He won't eat anything but bird food!

dragonangeleyes1
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

He won't eat anything but bird food!

Postby dragonangeleyes1 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:58 pm

So I rescued a SFS from someone who had no idea what he was doing, and the food he was on was strictly a bird food with a lot of nuts. I've switched him onto the nuts and fruit mix (I think it's called that, the one from Walmart that Joan suggests), and he's eating that just fine, but he won't eat anything else! He'll take pecans from me, and occasionally a mealie, but I've put just about every type of fruit and veggie in there, along with yogurt, wax worms, mealies... he won't touch any of it. It's always there the next morning. Any advice on how to get some good food into him? Thanks!!
Owned by Rocky SFS,
Flower skunk, Chewie Pomchi, Roscoe Corgi, Fennore Husky, Jareth Vendetta and Tigger cats, and Hopper Beethovan Petey Kodo Podo Brute Elfie and Bageera Ferrets!

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened ~ Anatole France

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: He won't eat anything but bird food!

Postby Joan » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:05 pm

dragonangeleyes1 wrote:... Any advice on how to get some good food into him?

Take all the other stuff away from him. He won't starve himself. Tough Love!
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

dragonangeleyes1

Postby dragonangeleyes1 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:32 pm

Joan wrote: Take all the other stuff away from him. He won't starve himself. Tough Love!

Take away the staple bird food? Is that safe?
Owned by Rocky SFS,
Flower skunk, Chewie Pomchi, Roscoe Corgi, Fennore Husky, Jareth Vendetta and Tigger cats, and Hopper Beethovan Petey Kodo Podo Brute Elfie and Bageera Ferrets!

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened ~ Anatole France

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:40 pm

dragonangeleyes1 wrote:... Take away the staple bird food? Is that safe?

Yes, he won't starve. If you want him to eat veggies and fruit, you'll have to take away the bird seed and nuts. Nuts in the shell OK ... he can work for those. Let him have the seed mix once a week if he starts eating other foods.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

dragonangeleyes1

Postby dragonangeleyes1 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:56 pm

Joan wrote:
dragonangeleyes1 wrote:... Take away the staple bird food? Is that safe?

Yes, he won't starve. If you want him to eat veggies and fruit, you'll have to take away the bird seed and nuts. Nuts in the shell OK ... he can work for those. Let him have the seed mix once a week if he starts eating other foods.

OK! I'll try it! Thanks!
Owned by Rocky SFS,

Return to “Adult FS Diet”