Seed Mix Type and Diet Questions

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Seed Mix Type and Diet Questions

Postby spiritedaway20 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:05 am

Well, since Reepacheep died, I have been paranoid about about this new boy's bodyweight and fat! I feel he will be done with weaning soon, so I'd really like to finally decide on a solid staple seed and nut diet I can use to supplement his fruits and veggies and I want to ditch the wild bird food he has been nibbling on.

I'm going out shopping tomorrow...but I want to strart fresh and get some input on a diet since reepacheep was so underweight (which was probably genetic but I want to get my diet more fine tuned and up to date anyway):

-What is the optimum fat to protein ratio? Sorry if it's on here and I missed it.

-Sunflower seeds, i've heard, are quite bad for rats/parrots in the amounts regulalry found in premixed commerical diets, so just how much should be in a flyer diet?

-would a hamster/gerbil mix be better than parrot/wild bird mix (vitamin and fat/protein wise)?

-Can I do without the premixed seeds and just make my own seed mix at a bulk food container and using cereals, noodles, etc? (based on a home made rat diet and adding flyer stuff to it)

-What are the staple nuts I should give him? I gave reepacheep Almonds, pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts and peanuts. How many nuts a day?

-How much of veggies, fruit, nuts and seed mix (whatever I decide on) should I give him a day? Or should I do mostly nuts with seeds one day, seeds and fruit another with a nut or two, and then seeds and veggies with a nut or two ?

I realize some of this is up to preference, butr most of you have more experience than I and my diet may have been wrong or out dated, so any input is appreciated. I wish we knew more about vitamin requirements :-\

flyer_1
NFSA Member
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Seed Mix Type and Diet Questions

Postby flyer_1 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:30 pm

I do not know about the ratio of fat but Venette from Helen's Little Critters has a good seed diet If you call her she can help you :)
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:35 pm

I know you are paranoid about this, but try and relax. I've given mine everything you've mentioned. The trick is a varied diet. I tend to get "wild" critter stuff because it usually is unsuplemented. That's important if you're giving vit/calcium supplements. I leave in shelled nuts available all the time. Also a home made mixture much as you described. Fresh fruits and veggies to be removed the next day if uneaten. I drag in stuff from the woods and they either eat it or ignore it.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member

Postby spiritedaway20 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:16 am

flyer_1 wrote:I do not know about the ratio of fat but Venette from Helen's Little Critters has a good seed diet If you call her she can help you :)

Thanks you for your input. I don't know the source of the seed she gets nor do I know what's in it or what it's sprayed with, so I think I'll have to pass on that. Thank you for the idea though!

Joan wrote:I know you are paranoid about this, but try and relax. I've given mine everything you've mentioned. The trick is a varied diet. I tend to get "wild" critter stuff because it usually is unsuplemented. That's important if you're giving vit/calcium supplements. I leave in shelled nuts available all the time. Also a home made mixture much as you described. Fresh fruits and veggies to be removed the next day if uneaten. I drag in stuff from the woods and they either eat it or ignore it.

WHAT? RELAX? WHAT'S THAT? (joking) lol I'm trying (and failing a bit...but getting better!). All of the wild bird seed/critter stuff I have ever seen have been all sprayed with vitamins. I'll take your advice and just do mainly my own mix, but vary it up with occasional organic store bought mixes and such so that he can get different vitamins (I will not add my own supplements on days I give the store bought mix, for example). I understand what you're saying..if I vary the veggies, seeds, fruits and nuts too he'll get a good bunch of different vitamins and I'll have all my bases covered. I suppose I am putting way too much thought into this lol I'll focus on getting good, varied organic ingredients for the little buggar.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:23 am

spiritedaway20 wrote:WHAT? RELAX? WHAT'S THAT?

When you plant your own organic garden, we'll know you've gone too far and will plan an intervention. :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:58 pm

Oops! You mean that an organic flyer garden is a bit 'over the top'? :oops:

I have stopped giving my flyers any sort of seed mix. For one thing, I don't know what is in it in the way of vitamins and such, and for another, there are always so many of the seeds that they don't like. So mine now get sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds occasionally. (I do fix my own pumpkin seeds - we bought about 50 pumpkins after Halloween, and have been getting the seeds out, washing them, and then drying them in the oven. The guinea pigs are getting awfully tired of pumpkin shell for dinner, however!) I give the flyers lots of veggies, fruit, yogurt and in-shell nuts. I'm also collecting and freezing lots of acorns now....they eat good and don't seem to miss the seed mix. Another thing I do is buy the ornamental kale plants and put them in the cage, pot and all. They eat the kale and just go wild with the dirt!!

Judy C.

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:34 pm

She doesn't use anything that's been sprayed with harmful chemicals,she's very good at what she doe's and also the most knowledgeable flyer breeder I know, she sells over a hundred flyers a year and deals with many more she breeds her own stalk,and that's the stuff she uses it for ALL of them,she also sells It, but you want to look around and find something that works for you and for your flyers :D , good luck :) Sorry I couldn't help :(

R.I.P Taz

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member

Postby spiritedaway20 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:20 pm

Joan wrote:
spiritedaway20 wrote:WHAT? RELAX? WHAT'S THAT?

When you plant your own organic garden, we'll know you've gone too far and will plan an intervention. :twisted:

LOL! You know I would though if I could :-p (for me and my critters). The concrete jungle is not very garden-friendly. :(

Judy C. wrote:Oops! You mean that an organic flyer garden is a bit 'over the top'? :oops:

I have stopped giving my flyers any sort of seed mix. For one thing, I don't know what is in it in the way of vitamins and such, and for another, there are always so many of the seeds that they don't like. So mine now get sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds occasionally. (I do fix my own pumpkin seeds - we bought about 50 pumpkins after Halloween, and have been getting the seeds out, washing them, and then drying them in the oven. The guinea pigs are getting awfully tired of pumpkin shell for dinner, however!) I give the flyers lots of veggies, fruit, yogurt and in-shell nuts. I'm also collecting and freezing lots of acorns now....they eat good and don't seem to miss the seed mix. Another thing I do is buy the ornamental kale plants and put them in the cage, pot and all. They eat the kale and just go wild with the dirt!!

Judy C.

lol That's what I was worried about (not knowing what's in it), but if I get the organic mix and only feed occasionally for seed variety with my own mix, I figured it might be ok.Oo homemade pumpkins seeds are a good idea (for me and my flyer lol). What's an ornamental kale plant and where do you get it? Is it the same thing as in the grocery store? oh dear...flyers and dirt...lol I bet that's crazy fun time in squirrel land. Thanks for the input!

flyer_1 wrote:She doesn't use anything that's been sprayed with harmful chemicals,she's very good at what she doe's and also the most knowledgeable flyer breeder I know, she sells over a hundred flyers a year and deals with many more she breeds her own stalk,and that's the stuff she uses it for ALL of them,she also sells It, but you want to look around and find something that works for you and for your flyers :D , good luck :) Sorry I couldn't help :(

That's alright, you tried to help :). All input is appreciated! I didn't say anything about chemicals, but It could very well be preserved with them for all I know (unless I have the ingredient list and know for sure it's organic). I have seen the mix she uses and it is most likely sprayed with vitamins, but because there is no ingreident list, i don't know how much and of what which is bad since I will be. It looks like a parrot mix, as can be seen from the large mutli-colored cookies included in the mix. Unfortunately, unless she makes it herself, you can't guarantee that it isn't sprayed with vitamins or that it's organic. :-\ If you have th actual bag and it says it's organic with an ingredient list, I stand corrected of course!

I wish I didn't live in the city. I'd love to go outside and gather food like you two do! It's so incredibly not safe to do here since everything is perfectly manicured and subject to car pollution and pesticides. I think I am going to start off with a home made mix and then try some organic pre mixed stuff if I like the ingredients. I think the nuts are easy peasy so far since you can't really go wrong with nuts made for human consumption.

On another note....have any of you ever tried taking non-toxic branches and soaking them in fruit juice as a nibble treat? Would that mold? I've always wanted to try it, but I wasn't sure about the mold thing.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:39 am

spiritedaway20 wrote: On another note....have any of you ever tried taking non-toxic branches and soaking them in fruit juice as a nibble treat? Would that mold? I've always wanted to try it, but I wasn't sure about the mold thing.

Sounds like an interesting idea. I think it would mold,but if you remove them after a night or two, shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure that the wood used is OK if injested. I know you can buy apple twig for chewing. Don't know what other twigs are used. BTW, I pull moldy stashed stuff out all the time ... they don't seem to want something once it gets mold.

toiveajattelu
Flying Furball

Postby toiveajattelu » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:26 pm

I've never been able to find a wild seed mix that didn't say somewhere on the packaging that it hadn't been "fortified" or sprayed with vitamins. Wish I knew of a brand that just bagged seeds and let them be!

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:43 pm

Your safe that's a good thing, I'm like that too but she doe's not put vit sup :D on It she uses calcium the repcal fine powder I just want every one to know how safe she Is. I hope you find what your. looking for.

R.I.P Taz

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member

Postby spiritedaway20 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:44 pm

Joan wrote:Sounds like an interesting idea. I think it would mold,but if you remove them after a night or two, shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure that the wood used is OK if injested. I know you can buy apple twig for chewing. Don't know what other twigs are used. BTW, I pull moldy stashed stuff out all the time ... they don't seem to want something once it gets mold.

Ok. Worth trying I guess then and removing it after a day or so. We all know they don't need to be encourgaed to chew! Not a big deal if he's not a fan.

toiveajattelu wrote:I've never been able to find a wild seed mix that didn't say somewhere on the packaging that it hadn't been "fortified" or sprayed with vitamins. Wish I knew of a brand that just bagged seeds and let them be!

Yeah I know that would be nice if they just mixed it and let it be lol :-\ I am going to go to the bulk bins of Whole Foods or Trader Joes if they have them. I have no idea if they have Hannfords around here.

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member

Postby spiritedaway20 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:07 pm

well, I had no luck finding bulk food bins around here. I haven't tried whole foods yet. If I can't do that, I will probably try to order it online and use the organic bird mix I have for now instead of the unknown stuff from the breeder. I'll report back when I make my own mix! It'll take me a bit to figure out what he likes and what I will put in there, but it should be fun :)

Return to “Adult FS Diet”