Flyer Diet - One Stop Shop

Moonsong
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Flyer Diet - One Stop Shop

Postby Moonsong » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:33 am

The topic of Flyer Diet is always a hot topic among HOFs, so I thought I’d try to put the info all in one easy place.

Flyers should be given a dish of nut/seed mixture always. Most of us use Nut –n- Berry from Wal-mart. They now sell “sample” bags of this for around a dollar and it should last for several months. If you can’t find the sample bag, most Wal-Marts do carry the large bags. Remember, for freshness; store a majority of this mixture in your freezer!

Along with this mixture, fresh fruits and veggies should be offered nightly. Good veggies include: sweet potatoes, broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, mushrooms, green beans, snap beans, peas, okra, and corn on the cob (or off). Good fruits include: apples, oranges, pears, peaches, grapes, and plums. Do NOT give a flyer onions and I’d stay away from hot peppers too (although some give their squirrels bell peppers)!

If your flyer is young, remove the peeling from grapes, tomatoes, and apples as they cannot chew this and can get choked on it.

Nuts, of course, are a squirrel’s favorite, but watch out on the amount you give. Many nuts are high in fat content, such as pecans, and should only be given a bit at a time if out of the shell. Nuts in-shell can and should be offered, though, as often as possible as it helps keep claws and teeth ground down.

Other things, such as meal worms, grub worms, suet, and small bits of boiled egg can also be offered for a good source of protein.

Along with food, fresh water should always be available to your furballs. Some will not drink from bottles with the metal balls in them so make sure to offer other ways of getting the water they need, if this is the case. Also, watch the balled bottles in case the balls get stuck as your flier cannot get water out if this is the case.

Finally, the talk of vitamins and calcium… Many of us keep a cuttlebone in our cages and some of the squirrels will use these. Some, though, will not. Repo-cal is the calcium that most HOFs use and can be easily sprinkled onto the fresh fruits and veggies. This should be applied two to three times a week to their food. Also, vitamin drops such as L&M drops for gerbils and hamsters should be applied to the flyer’s water every other day. If your vitamin drops do not contain D3, make sure your calcium powder does as it helps your flyer to absorb the calcium it needs.:

I am slowly working on a list of foods that are good, bad, and okay for our flyers. If you feed yours something not on the list, please post it in this thread and I will add to it! I would like this to be as most comprehensive as possible! Thanks for your help!!!

Vegetables: Flyers have the ability to convert vit D2 in dark green leafy vegetables into vit D3 (the sunshine vitamin).

Fruits: Limit the number of days given ... try more than 2 days a week. Also give it alone as flyers have a sweet tooth and will pick it over veggies. Don't give them a choice.

Wild Woods: Flyers have an innate ability to know what wild foods are safe for them ... Joan drags in all kinds of things from the woods and the either eat it, play with it or throw it on the floor. LOL

Safe Trees: If the tree grows in a native flyer area, it's safe. They know which are not. Joan lives in Florida and they have more varieties of sub-tropicals than most states. Again, she trusts the flyers' innate ability to know what's best.

Protein: ... Give left over meats from dinners, rinsed of spices. The bones are often gnawed. Bones can be split too to make marrow more available. Joan only gives waxworms to nursing mothers as it is high in fat and pet flyers tend to be WAY overweight.

Calcium: ... egg shells, calcium powder (sprinkled on fruit or staple available mix). Liquid calcium dissolved in water should have a plain water source too so flyer has a choice. Too much calcium is as bad as not enough.

Tooth Health Foods: should include in-shell nuts.

Rodent Blocks and Commercial Foods: All should always be checked for vitamin and mineral supplements as necropsy results on pet flyers have shown they may be over-supplemented. If using commercial foods with supplements, stop any others.

Treats: ...Any foods that are hand fed. Joan keeps a steady supply of nuts and seeds available dusted with Calcium/D3. Most nuts are stored or chewed. Her flyers have never over-indulged and get bored with it.

A
Alfalfa
Almonds
Apples - YES (Peel the apple before giving to a young flier (under 4 months old)! They cannot chew the peeling and can get choked.
Acorns - YES (This will change the smell of their urine but do not worry it is still good for them.)
Acorn Squash
Arugula
Asparagus
Avocado (makes coats shiny)

B
Bamboo
Basil
Brussel sprouts
Blueberries
Blackberries
Banana - (peelings too!)
Beets
Bell Pepper
Bok Choy
Broccoli

C
Carrots
Celery
Chicken - (Make sure it is cooked just as if you were eating it. If fried, take skin off before offering. Make sure to remove any uneaten bites as soon as your flier is finished as it can smell terrible after a day.)
Chicken Bones - Must be from fully cooked chicken. They eat the marrow which gives them added calcium in their diet.
Cherries (no pits)
Cilantro
Chocolate - NOT REALLY (This has been debated alot and while chocolate is not really good for your flier, don't be alarmed if they get a small bit. Just don't offer it to them. Also note that white chocolate is okay but still too much sugar is harmful to them)
Clementines
Clover
Corn - (for a fun time, try putting a small piece of corn on the cob in the cage. They love it!)
Crickets
Cereals (unsweetened)
Cantelope
Chestnuts
Cucumbers

D
Dry Dog or Cat Food - (This is given as treats NOT as a staple diet.)
Dry Cereal - (unsweetened)
Dandelion greens

E
Egg noodles
EGGS (cooked)

F
Flower blossoms(nonsprayed) ... redbud, roses, wild violets. clover

G
Grapes - (Peel them for the younger flyers)
Greens - collard greens, kale, mustard and turnip greens
Green Beans

H
Hazelnuts
Honeydew
Honeysuckle
Hickory nuts

I

J
June Bugs

K
Kiwi

L
Lima beans (dried)
Lettuce (Romain)
Lichens

M
Macaroni (uncooked)
Mango
Mint
Moths
Mosquitos
Mosquito Hawks (Dragon flies)
Mealworms (freeze dried ... pups prefer & live)
Mushrooms
Mustard greens

N
Nectorines
New tree leaves/branches

O
Orange
Okra - (Not fried, guys... raw)
Olives - Somewhat (It's okay to taste)
Onion - NO

P
Parsley
Papaya
Pear
Peach (no pits)
Peas
Pecans
Pine nuts
Pinecones
Pumpkin & pumpkin seeds
Popcorn - (this is unflavored stuff either raw or air popped)
Popcorn - Sorta (flavored popcorn should only be a once in a while treat)

Q

R
Radish
Raspberries
Rice (whole grain, brown, uncooked)
Roses - (make sure they weren't sprayed for insects)

S
Seeds of all kinds
Sugar snap peas
Snow peas,
Strawberries
Sunflowers - Seeds and flowers)
Sweet Potato
Spinach
Sprouts
Squash
Sycamore Seed Pods

T
Tomato
Timothy Hay (supposedly better than alfalfa hay)
Turnip

U

V
wild violets

W
Watercress
Watermelon
Walnuts
Waxworms
Wheat grass
Wild Berries
Wildflowers - No pesticides!

X

Y
Yogurt
Yams

Z
Zucchini
Last edited by Moonsong on Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~*~Reesa~*~
Happy Squammy to Tajar and Baxter

Drayah
Juvie Pup

Postby Drayah » Tue May 09, 2006 12:28 am

K0sM0s001 wrote:can i get them crickets and mealworms where i work at (petsmart) for them? i got scared because i heard they can get aflatoxins from them???

BreezieGirl wrote:Nope, crickets and mealworms are perfectly safe for them to eat!

I'm pretty sure aflatoxins come from spoiled grains like corn and such. Petsmart feeds the crickets a processed cricket food that is probably safe...however aflatoxins have been known to make their way into processed pet foods and for that matter could do the same to cricket food.

Its a possibility...but an unlikely one.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Popcorn or corn on the cob

Postby Joan » Sun May 21, 2006 2:38 pm

gloryaf88 wrote:... Petsmart has a wonderful product that Pistol loves and it is found in the small animal section. It is small ears of corn that can be fed straight out of the bag or it can be placed in the microwave on the cob to pop.

I had those small ears (got them at Publix) of dried corn hanging in their cage. It only got eaten when the pups started coming out. :D
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Tue May 23, 2006 7:57 pm

are butternut squash seeds okay? my mom had a butternut squash today so i gave batman one of the seeds. he loved it. i figured since the squash was okay, the seeds were probably okay too, right?
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue May 23, 2006 8:32 pm

Flyers love seeds of all kind.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Wed May 24, 2006 7:55 pm

Darra wrote:
Flyers love seeds of all kind.

Wait til you get a chance to turn them loose on a watermelon! :twisted:

I can't wait! LOL!
Chris
Proud HOF to Nieve
3-24-06
Thank you always Avalon!

K0sM0s001
Flying Furball

Postby K0sM0s001 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:30 pm

Another thing with mealworms is it is easy to breed them from a batch from petsmart, and then refridgerate them (so they don't turn into beetles) for easy storage once the mealworms are big enough. It is also possible to breed crickets also, although they die easier.
***Future HOF***
Caretaker of cats Big, Binx and Cleo (The Three Stooges), Comet and Kataro (the gerbs) & Napoleon the betta. RIP Rikku & Snarf
¸.·´¯)¸.·*Jenna¸.·´¯)¸.·*
http://www.myspace.com/k0sm0s001
http://www.myspace.com/thebinxinator (my cat's)

Hammy
Baby Flyer

Veggies?

Postby Hammy » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:59 pm

Should all veggies be cooked or can they be given raw such as
broccoli, spinnach, brussle spouts, squash. etc.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:08 pm

Most should be raw.

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Not just seeds

Postby gloryaf88 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:26 am

voguemamselle619 wrote:are butternut squash seeds okay? my mom had a butternut squash today so i gave batman one of the seeds. he loved it. i figured since the squash was okay, the seeds were probably okay too, right?

It is not just the seeds they like. I buy acorn or butternut squash, cut a small hole in it and put the whole thing in Pistol's cage. He will work and work to get to the pulp and the seeds. The same is true with the small pumpkins. It is fun to watch and see how long they will work to get what they want.

Glorya owned by Pistol PEte

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:56 am

[quote="PPMN"]Not that I was going to give her any, but why not onions?

Onions are very bad for dogs; so must folks avoid them. We really don't know about flyers, but I put a lot of faith in their instinctive abilities. They have not been domesticated like dogs and I think they retain abilities that dogs have lost ... automatically knowing what to eat and what NOT to eat being one of them.

Also, I read (Deb) that they can have almonds, but I read on another FS site that they can't. Why would they say no?

You can read a LOT of misinformation. Again, no one knows for sure, but some people guess and state it as gospel. If they will eat it, they can. Possible exception being junk food and sweets ... they have a sweet tooth that overrides common sense. LOL

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:27 pm

I read everything everyone says, then wiegh my options. About the root veggies like onions, carrots, sweet potato, etc. Well, I don't think wild flyers dig in vegtable gardens for these foods, so I don't use them freqently. BUT... I have given some of them at times. I mean what could be harmful about a carrot? And of course the furballs agree some of the time. Mine have enjoyed raw sweet potato and carrot, but probably 'cause they are slightly sweet, not because of the valuable nutrition in them. Onions? Never gave them any. I'm a little more concerned about the arguments against them, and why would I want to Kiss a squirrel with raw onion on its breath. However, If a flyer did a snatch and run on a piece of onion in a salad I was eating, I wouldn't get all worried about chasing him down to get it away from him. btw, I have had a lot of stolen salad bits, but never onion.
On nuts; If the flyer likes it, let him have it. They know about nuts way better than we do :) Same with any weird looking fungus my mother brings them :D
About the sugar, Please everyone use some caution about what you let them get into and what kind of treats or even cereals you give them. Joan is absolutly right about this. Sugar is one thing we can give them that they will eat much more of than is good for them. And sugar can do plenty of harm that will shorten their lives. I love Joan's rule on chocolate that I use for any sugar that my flyer is begging me for or trying to steal. If I just can't stand denying him the treat, I give him/her a piece no bigger than his tiny palm.

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:22 am

A lot of small animals I have read about says do not give iceberg lettuce.
Wanda
:flyer:
Owned by Shelly, Rose
:smt049 Peanut, Bud & Dinky Always In My Heart :smt049
Parrot, Miniature Donkey & 1 human
And All My Lil Orphans

Lora
NFSA Member

Flyer Diet One Stop Shop

Postby Lora » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:26 pm

Yeah, we never gave iceberg lettuce to rabbits. Couldn't give them brocoli or cabbage either as it can cause gas & they have no way to get rid of it. They can't vomit either. Bojangles won't eat it anyway... big surprise, lol. I alternate his greens between kale, baby spinach, baby romaine & collard greens. Sometimes I top that with a bit of living alfalfa sprouts. When I was picking those up the other day I noticed brocoli sprouts. Has anyone tried those? I didn't get them because they were almost outdated. Publix sells baby romaine in plastic tubs. Has both the purple & green leaves. I love it because it keeps really well in the container. I've been saving the containers & putting my baby spinach & kale in them.

Lora
NFSA Member

Flyer Diet One Stop Shop

Postby Lora » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:41 am

That is exactly how I serve his food, lol. Lots of choices, arranged nicely. Fruit on one side, veggies on the other... greens in the middle with nuts and /or seeds sprinkled on top. Then he also gets a small dish of either baby food sweet potatos, fruit or yogurt. He always eats some of this. He picks at everything else. A bite here & there. The only other sure thing with him is acorns, his 1 Cheerio he MUST have in the morning (only 1, won't eat 2) & two new favorites... mini shredded wheat & these little veggie snack sticks I bought. My rabbits would have killed for what he sticks his nose up at. As far as cabbage goes I never tried it with them since all the literature I read said not to. Probably more a precautionary thing at the time. This was like 15 years ago. I'm sure alot has changed. Bobo Squirrel could care less about it.

Vickie
NFSA Member

Postby Vickie » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:35 pm

Well, after reading that it's okay for flyers to eat roses, I bought a package of edible flowers (organic) from the Fresh Market, in the section with herbs and sprouts. Barnie was mystified at first, but took a little nibble and then chowed down. I haven't got a clue what all the flowers are in the package, although I recognized pansies. The recipe on the package suggested I make rasberry lemonade and serve over ice cubes with flowers frozen into them. I think I'll submit a new serving suggestion: Take petal and place between paws of flying squirrel. Enjoy.
First Barnie, and now Jimmy--Zing, went the strings of my heart!

sarah110781
Juvie Pup

Postby sarah110781 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:55 am

What a great list...keep adding. Dont' forget things that are natural for them to eat from their habitat... I didn't see pinecones, lichens, etc. and do keep in mind Joan's wonderful attitude...God has blessing our "wild" friends with an instinctive ability to know what to eat...except sweets, which seems to be a problem for furballs and humans alike.

And just FYI, I have had great success with almonds, only fresh unroasted and in the shell, although I am a big sucker and tend to crack the nuts for my flyers!!
Sarah...proudly owned by:
Nestle and Tequila, the pups
Icarus, the Daredevil Flyer
Joy: the Easter bunny
Ruby, Max, Lloyd and Rainbow, the noisy birds
And always owned by my babies who have moved on: Oreo, Snickers, Kiwi and Ewok

NestleQuick
Flying Furball

Postby NestleQuick » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:40 pm

Well, since it's been brought up again, Nestle will absolutely KILL for a June Bug....so long as the June Bug has already been killed by Squammy, of course! :roll:
HOF to my little Nestle Quick

jvillereptile
Juvie Pup

Postby jvillereptile » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:59 am

what about collard greens my squirrel goes nuts every time i am feeding my lizards them. he runs out of my shirt just to snatch a piece out of my hand

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:07 am

jvillereptile wrote:what about collard greens my squirrel goes nuts every time i am feeding my lizards them. he runs out of my shirt just to snatch a piece out of my hand

Collard greens are fine. I buy one leaf of collard greens, kale, mustard and turnip greens for mine.
Wanda
:flyer:
Owned by Shelly, Rose
:smt049 Peanut, Bud & Dinky Always In My Heart :smt049
Parrot, Miniature Donkey & 1 human
And All My Lil Orphans

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:53 pm

shylo is currently in love with clementines. didn't see it on the list, but since oranges are ok, and they are related, i suppose they are ok. batman never liked citrus fruits much.
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

LaurenLovesFlyers
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby LaurenLovesFlyers » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:06 am

Heh. It's okay to laugh at this question.

But how on earth do you feed a flyer yogurt?
Put it on a spoon and let them like...like it off. Or do you put it in a dish.

I'm ordering my baby on sunday, so I'm getting the pre-HOF extreme jitters!
-Lauren-

Rest in peace Fidget, your mommy loves you dearly.

HOF to the bi-polar little boy Bandit <3

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:17 pm

You can start mixing it in with their formula - 2 parts water, 1 part Esbilac, 1/2 part yogurt. As you are weaning them, you can give them a small dish of yogurt with a little dry Esbilac mixed in it. Then slowly stop putting the Esbilac in it, until they are taking straight yogurt. All of mine, even the adults, love their yogurt, in most any flavor. They do NOT , however, like the kind with bits of fruit mixed in. They will very carefully eat all around the piece of fruit, and then the next morning it is just lying there, looking like some repulsive, unidentifyable 'thing'. Took me a while to get used to that! Just make sure it DOES have the live culture, and DOES NOT have artificial sweeteners.

Judy

LaurenLovesFlyers
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby LaurenLovesFlyers » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:57 pm

I was talking with somebody - and the topic of a calcium powder/liquid (ex. I bought repo-cal). She mentioned that that wouldn't be necessary because they should get the calcium they need through fruits and veggies. So, now I'm just stuck. I can see where she's coming from, but when I was first learning about flyers I saw "CALCIUM SUPPLEMENTS ARE A MUST" everywhere, so I'm stuck.

Is a calcium supplement like repo-cal needed if they are getting their fruits and veggies appropriately?
-Lauren-

Rest in peace Fidget, your mommy loves you dearly.

HOF to the bi-polar little boy Bandit <3

WantsAFlyer
Flying Furball

Postby WantsAFlyer » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:49 am

LaurenLovesFlyers wrote:Is a calcium supplement like repo-cal needed if they are getting their fruits and veggies appropriately?
Yep. It's not so much the calcium as the vitamin D3 that is in the Rep-cal or the liquid supplements. They can't absorb the calcium if they don't have any vit D3 in their systems. Other critters get vitamin D3 from the sun, but these guys are nocturnal so they need to be given a supplement with vitamin D3 in it. And while some veggies do have a lot of calcium, you have to remember that squirrels will most likely not always eat their veggies (just ask Lora with Bobo squirrel :wink: ). It's better to just stick to the rep-cal or liquid and calcium block. That way you know how much they're getting and they will have less of a chance of MBD.
Oh and you should invite your friend to join the board. :)

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:05 pm

It is definitely still required. In the wild, the life expectancy is much less than in captivity and many animals die of calcium deficiency ailments.
Chris

Proud HOF to Nieve

3-24-06

Thank you always Avalon!

DinNorman
NFSA Member

Postby DinNorman » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:00 am

Flyers love mosquito hawks. I used to feed them all the time and they went ape over them...really crunchy. I used to swat them with a badminton racquet and freeze them. The squirrels would eat them dead or alive. Never thought twice about removing that predator which would allow the mosquito population to increase. (I was a kid then living way down south). We dont see many up here in Oklahoma.

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Flyer Diet - One Stop Shop

Postby Joan » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:31 pm

Peeves wrote:... By the way has anyone tried those commercial food pellets? Its mostly alfalfa or timothy hay, depending on which kind you pick. Wheat grass

Mine wouldn't touch commerical pellets or the hay, but someone I know says theirs loves the Timothy. I haven't tried wheat grass unless that's you get in the pet stores for birds. Mine like to dig in the dirt, not eat the grass.

Peeves
Baby Flyer

Postby Peeves » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:01 pm

Piyo's nibbled here and there at timothy hay and grass. I don't think he likes it though.

malerris21
Juvie Pup

Postby malerris21 » Sun May 31, 2009 10:52 pm

Are apple seeds bad? I would imagine and apple core would be fun to chew on! The gray outside sure loves it when I toss apple cores out for her!

Iceberg lettuce doesn't really have any nutritional value, but good source of liquid - bad for rabbits because it can cause diarrhea. yeah, they do have sensitive systems :roll: Has anyone noticed this problem with their flyers?

Are apple branches no good for chewing?

Sorry if any of this is redundant, but even with a search there is so much info it can be tough to find the answers I'm looking for, and who knows, maybe new info has emerged in the meantime....

Thanks!

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:46 pm

If they eat it, it's OK. Same with chewing. Mine like apple seeds. They eat them first, then the apple. Same with squashes. They go for the seeds first. I skip lettuce for spinach.

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:27 pm

I would not give your guy a granola bar because granola bars often have candy like things in them such as caramel, chocolate, and marshmellows and corn syrup as well. Too much sugar is bad for them.
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

hibiscus071886
Juvie Pup

Postby hibiscus071886 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:19 pm

Are Cranberries good for them? do you know?
~*Kimberly*~

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:21 pm

I've given them, but mine didn't like then ... others said theirs did. You'll just have to try and see.

hibiscus071886
Juvie Pup

Postby hibiscus071886 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:09 pm

Well he did eat a cranberry, but then didn't touch another so I'm not sure if he liked them lol he likes Almonds though :) just gave him one today.
~*Kimberly*~

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:39 pm

They love something one day and hate it the next. :twisted:

hibiscus071886
Juvie Pup

Postby hibiscus071886 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:00 pm

I just fed Rocky a little piece of pear to see if he would like it. He loved it lol so after I was done with eating the pear I left him the core :) hes up there in his cage munching on it now. :D
~*Kimberly*~

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:00 pm

Just don't give too much .... it loosens their bowls and is often used as a treatment for constipation. :wink:

Return to “Adult FS Diet”