Hello from Seoul, South Korea!

Place for those new to the MessageBoard to tell us about your flying squirrel and yourself!

Moderator: NuttyNelly

autumnfox
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Hello from Seoul, South Korea!

Postby autumnfox » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:47 pm

I’m an English teacher from the states teaching here in Seoul, South Korea. One of my biggest passions is taking care of animals. I first got my flying squirrel, Mocha, almost 2 years ago from a company which breeds and deals strictly with flying squirrels here in South Korea (Rooblige). It is probably quite different from what you have heard or are used to. I only feed him dried and raw acorns and kale and he doesn't need anything else. This would seem like he lacks nutrition, but he doesn't.
Unfortunately, they keep these squirrels until they are 1 year old, which I have found makes bonding difficult and quite different from what I've learned and read. I do not think he is as bonded to me as people describe with their babies which they got at a very young age. When he is wide awake, he doesn't care too much about being on me all that often, but would rather run around the room and explore. He does love to cuddle in my hand and let me pet him while he sleeps, though.
While they keep them for this year, they give them various immunity shots to ensure their survival. They found that when they brought the flying squirrels from America to Korea and did not give them any shots, they ended up dying within the first year or so. This program they have is extensive and they have sold hundreds if not thousands to squirrels who have lived long and healthy lives in Korea. However, my Korean ability is not good enough to understand their forums completely, so many of my questions cannot be answered. Which is why I've joined this forum.

Nice to meet you all!
Last edited by autumnfox on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Seoul, South Korea!

Postby Joan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:11 am

Welcome Nelly and you certainly do have an interesting tail (pun intended) to tell. :D I think you are doing extremely well considering the age you got your flyer. It's interesting that they bring in US flyers. There are Old World flying squirrels (the genus Pteromys) across temperate Eurasia, the Korean Peninsula and Japan. I suppose it has to do with protecting native species and this is why they import. Everything on this board should apply to your furball since he is from the US. I think your bonding is excellent given the age you got him
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

autumnfox

Postby autumnfox » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:49 am

Thanks for the welcome!

I always worry that I'm not doing the most I can to bond with my little boy. I would love to take him with me to work, but I deal with children and one accidental "bump" against me and my squirrel could end in disaster. Also, since the kids are so loud, I think he would be quite stressed.

As for the people I bought my squirrel from, I've always wondered why they don't sell the domestic squirrels there. They are quite adorable, but I've never heard of anyone selling them here.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:39 am

It's probably illegal to sell domestic flyers especially if they are endangered. Some States in the US make it illegal to capture or sell flyers. This is in the odd areas where a Northern flyer subspecies lives in mostly Southern flyer ranges ... such as the mountainous areas of North Carolina.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

autumnfox

Postby autumnfox » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:57 pm

That makes sense. Just looked it up and you’re right, they are endangered #-o

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:18 pm

Take a look at the Japanese Dwarf Flying Squirrel (Pteromys momonga) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25x1XWRKzXc
Doesn't it just make you want to steal one?
:twisted:

autumnfox

Postby autumnfox » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:02 pm

Oh, goodness! They are just so chubby! And such a beautiful color. But nothing beats my baby, Mocha :D

Return to “MessageBoard Introduction”