Flyer Friendly/Unfriendly States

Laws differ by state. Stay in the know.
Wanda
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Flyer Friendly/Unfriendly States

Postby Wanda » Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:18 pm

Anyone who knows for the states where Southern Flying Squirrels are legal and illegal, please post and they will be added to the proper list. Please check the laws of the cities and county in your state.

:lover: A. Legal States :lover:
(Southern Flying Squirrels allowed as Pets)

Arkansas ---------- (up to 6 if you are not breeding to sell)
Florida ------------ http://myfwc.com/RULESANDREGS/Rules_Cap ... gories.htm
Indiana ---------Permit required
New Jersey
New York
Massachusetts ---- http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/dfwpets.htm
Michigan
[b]Minnesota
------ http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7094
Nebraska ----------- PERMIT REQUIRED
Oklahoma ----------- LICENSE/yearly fee required
Pennsylvania ------- PERMIT REQUIRED Flying Squirrels are legal in Pa. as long as you obtain one from a game commission licensed
breeder. They are illegal if you get one from the wild or Import one from out of state. The permit you need for a flyer is the receipt that you get from the PGC licensed breeder with all his info on it. I'm the owner of Keystone Exotics http://keystoneexotics.com/default.asp?id=367710
and have been breeding and selling squirrels in Pa. for at least 5 years now. If a person wants a squirrel and lives in Maryland, I cannot sell one because they are totally illegal in Md.
Posted by Mike, Licensed by the Pennsylvania Game Commission as an Exotic Wildlife Dealer and a Wildlife Propagator, on the Flying Squirrel Message Board
South Carolina
Tennessee ------------PERMIT REQUIRED, FLYER MUST BE IMPORTED Walter Cook 615-781-6647
Texas
Washington --------- http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=47066#47066

:silly: B. Illegal States :silly:
(Southern Flyers Illegal to own, (NO EXCEPTION)

Alabama
California
Connecticut
Georgia --------------- http://georgiawildlife.dnr.state.ga.us/ ... &txtPage=2
Louisana
Maine
Maryland
Missouri
New Hampshire
North Carolina
Oregon
Virginia
Last edited by Wanda on Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:38 am, edited 9 times in total.
Wanda
:flyer:
Owned by Shelly, Rose
:smt049 Peanut, Bud & Dinky Always In My Heart :smt049
Parrot, Miniature Donkey & 1 human
And All My Lil Orphans

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:55 am

We have just started the list. Hope more people will post and let us know what states are legal and not. Is SC legal?
Wanda
Owned by Shelly, Rose
And All My Lil Orphans

Furball Genetics
NFSA Member

Postby Furball Genetics » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:06 pm

Does anyone know about the legality/laws of SFS in Colorado? Or who to call there to find out. I may be moving there this fall/winter and want to be prepared.

Thanks,
Jay

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:43 pm

I am not sure about Colorado's legality, but this link should help you figure it out: http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5
Chris
Proud HOF to Nieve
3-24-06
Thank you always Avalon!

Furball Genetics
NFSA Member

Postby Furball Genetics » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:24 pm

Thank you Chris,

I've already read that page. I was hoping someone on this list already knew the answer. I know we have at least one Colorado member here. It's no hurry, I won't be moving any time soon. Just trying to get ahead of things.

Jay

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:27 am

Oh, ok, well if you know their name or find them on the member list, you may want to try emailing them in case they aren't frequent posters.
Chris

Proud HOF to Nieve

3-24-06

Thank you always Avalon!

bugsike
Baby Flyer

Postby bugsike » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:42 pm

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/sregs/
has links to most state regs.
Bugsike, Bear, Fox & Scout
Wildlife, Music, Carpentry, Lutherie
If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

Debra
NFSA Member

Postby Debra » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:36 am

south carolina-
i have heard both legal and illegal. this is the last info i got. but i am afraid if i call the right person they are going to say illegal. :roll:

Originally Posted by Nyte
I spoke to Stephanie Thompson ... Public Information Coordination ....she assured me it was not illegal ... but gave me the number to Priscilla *sp* Wright ... in charge of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries .... who again assured me it was ok .... I can supply the phone numbers if needed

dont wanna fight with Somebody's mother just wanted to assure anyone else here in SC that they aren't breaking the law ... and that they can get help from vets if they need it
Owned by Dinky the flying furball!!

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:03 pm

Unfortunately, we need to make a switch on the list :( I called the other day the NYSDEC to figure out about the legality of a few species and since I had only been told by others and by a different department that flyers were legal in NY, I figured I'd ask about them, too. Turns out that as native wildlife they are not to be kept as pets. If a person is a licensed rehabber or animal exhibitor, there are ways around it, but for the general public, New York is an unfriendly state :(
Chris

Proud HOF to Nieve

3-24-06

Thank you always Avalon!

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:24 pm

I talked a few weeks ago to the Mississippi wildlife management officer in charge of licensing rehabbers. He said all wildlife that is not on the endangered speices list is OK to have as pets, but no more than 2.

He knows I have 5, but he is helping me get registered as a rehabber by listing me under another rehabber's license. He says permission is usually given in any case to keep any number of disabled and unreleasable small wildlife.

He also said nobody is going to bother anyone over well kept indoor flying squirrel pets. And that Wildlife Management in some part of Mississippi is currently netting and euthanizing sfs because they are taking over too much nesting space from some endangered owl :bad-words: What do they think the owls are eating!

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:57 pm

Deb, remember where we live :bad-words: Not one official knows what the other officials are doing. I called the Meridian office last year and was told it was illegal to own one, then I called back a few days later, and was told by the same office, same official, that as long as I did not take it from the wild, and it came from another state, it was legal. I just depends on who you talk to and what kind of a** they want to be at that particular moment.

I'm glad they are fixing it so you can be classified as a rehabber.
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:03 am

gloryaf88 wrote:... It just depends on who you talk to ...

Unfortunately, that seems to be the case in most states. It can vary depending on which agency you talk with in the same state.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:47 pm

krups1110 wrote:If a person is a licensed rehabber or animal exhibitor, there are ways around it, but for the general public, New York is an unfriendly state :(

shhhhhhh.
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:11 pm

***ZOO, FUR-BEARING, & OTHER WILD ANIMALS***

Contact the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets at 518-457-3971 for specific requirements.

In addition, contact the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, Special Licensing Unit, 50 Wolf Rd., Albany, New York, 12233, phone number 518- 402-8985.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:21 pm

Joan wrote:Did you check with these folks?

"A separate permit for native species may be needed from the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission (919) 661-4872, for native species."

In NC, a separate permit for native species would be for Wildlife Rehabilitation to keep an animal that is not releasable. No exceptions.
Wanda
Owned by Shelly, Rose
And All My Lil Orphans

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:19 pm

I've checked and rechecked and I cannot find where it is ILLEGAL to own FLAT TAILED hamsters, who eat strange and different foods, sleep all day and play all night, and love to torture their HOF's :twisted:
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:28 pm

FLAT TAILED hamsters are legal everywhere. :D

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:47 pm

That's great, since I am owned by two of those little furballs :!:

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:59 am

If the various state authorities start getting tough on their regulations, we can just go underground as the National Flat-Tailed Hampster Association :twisted:

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:55 pm

Joan wrote:FLAT TAILED hamsters are legal everywhere. :D

i clearly am owned by a flat tailed hamster then!
- alyssa -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:58 pm

Newer Update lol: Southern Flying Squirrels are native wildlife, but are not protected in NYS. There is no regulation by the NYSDEC, but you have to have a USDA license to possess them within the state.
Chris

Proud HOF to Nieve

3-24-06

Thank you always Avalon!

Patch's Mom
Baby Flyer

Postby Patch's Mom » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:44 pm

Well I have a job offer in Hawaii.....anyone happen to know how hawaii feels about flying squirrels as pets? I know they are really strict with animals coming in....dogs can be quarentined for up to 3 months because they are a rabies free state. So anyways I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about hawaii. If it were legal, what would be the best way to transport him....plane....boat....

Well if Patch can't go I'm not going!! It wouldn't be paradise without little Patch Patchikins!!!

ravenqueen
NFSA Member

Postby ravenqueen » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:08 pm

I don't know if you are still adding to this list, but Colorado is flyer friendly. I had to call about 15 state agents to get a straight answer (exaggeration! ;) ), but basically, I was told as long as it's not on the "no-no" list, it's automatically legal. Basically, the state law says they have to specifically make the animal illegal for it to be so, with the exception of native species, of which the flying squirrel is not. So, although they do not specifically list it on the "ok" list, they don't have it on the "no" list, so by default, it's ok. Did that make sense? :)

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:36 pm

Oh btw to add, In New York CITY, most exotics are illegal including flyers but Long Island is excluded. I believe that although brooklyn and queens are on Long Island they are still illegal.

EDIT: Me and Naya told our Environmental teacher she had a flat tailed gerbil, I was wondering where she got that from...
Owned by
Madamoiselle Artemis Isobella D'Antionette
Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

minianthunter

Postby minianthunter » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:12 pm

in Massachusetts southerns are legal but northerns aren't no permit needed

Airstreamlady
NFSA Member

Postby Airstreamlady » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:05 am

What about Georgia? If a flyer is obtained in another state by a registered breeder and the flyer has a vet check-up, is it legal then?
- Patti -
The Official Poopologist
Squammy to Peaches and Sweet Pea

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:11 pm

in massachusetts southern flyers are NOT legal. i was told misinformation another time as well, but i took shylo to the vet for an emergency (a very well known clinic in boston) and the vet would not treat her because she is illegal in the state.
- alyssa -

mb
Juvie Pup

Re: Flyer Friendly/Unfriendly States

Postby mb » Sat May 03, 2008 11:29 pm

Louisiana is already on the non-friendly list but I just wanted to let everyone know I did call the wildlife and fisheries here in central La.just to see what they would tell me. I was told no, of course. That the only way it was ok is if the cage is outside and open for them to come and go. Oh, and that the fine is $500.
I meant to ask her about flyers raised by breeders, but forgot. I was rushing off the phone before she stared asking questions. I do have a couple of questions though....
If you have a pet that is illegal can you still get vet care?if you find a fs when should it start receiving vet care and what exactly should be done? I know there is a vet here that specializes in exotics but it they knew your pet was illegal I wonder if they would turn you in...I think the vet I'm speaking of is the vet for the zoo here.
Are sugar gliders legal?
Last, I don't really understand why fs are illegal but mice, rats, snakes, parrots, pot- bellied pigs, etc. are not. Except for the fact that they aren't brought out of the wild to be pets but are bought from breeders and at pet shops. But then I wonder why it wouldn't be the same with fs.
Just wondering.........
MB

Chippy
NFSA Member

Postby Chippy » Sun May 04, 2008 12:00 pm

I understand your frustration. I have read many of the posts regarding legal/illegal. A vet in an illegal state can refuse treatment and turn you in. SFS are considered a native species to LA and other states. Therefore, the unfriendly states protect native species from being captured and being held captive. Hence the use of cages that are "open". I believe that is where some folks have the "wild bunch" cages where they can be feed and you can enjoy their company, but yet they can come and go on their own free will. I have read posts where HOFs have traveled to friendly states to seek medical care. Thankfully the message board here has an Emergency and Non-Emergency Forum that enables us to seek help and advise on each of our individual situations. We have some great rehabbers and vets that help with the Emergency Form. If you need to use it the members will be notified and you will get help from ones who are readily available and everyone will help you through until and after your crisis is over. I hope this helps you and I am sure there are other HOFs who can give you more details and maybe better information. I think you can search for posts with "Flat tailed hamsters" and you will understand where the term came from. Don't dispair. Keep being a great HOF! :)
Martie.....
Proud HOF of Chipper & Cali!

Zoe, I will listen in heaven for your hoof beat.
Gizmo, may you keep God's feet warm.

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Mon May 12, 2008 11:29 pm

When I first got Scoot and was looking for a vet that would treat a flyer, there was one in Metarie that said he would treat one and would not say anything if I brought him over there. I do not remember his name though. It seems strange that we have four unfriendly states all right here together, LA, MS, AL, and GA.

immatater
Flying Furball

Postby immatater » Tue May 13, 2008 7:24 am

I think y'all should all just pack up and move to Texas ;)

Coretayknee

Postby Coretayknee » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:21 pm

it is 100% LEGAL to own a flying squirrel as a pet in the state of Virginia as long as you don't go out in your backyard and snatch one up!

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:48 pm

All of this discussion about 'legal/not legal', 'I heard/I know' is all well and good. But when it's time to make the decision of whether or not to get a flyer, DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH! Spend a day or two calling and/or emailing various departments and officials. Check with several departments to make sure they all say the same thing - don't take the chance of some clerk making a mistake that could affect the very life of your pet. If at all possible, get it in writing if they say it's OK. Send them a letter saying "According to our conversation of 0/0/00 (insert date) I understand that it is legal to own a southern flying squirrel in (insert state). Am I correct in this understanding?" Send a SASE for them to reply. Also keep a record of who you talk to, the date and the time.

This may seem like 'overkill' to some of you, but, if for any reason you ever need it, you will be glad you went to the trouble. After all, this is a pet that will be with you for possibly 15 years or more - a day or two researching the legality is just a drop in the bucket!

Judy C.

MiriamS
NFSA Member

Postby MiriamS » Fri May 08, 2009 2:05 am

Regarding the previous posting about Virginia, I've been doing a lot of research and I'm pretty sure it is NOT legal to own a flyer in VA, as it is also illegal in DC and MD. Interestingly, there are no rehab regulations in DC so I was told by an official to say that I was doing an extended rehab.

It is legal, however, for humans to be owned by flat-tailed hamsters.

I'd be very interested in learning of HOFs in the VA area, as I'm kinda lonely out here. Thank goodness for my new buddies in Texas and Florida.
-Miriam

Thoroughly whipped by Cocoa and Chip
Follow their adventures at:
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/show ... hp?t=18153

CzNik2
Juvie Pup

Postby CzNik2 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:59 am

Indiana ---------Permit required

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:07 am

It makes me so mad :bad-words: that there are actually states that don't allow flyers, It's so much garbage,NO ONE I mean NO ONE should be able to tell you that you can't own a flyer I could go on and on about the injustices of this STUPID rule. It's pointless to make a rule about making someone give up their flyer if their found with one in a non flyer friendly state. The flying squirrel is not an endangered animal and is not being endangered by the general populous,they don't have the right to tell us that we can't own one. I live in a flyer friendly state so I haven't had any trouble but I just hope I never have to move to state where they don't allow flyers. I'm done but I just want to say that It's a joke, I understand having to have a permit maybe but this Isn't right.
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

Motorola

Postby Motorola » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:40 pm

MiriamS
Washington DC/Silver Spring here.
I been doing research on them for months, was so ready to share that Love, Affection, Care and Attitude they have with you guys and ladys that goes both ways. Then I find this and now find out I can never have that, truly hurts.
I live a life of a lot free time, I work from home mostly at night when they like to come out and play and was just so ready to have that companionship I really need in my life.
My gut hurts I think I need go lay down this is just wrong.

Maryland Law -> :smt075 <- Me

I wouldn't dare try to get one form a unknown or trusted breeder, I guess it's best I found out before I started buying more toys and food items for him or her to enjoy. :puppydogeyes:
My heart is broken, sad my first post here is this.

Thank you for the information.

Any ideas how I could fight such a law?
Greg M. - To share your life with such a loving Flying Squirrel should not be unlawful.

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:37 pm

I'm very sorry to hear about that :puppydogeyes: That was something that worried me too. You could own one I f no one knew but you would hve to live with the risk of loosing It. I don't know but maybe the suger glider is alowed in your state they are very much the same :D
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

Motorola

Postby Motorola » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:44 pm

flyer_1 wrote:I'm very sorry to hear about that :puppydogeyes: That was something that worried me too. You could own one I f no one knew but you would hve to live with the risk of loosing It. I don't know but maybe the suger glider is alowed in your state they are very much the same :D

More less it's not a big deal where I live as it's a private home with low flow of people just me and my roommate but I still wouldn't want to risk it. My heart would be to broken in to much pain mostly I wouldn't want him or her taken away form me because I should have the best interest for him or her. Trying to keep my hopes up but it's looking slim, I just don't get it.

About that Suger Gliders:
I think they are but it's not where my heart lies, they are very close but in the end It wouldn't be a FS. :fly:

Maybe I can look into the rescue of one but it's looking like I should start making plans to move in a few years over trying to fight such a stupid law. I don't know what I'm going to do this is depressing.

EDIT: Now applying for a Game Husbandry Permit/License in Maryland. I never would have think to look there, I use to help a group that saved small birds that would fall out the roofs of the tile work on homes in Arizona and we had something like this. I would never think it covered small mammals.
Azrail you have saved me, with the right paper work and a small fee the local Department of Resources I too can be owned.
Also for Maryland people: http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/gamehus.asp hope it's ok to post that link here.
"Any person who desires to raise, breed, protect, or sell game birds in Maryland is required to have a Game Husbandry License/Permit."
Checked the law, made sure to check this out it covers small mammals.

Keeping my fingers cross everything passes and I get it, story with a happy ending would be nice.
Greg M. - To share your life with such a loving Flying Squirrel should not be unlawful.

pnerissa
NFSA Member

Postby pnerissa » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:18 am

I believe that Florida may have become more lax since the original posting back in 2005.

This link to the Florida Fish and Wildlife has squirrels and chipmunks in the list of animals not requiring a permit. http://myfwc.com/RULESANDREGS/Rules_CaptiveCategories.htm I'd still encourage anyone not certain to give the FWC a call if they're not sure.

Bev

Return to “Legalities of Owning a FS”