HEDGE APPLES/HORSE APPLES

tosha_m_1981
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

HEDGE APPLES/HORSE APPLES

Postby tosha_m_1981 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:37 pm

i thought that there was a topic on this but i have been searching for an hour now and can't seem to find it? Are they good to give Libra and Taurus?
Tosha

Proudly owned by Libra(F) Taurus(M) Cosmo (M)
Mother to Rebecca and Tara
Jasmine the Cat and Miss Priss the dog In loving Memory of my lil Rascal (momma's baby boy)

Airstreamlady
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Airstreamlady » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:54 pm

Tosha, I found an old apple tree in the country today. Mine are getting a tender limb to nibble on tonight.
- Patti -
The Official Poopologist
Squammy to Peaches and Sweet Pea

KyAndPete
Baby Flyer
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: HEDGE APPLES/HORSE APPLES

Postby KyAndPete » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:12 am

Sorry to bump this post, it is old, but it was unanswered. Assuming by Hedge Apple you are talking about Maclura pomifera.
AKA osage orange. It has toxins in it but they are rarely deadly because no mammal would ever eat a Osage Orange fruit, maybe just a sniff or a lick. Maclura pomifera was an enigma to botanists for many year. How could something have a dispersal mechanism that is a grapefruit sized ugly fruit that is not eaten by mammals or birds or even insects. But yet small populations of them existed throughout North America. And the fossil record suggested it was dense and ubiquitous in North America. HOW? Then someone found a wooly mammoth with hedge apple seeds in the stomach. Thus its dispersal mechanisms became extinct and it is surviving in small pockets. Pioneers would dry them and use the caustic fragrance to keep away rodents and insects.
I would not feed hedge apple to your squirrel and if you take the seeds out I would advise not feeding the seeds also, because of the latex like white sap. To many other good things to eat. Like real apples.

Return to “Adult FS Diet”