take any suggestions!~

pattis
Juvie Pup

Re: We have been adopted by a squirrel...

Postby pattis » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:38 am

That's amazing! Is it a southern flier?
Rowdy's friend

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:20 pm

Check the educational section for almost all answers you will need: viewforum.php?f=68
One caution about the cat: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3893
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

cebee

Postby cebee » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:01 pm

pattis wrote:That's amazing! Is it a southern flier?

Yes, it is. It is really quite adorable. I am glad I found this site.. I was quite stumped over what to feed him etc. It is not like I planned on getting one! Luckily I had some almonds and an orange that I set out. Woke up this morning and the almonds were gone. So he found em, thank heavens.
My only concern is where he is ... uh... relieving himself. Does anyone know if they routinely use the same spot?
My kids think my husband and I are crazy, but I really do enjoy having him in the house!

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:31 pm

With him being wild, probably not. But after a while, he might.
Shannon, mom to Sandy, Daisy, Jack, Zooey and three human teenagers! :)

Return to “MessageBoard Introduction”