Rodent Blocks

Leita
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Rodent Blocks

Postby Leita » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:09 pm

I took my Goliath to an exotic animal vet the other day and she told me that I should be feeding him rodent blocks for about 90% of his diet. Does this sound right?

lynn
Flying Furball

Re: Rodent Blocks

Postby lynn » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:57 pm

I have heard that before for all squirrels and rodents. I have never had much luck getting them to actually eat it, though. I did just recently buy a bag, and my crowd nibble on them then throw them away. I pick them back up (assuming they missed the water bowl or other damp area) and put them somewhere they will find them again later. I don't think I would want to make it 90% of their diet, though.
Lynn's spastic nuts: Bunpei, Boeing, Calypso, Dixie, and Piper.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:34 pm

The only way I would be able to get mine to eat them would be to take everything else away and feed only that. I think a varied diet is good ... that's what they get in the wild. We just make sure it's a "good" variety.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

immatater
Flying Furball

Postby immatater » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:29 pm

I've heard that many won't eat the rodent block but mine do. My male actually likes them quite a bit. He'll eat most of the block and then I'll find a pea sized bit left over. Maybe he doesn't have room to hold and gnaw that bit at the same time? LOL! Anyhow. I wouldn't make it 90% of the diet but maybe offer a few and see if they go for them.

a8r9b
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby a8r9b » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:42 pm

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to know if any of you suggested to use Henry's Healthy Blocks. http://henryspets.com/ For a supplement for our flyers.

It seems to be recommended by a lot of rehabs and hobby breeders on the squirrel forums.

Do you guys have any reviews or suggestions on them since they have a flyer specific formula for the blocks?

toiveajattelu
Flying Furball

Postby toiveajattelu » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:09 am

My flyer gets a couple Henry's flyer blocks a night. I tried using calcium/vitamin D3 powders and drops before switching to the blocks. She wouldn't eat any other kind of supplement that I tried, but she loves the blocks. She still eats mostly veggies, and she seems to vary how much of the blocks she eats each night, sometimes leaving them mostly uneaten. She is very healthy, but I don't know enough about flyer nutrition to say how much that has to do with feeding her the blocks (and I think there hasn't been sufficient research done on flyer nutrition for even the folks at Henry's to claim that they've got the perfect ratios in their products). I would recommend them along with a varied diet of other foods.

Return to “Adult FS Diet”