Hi from Arkansas!

Place for those new to the MessageBoard to tell us about your flying squirrel and yourself!

Moderator: NuttyNelly

shertastic
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Hi from Arkansas!

Postby shertastic » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:09 pm

Today my girlfriend and I adopted a 1 year old (guesstimate from her last owner) Flyer!

I'm calling her "Pilot", but I haven't quite convinced my girlfriend...yet. :P She's a sweet girl, who seems to be fairly young. When we picked her up she was in a relatively small guinea pig cage -- as soon as I got home I flipped it on its side so she would be able to actually -climb-. She seems to love it! I'm unsure if she's ever been able to do this as her previous family told us that this is the cage she's always been in.

Her current cage is about 14inches wide X 18inches deep X 26inches tall. We're looking for something at least twice this size and have already found a few plans for indoor aviaries that we might just try to tackle.

When we made the decision to bring the little one home, I was under the impression that her cage was sufficient, it's my fault that we don't have something better equipped for her needs already.

She doesn't seem to be very tame. I wore a glove and offered her a few pieces of fruit and some nuts and she will take them right out of our hands, but she also rushes as the cage sometimes when we're near. She nibbled on my (thankfully gloved!) fingertip a bit, but nothing that would even break the skin. She's been running around since sunset, jumping from her new branches and hanging upside down from the top of her cage.

The plan is to give her a few days to get used to us and her new surroundings before we try to bring her out in our Flyer-proof bathroom.

If anyone has any advice, we'd be happy to hear it!

Thanks!

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Re: Hi from Arkansas!

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:27 pm

Sounds like you are getting a good start! Welcome aboard!
Shannon, mom to Sandy, Daisy, Jack, Zooey and three human teenagers! :)

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:28 pm

I will say please make sure you read their diet necessities. Very important!
Shannon, mom to Sandy, Daisy, Jack, Zooey and three human teenagers! :)

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:36 pm

Today my girlfriend and I adopted a 1 year old (guesstimate from her last owner) Flyer! [/quote]
Congratulations!

shertastic wrote:I'm calling her "Pilot", but I haven't quite convinced my girlfriend...yet. :P

Let your girlfriend pick a name from famous women pilots. You can call her Pilot and she can call her the girl's name. :wink: https://www.wai.org/pioneers/100womenscript.cfm

shertastic wrote:Her current cage is about 14inches wide X 18inches deep X 26inches tall. We're looking for something at least twice this size and have already found a few plans for indoor aviaries that we might just try to tackle.

Check out some of these: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2024

shertastic wrote:She doesn't seem to be very tame ...If anyone has any advice, we'd be happy to hear it!

Lots of advice in several posts:

shertastic wrote:The plan is to give her a few days to get used to us and her new surroundings before we try to bring her out in our Flyer-proof bathroom.

Good plan.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

shertastic

Postby shertastic » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:01 pm

Oh, wow, such quick replies! Thank you both!

We have done our dietary homework -- her previous owners were feeding her only peanuts and sugar glider food! I didn't even know they made pellets for Gliders!

I figure even if she doesn't warm up to us (though we're tenacious and will keep at it for a good long while!) she still deserves to live out her days comfortably. :)

I can't wait to share some photos when we get her new setup finished!

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:34 am

shertastic wrote: -- her previous owners were feeding her only peanuts and sugar glider food!

I can't tell you how many times I have seen this happen! It's heart breaking. :(

shertastic wrote: --I can't wait to share some photos when we get her new setup finished!

Bet we can't wait more!!! :D
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “MessageBoard Introduction”