Flyer Friendly/Unfriendly States

Laws differ by state. Stay in the know.
Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Flyer Friendly/Unfriendly States

Postby Joan » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:42 am

No permit needed in Florida for any squirrel.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

pappy1264
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby pappy1264 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:50 am

in massachusetts southern flyers are NOT legal. i was told misinformation another time as well, but i took shylo to the vet for an emergency (a very well known clinic in boston) and the vet would not treat her because she is illegal in the state.

I don't know where you took your flyer, but flyers are, indeed, legal in MA, NO PERMIT REQUIRED. They are listed on the exempt list, which are animals you CAN have in MA. I also have a friend who is a licensed rehabber triple check this for me....they ARE legal to be kept in Ma. I wonder if by chance, this person you saw was confusing them with sugar gliders, which are NOT legal to be kept as pets in MA.
Mary

wideeyebushytail

Postby wideeyebushytail » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:36 am

pnerissa wrote:I believe that Florida may have become more lax since the original posting back in 2005.

This link to the Florida Fish and Wildlife has squirrels and chipmunks in the list of animals not requiring a permit. http://myfwc.com/RULESANDREGS/Rules_CaptiveCategories.htm I'd still encourage anyone not certain to give the FWC a call if they're not sure.

Bev

Hey Bev,
Did you call about it? I'm curious since we are neighbors. :silly:

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:55 pm

You know I just want to say again how tired I am of state's deciding that we can't have a non endangered pet #-o I mean if I wanted a Sumatran orangutan that would be something completely different :o but a southern flying squirrel that's nut's excuse the pun. So again I'm just venting I need to do this every so often, thanks for reading 8-[
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

pnerissa
NFSA Member

Postby pnerissa » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:07 pm

wideeyebushytail wrote:
pnerissa wrote:I believe that Florida may have become more lax since the original posting back in 2005.

This link to the Florida Fish and Wildlife has squirrels and chipmunks in the list of animals not requiring a permit. http://myfwc.com/RULESANDREGS/Rules_CaptiveCategories.htm I'd still encourage anyone not certain to give the FWC a call if they're not sure.

Bev

Hey Bev,
Did you call about it? I'm curious since we are neighbors. :silly:

Sorry, just noticed your post. No I haven't called, but I have very thoroughly read through their website and you do NOT need a permit to keep them in Florida. If you intend to breed and sell them however, you will need to get a special permit for that. I don't have any plans to breed them even though my friends are enamored beyond belief with them and want one, however they all own cats.

SciurusLover

Postby SciurusLover » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:24 am

I know they're not completely illegal in Ohio, but does anyone know if they require a permit?

pappy1264
Flying Furball

Postby pappy1264 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:47 pm

Although I am not from that state, I am pretty sure a permit is, indeed, required to have flyers there.
Mary

cappy
NFSA Member

Postby cappy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:56 pm

all states are legal if you just don't let certain boneheads know about the little babies. i came from louisiana with 7 of the furbutts and i believe they are not allowed there. not sure about here..arkansas...but could care less. i fly with 3 of my babies while 2 stay home with the wife. never was asked if i was allowed to have them or not. like i said , i could care less ...they own me.LOL matt in the ozark mountainns
i will miss you compass....you were a tough boat girl..enjoy the rainbow bridge.
matt&charlotte-owned by:rocky,cappy,
mermaid&lorelie

pappy1264
Flying Furball

Postby pappy1264 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:02 pm

Although I agree it is insane to have them legal in some places, but not others, please be very careful. Some places are more strict then others and it is scary to think what could happen if the wrong people do find out. (I have flyers and they are legal here, but also have gliders, which are not. It is a fear I live with every day. I never want any harm to come to my babies.) JMHO.
Mary

pnerissa
NFSA Member

Postby pnerissa » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:58 pm

I have excellent news! I received this email today from Rick Hamrick with the Mississippi Department of Wildlife. He also sent me an attachment that has the full wording of the Notice of Rule Adoption/Final Rule and it is indeed legal to own a flyer in MS as long as you also hold a valid resident small game hunting and fishing license.

I have the attachment also if anyone needs it emailed to them. :multi:

Beverly,
The reference on this as far as a regulation is Public Notice M4-3201 (attached).

Accoring to PN 3201, it is legal to own a flying squirrel in MS (may possess up to 20 nongame reptiles, 20 nongame amphibians, 10 nongame mammals, and 4 nongame fish except as otherwise provided by this or other regulation). Of nongame mammals, no more than 2 can be of the same species. Any resident that takes or possesses nongame wildlife must have a resident small game hunting license. See full regulation for details on conditions for sale, etc.

Rick Hamrick
Small Game Biologist
Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks
910 Barnett Drive
Starkville, MS 39759
Home Office: 662-320-9375
Mobile: 662-617-1445
Email: rickh@mdwfp.state.ms.us

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:49 am

pnerissa wrote:it is indeed legal to own a flyer in MS as long as you also hold a valid resident small game hunting and fishing license.

Only in the South. LOL :D
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Jerica
Flying Furball

Postby Jerica » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:11 pm

I just found out the town I just moved to about 3 weeks ago is like the only town in Nebraska that doesnt allow any exotics! How unfair is that? I doubt my landlord would allow a flyer anyway, but I moved here for a job and now that I could afford a flyer I happend to move to a place not allowing any exotics (which I assume flyers are listed as since you have to have a permit to own them in nebraska). They dont allow people to even own snakes in this town! Anyway, David City, Nebraska it apparently is illegal to own them, lets just say that I dont plan on staying in this town forever anyway. I do work at the vet clinic here as their new vet assistant, but they dont really know much about exotic animals since they're illegal so if my flyer ever needed care they may not be able to do much for him/her I'd just have more resources for helping a sick little one. But I thought I'd bring that up.

jennymar
Baby Flyer

Arizona?

Postby jennymar » Thu May 31, 2012 1:07 pm

I am getting mixed info here. I did make a call to the Dept. of fish & game and they acted like they didn't even know what a southern flying squirrel is! LOL I was given another number to call and I keep getting the run around. Seems like even if this is not a legal state, no one seems to care! :letitallout:

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu May 31, 2012 11:53 pm

That is often the case.

Binsky734

Postby Binsky734 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:11 am

It should be noted that in Texas, it is very illegal to capture a wild squirrel for a pet.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:46 am

WOW David, that's news since Texas is one of the biggest sellers of flyers. Do you have a site with this information?

yubman
Flying Furball

Postby yubman » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:42 pm

Updated list of legal "wildlife" as pets link for Mass:

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/df ... stofexempt

Scroll down to the Mammals section for Flying Squirrels (southern only).

Mammals
It is legal to possess

Only the following 11 mammals (or groups) may be kept as pets:
•Sugar Glider
•Four-toed (African Pygmy) Hedgehog
•Chinchilla, derived from captive stock
•Deer Mouse and White-footed Mouse
•Degu
•Egyptian Spiny Mouse
•House Mouse
•Jerboas
•Norway Rat
•Paca
•Southern Flying Squirrel
•Hamster

It is NOT legal to possess
All other mammals not listed as legal or domestic.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:46 pm

Remember to check local and city ordinance too.

Return to “Legalities of Owning a FS”