Possibly bad foods that seemed ok?

Azrail
Juvie Pup
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Possibly bad foods that seemed ok?

Postby Azrail » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:21 am

Ok I too am getting "pre-hof" jitters. So I'm going to ask a few questions and make a few cooments. Reply if you have the time.. Thanks :bday:

I never had a problem giving my horses whole apples... but the seeds do have poison in them though some of you say they love the seeds?
Links to a snopes myth buster type article: http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/apples.asp It's about arsenic type chemicals found in apple seeds. Though horses have sensitive digestive systems they are large enough to take the small does but what about SFS?

Lettuce.. not even going to bother with it. I don't care for it I like spinach. I've worked in two pet stores in my career and we never fed it to anything. It's like a filler.

Bait store bait... yack. I'm to afraid of internal parasites... protozoa and such. Lemme see if I can find an article. (it's mainly caused by feces *eww*) http://www.springerlink.com/content/q0ckjk2trcyj30tg/

Wild caught bugs are to worrisome for a future hof so I'm going to try and resist the urge to catch stuff. I once had a customer that had bought a gecko and fed her a big black cricket they found outside... though I found it endearing that they had hunted for their pet the poor thing ended up getting bloated with a parasite and well the poor thing did not live through it... this was years ago and I can still remember the look on the little boys face. I took what tips I had made from my dog grooming jobs that day and bought him a fire bellied toad. Though I'm sure it didn't do much for his sorrow he learned a valuable lesson as did I. you can't trust things outside as it will sometimes bring them back down to their life expectancy found in the wild. Though it is natural it is hard on our hearts.

Broccoli... well it gives me gas... what does a squirrel fart sound like?

(OK I'm trying to lighten my own mood at this point)

Is walmart still selling the food most of you feed?

cappy
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Re: Possibly bad foods that seemed ok?

Postby cappy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:53 am

my girls have always ate apple slices with seeds and all. seems like the seed is a treasure to them and i have watched them devour them.
matt (cappy) hov to mermaid,lorelie,and now compass II. :usa
i will miss you compass....you were a tough boat girl..enjoy the rainbow bridge.
matt&charlotte-owned by:rocky,cappy,
mermaid&lorelie

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:06 pm

Azrail wrote:I never had a problem giving my horses whole apples... but the seeds do have poison in them though some of you say they love the seeds?
Links to a snopes myth buster type article: http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/apples.asp It's about arsenic type chemicals found in apple seeds. Though horses have sensitive digestive systems they are large enough to take the small does but what about SFS?

Is walmart still selling the food most of you feed?

I no longer feed mine a store-bought staple seed mix. I do feed pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and oatmeal sometimes, and I keep in-shell nuts in the cage for them at all times. I don't go out of my way to feed my flyers apple or pear seeds, but I don't drive myself crazy trying to get every little one out, either. On the other hand, I don't really feed a whole lot of apples or pears. Mine don't get too much fruit on a regular basis, and when they do, it's more likely to be blueberries, blackberries, cranberries, or oranges and tangerines. I feed a lot of veggies - kale, broccolli, leaf lettuce, tomatos, mushrooms, squash, cucumbers, sugar snap peas, etc. I also feed Dannon's Natural Vanilla yogurt every other day or so. For 'just weaning' pups and pregnant or nursing mommas, or for ill flyers,I mix some dry formula into the yogurt. I feed HHB every day - I make my own from the recipe provided in Nutrition on TSB.

Judy C.

Azrail
Juvie Pup

Postby Azrail » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:03 pm

Thanks for the good into and tips. =D>

Azrail
Juvie Pup

Postby Azrail » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:00 am

Oh and Cappy that is a REALLY awesome tat you've got there. I'm 27 and I've had piercing but have shyed away from tattoos which is odd for me since I have always been a bit on the alternative side. The bottom layer of my hair towards the nape of my neck is currently bright royal purple. Of course my career in cosmetology offers a little extra room for that kind of thing but I still get some weird looks (but also a lot of compliments). Sorry this is a little off topic but hey a compliment should fir anywhere right? Lol

cappy
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby cappy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:22 pm

thank you...it is my favorite. :D
i will miss you compass....you were a tough boat girl..enjoy the rainbow bridge.

matt&charlotte-owned by:rocky,cappy,

mermaid&lorelie

Return to “Adult FS Diet”