Flying Squirrel and Sugar Gliders

Got a favorite website? Post a link here!
(not endorsed by the NFSA)
Bean
Juvie Pup
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Flying Squirrel and Sugar Gliders

Postby Bean » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:14 am

Moca [sn] sent this to me a while ago, and I liked it. It answered all my questions about people mistaking Flying Squirrels and Sugar Gliders.

http://www.katiedid.net/
Dave Bean,

One of the many people today diagnosed with cronic SQUIRRELISM, also known as love and obsesion of squirrels.

Please help me become an HOF! Anyone going from Texas toward me, send me a message!

The Rock's Laura
NFSA Member

Postby The Rock's Laura » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:38 pm

Animal Planet had on Pet Stars last week. There was a woman with a Sugar Glider and she told the audience (and Mario) that it was a flying squirrel. She did say it was an opposum, a marsupiel, but never once said Sugar Glider. She kept referring to it as a flying squirrel. I was shouting at the TV, "Sugar Glider you dope. You have a chance to educate people here and you're giving them bad information, SUGAR GLIDER NOT FLYING SQUIRREL". !!!!
:love7: I was joyfully owned by
6 1/2 yr old
ROCKIE, a gift in my life.
Rest in Peace my baby boy 9/4/2002 - 5/24/2009

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:54 pm

OK then, just have Rockie write them a letter volunteering to come on and show them there real difference.

PS Let us know when it'll be on TV. :D
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

jinglejoys
Baby Flyer

Postby jinglejoys » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:17 pm

I have "Guide to owning Chipmunks and similar species" in the tfh series and there is a whole chapter on "Flying Squirrels" with lovely photos of Sugar Gliders! In the Southern Flying Squirrel page under the Sugar Glider picture it says "A typical Flying Squirrel.Flying Squirrels make great pets.This kind of flying squirrel is called a Sugar Glider."

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:26 am

Laura I was watching that same show and laughing at how stupid she was. Please let us know when you will be on TV. I sure want to tape it. Maybe the NFSA needs to send that program a picture of a flyer and a sugar glider and explain that they are not alike???? Maybe they could be a little educated on the difference when people bring in their "flyers"/sugar glider.
:queen: Ms. BayBea Belle, :tink: Tinkerbelle,
:fly: Linus, :occasion2: Baby Oops, and :love1: Daphne

Gail's (Deep South Home for Flyer Foundlings )

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:30 am

Just send them a copy of Katie-did's site!

Judy

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed May 18, 2005 8:34 pm

Love your quote! :D
Last edited by Joan on Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Wed May 18, 2005 11:39 pm

Thank you very much. I got a kick out of it - seemed to be fitting, somehow!

Judy

Kiwisgirl
Flying Furball

Postby Kiwisgirl » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:25 pm

The Rock's Laura Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:38 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Animal Planet had on Pet Stars last week. There was a woman with a Sugar Glider and she told the audience (and Mario) that it was a flying squirrel. She did say it was an opposum, a marsupiel, but never once said Sugar Glider. She kept referring to it as a flying squirrel. I was shouting at the TV, "Sugar Glider you dope. You have a chance to educate people here and you're giving them bad information, SUGAR GLIDER NOT FLYING SQUIRREL". !!!!

that kind of stuff irritates me so much, one of the reason I dont like to take kiwi out in public. one man asked me about my "sugar glider" and I told him it was a flying squirrel. he said" no that a sugar glider my kids have one". I then again told him it was a flying squirrel. he said again no I think thats a sugar glider, maybe you have you species confused. I then told him I bought her from a flying squirrel breeder and then he said that must not be a very reputable breeder because thats a sugar glider. at that point I was very ticked off that he was calling my baby a sugar glider(I dont know why but ive always disliked sugar glider with a passion). and I told him that she was a flying squirrel and walked off. It drives me cazy, and so many people have called Kiwi a sugar glider and I have to tell and show them that she is a flying squirrel before they believe me. Ok venting time is over. Kayla
Kayla

Owned by:
Kiwi :smt051
Dash :silly:

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:07 pm

[quote="Kiwisgirl"] ... It drives me cazy, and so many people have called Kiwi a sugar glider and I have to tell and show them that she is a flying squirrel before they believe me. Ok venting time is over. Kayla

I just say that most people don't know the difference and most have never seen a flyer because rarely do pet stores carry them and most have never seen them in the wild because they are noctournal. If they insist, I say it's a common mistake and go on my way. :wink:

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:37 pm

Kiwisgirl wrote:
The Rock's Laura Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:38 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that kind of stuff irritates me so much, one of the reason I dont like to take kiwi out in public. one man asked me about my "sugar glider" and I told him it was a flying squirrel. he said" no that a sugar glider my kids have one". I then again told him it was a flying squirrel. he said again no I think thats a sugar glider, maybe you have you species confused. I then told him I bought her from a flying squirrel breeder and then he said that must not be a very reputable breeder because thats a sugar glider. at that point I was very ticked off that he was calling my baby a sugar glider(I dont know why but ive always disliked sugar glider with a passion). and I told him that she was a flying squirrel and walked off. It drives me cazy, and so many people have called Kiwi a sugar glider and I have to tell and show them that she is a flying squirrel before they believe me. Ok venting time is over. Kayla

It annoys me when prople do stupid stuff like that, especially when they are so insistant. I could see why people could get them mixed up, but they have very different colorations and no one should be so insistant unless they are completely sure of what they are talking about.

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Re: Flying Squirrel and Sugar Gliders

Postby krups1110 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:41 pm

Bean wrote:Moca [sn] sent this to me a while ago, and I liked it. It answered all my questions about people mistaking Flying Squirrels and Sugar Gliders.

http://www.katiedid.net/

I think that that site is really great. It was the site that I used to decide that I wanted to get a flying squirrel over a sugar glider. The part about the flying squirrels has very good care information and it also some great links including many cage designs.

Moca
Flying Furball

Postby Moca » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:09 am

The Rock's Laura wrote:Animal Planet had on Pet Stars last week. There was a woman with a Sugar Glider and she told the audience (and Mario) that it was a flying squirrel. , SUGAR GLIDER NOT FLYING SQUIRREL". !!!!

I saw that too and I was yelling the same thing...
Protect wildlife,keep ye cat indoors.
www.abcbirds.org
:coffee: Moca

CatStina
Flying Furball

Postby CatStina » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:31 pm

I never knew how different the two looked! thanx for the site! I will definatly not be mistaking one for the other any time soon, lol!
~t Christina j~
Loving Squammy of Emo (RIP, 3/17/2006-6/15/2012)

Mom to Bowie the Fat Cat, Ziggy the Tiny Cat, Saxon the Staffordshire Bull Terrier and Neljä and Viisi the gerbils

Moca
Flying Furball

Postby Moca » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:49 am

And if your ever in doubt,and it's a female,the POUCH is a dead giveaway this ain't no squirrel!
:)
Protect wildlife,keep ye cat indoors.

www.abcbirds.org

:coffee: Moca

KrazyKritter
Baby Flyer

Postby KrazyKritter » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:38 am

... nevermind that a glider is a MAMMAL, and a squirrel is a RODENT..

I get just the opposite with my gliders.. "Hey, look.. a flyind squirrel".. I'm like.. No... a sugar glider.. there is a HUGE difference.

Never_Squirrels
NFSA Member

Postby Never_Squirrels » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:08 pm

KrazyKritter wrote:... nevermind that a glider is a MAMMAL, and a squirrel is a RODENT..

I get just the opposite with my gliders.. "Hey, look.. a flyind squirrel".. I'm like.. No... a sugar glider.. there is a HUGE difference.

You mean to say marsupial KK. Rodents are mammals. Both squirrels and gliders are mammals.

And as far as this topic goes I've had a few people think Eeyore is a sugar glider and it's annoying. I hope I don't get any insistent fools trying to tell me I'm wrong. :)
:smt057 Bev & Ian :smt057
owned by Eeyore
http://www.BeverStreem.com/italy

jon_meadowbrook
Juvie Pup

Postby jon_meadowbrook » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:10 pm

I wish there were more websites about the differences in these animals. More info would be awesome!

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:43 pm

LOL this is so funny and it's happened to me before. Like before I had Isobella there was a guy on my train who had a little head peeking out of his pocket so I took a look made sure it was a flyer and told him his flyer was mad cute. The guy looked up and almost hugged me...I was like what on earth? He's just all like your the only person to call her a flyer and not a glider. I'm like really...how do you not tell the difference...We had a really ineresting conversation about the two. Actually he was the one to convince me to get a flyer and not a glider. This sound familiar to anyone? the guy said he wasx in montana....
Owned by
Madamoiselle Artemis Isobella D'Antionette
Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

Bejammie
NFSA Member

Postby Bejammie » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:41 pm

it would really irritate me/piss me off to have someone tell me I was wrong about MY pet. I'm pretty sure I would have said a few four letter words and told the guy exactly how intelligent he really was.... grrness
♠ Allison ♠
Squammy to Delilah and Timber
-Always remembering my little wild guy, Sprocket- gliding free in those southern breezes-
-The life of a lamb is no less precious to me than that of a human being.- Ghandi

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:20 pm

Meh, I supose. but people make mistakes. I know ive been instistant enough when im pretty sure im right....just to then have to eat crow when it turns out im not ^_^
I had a new vet that saw rogue at one point. he kept referring to Rogue as a suggi, and I'd refer to her as SFS. he kept giving me thies "are your stupid looks"
I mean the lights were dim for her and all but it wasn't untill he tryed to exsplain the diffrences between a glider and a flyer that i finaly was like, "yes, I know.....now look closer"
I guess he was just so use to seeing gliders that he automaticly assumed I had one and wasn't untill he actualy stoped and took a closer look that he relized his mistake.
poor guy....seemed realy embarassed about it too.
lead to a realy intresting convo about diet and hormonal changes though so it was well worth it! ^_^

Return to “Favorite FS Websites”