Calcium Sources

Lora
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Re: Calcium Sources

Postby Lora » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:42 am

I've been using the liquid Calcivet for about 3 mos now. I put a couple drops in his yogurt or baby food sweet potatos. Since it has vitamin D3 & calcium I stopped using the L&M vitamins. Should I be giving both?

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:45 pm

Lora wrote:... Since it has vitamin D3 & calcium I stopped using the L&M vitamins. Should I be giving both?

No, too much D3 is as bad as too little. We don't know the vitamin requirements of flyers, but a good varied diet should provide what's need. When it comes to supplements, more is not best.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

TWilson
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby TWilson » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:50 pm

Okay, this calcium issue has me a little confused. I understand the 2:1 ratio, I have gliders and feed fruits and veggies with good ratios. My gliders eat HPW, it has all the necessary vitamins in it so no calcium supplement is needed.
For my flyer, I am giving him the LM drops in his water, and is doing well in drinking the water. I also have a cuddlebone/mineral block combo and he has tasted that too.

My questions is, do I still need to sprinkle the calcium powder on his fruits and veggies with what I am offering now? Too many vitamins can be as dangerous as too little, and I want to make sure I am giving what is needed and not over supplementing.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:46 pm

[quote="TWilson"]... My questions is, do I still need to sprinkle the calcium powder on his fruits and veggies with what I am offering now?

No
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

phineasmom
Baby Flyer

Postby phineasmom » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:25 am

My flyer won't eat anything with calcium dusted on it. I put hamster vitamins in his water that has the D3 but no calcium. He LOVES Henry's Healthy Blocks and will occasionally eat his veggies but mostly, he wants the blocks. I am wondering, if he eats two HHB's per day, isn't he getting the calcium and vitamins that he needs in that? I am thinking that I could just give him plain water if the blocks have everything he needs. I do also have a cuttlebone in his cage but he really doesn't use it much. It has some scratches in it but I think that may be from his claws.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:32 am

I'm not sure, but I think you shouldn't supplement if your flyer is eating Henry's Blocks. I'll ask Judy to respond.

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:56 am

phineasmom wrote:My flyer won't eat anything with calcium dusted on it. I put hamster vitamins in his water that has the D3 but no calcium. He LOVES Henry's Healthy Blocks and will occasionally eat his veggies but mostly, he wants the blocks. I am wondering, if he eats two HHB's per day, isn't he getting the calcium and vitamins that he needs in that? I am thinking that I could just give him plain water if the blocks have everything he needs. I do also have a cuttlebone in his cage but he really doesn't use it much. It has some scratches in it but I think that may be from his claws.

The HHB should take care of all vitamin, mineral, calcium requirements. I assume that you are feeding the flyer-sized blocks. (If they are the regular squirrel size, then one regular = two flyer size.) He does need to eat his veggies, though, as well as wild foods that you gather. Try giving him the veggies and one block first, and then the second block after he has eaten the veggies. If that doesn't work, save both the blocks until he has eaten his veggies. Plain water is fine - no calcium needed. As for the cuttlebone, he will chew on it if he needs extra calcium. Mine usually don't use it, except for expecting and nursing mommas - they will hit it pretty hard while they are growing babies. Then the pups will chew on it while they are weaning.

Sounds like you are doing fine with him. The HHB sure are nice - that way you know your flyer is getting all the good stuff he needs, and you don't have to worry about it.

Judy C.

phineasmom
Baby Flyer

Postby phineasmom » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:33 am

OK...so I will stop putting the vitamins in his water but will watch and make sure nothing changes. I am using the flyer size blocks but that is good to know that I could just feed one of the regular size blocks and get the same nutrition. It seems to me like it was a bit less expensive to buy the larger ones. I just ordered 3 months worth of flyer blocks so I won't have to worry about that again for awhile. Phineas does eat his veggies but he definitely prefers the HHB's. It is hard to tell how much he is actually eating because he nibbles on everything and makes a big mess. For some reason, he won't eat broccoli. I always find it on the floor of the cage so when he is eating he must toss that out of the bowl and off the shelf right away.

Funny story: I put a bird perch in his cage that looked like it had hickory nuts strung on a wire in a circle. I has been there for several months and the other day I noticed that there was a hole in one of the nuts. I started checking the rest of them and he has eaten all but 5 of them. Maybe that is why he wasn't eating his veggies! I always hold back on the nuts until it looks like he is eating his good foods but he was stealing them from the perch.

Return to “Adult FS Diet”