NFS and SFS illegal in Illinois

Laws differ by state. Stay in the know.
CritterHill
Baby Flyer
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

NFS and SFS illegal in Illinois

Postby CritterHill » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:19 am

Hubby just spent a long time on the phone talking to the Illinois Ag Department, Natural Resources, Division of Wildlife and Division of Law Enforcement.....we were getting passed around. A number of years ago we were told with a permit we could have squirrels, but either they were wrong or the law changed. Apparently now you can't have either SFS or NFS. They are a Protected Species and they said even with a wild game permit we can't have them.

I think about the only place that can have them is zoos.

:(

If anyone else in the future wants to call to confirm this the no. we started with was 217-782-6384 Department of Natural Resources. I think it was the Law Department that gave the final NO!

Azrail
Juvie Pup
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: NFS and SFS illegal in Illinois

Postby Azrail » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:15 pm

I heard they where legal with a permit. The USDA has a nifty tool to let you file on-line.
Here is my question... Do you have to have a permit to pick up an animal in an IL. airport?

Azrail
Juvie Pup

Postby Azrail » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:36 pm

Ok I did some further digging. It appears you are right. Not legal what so ever. Even with a permit. But that's second hand news as well. (Though I seem to trust it more than the USDA vets that deal with the exotics in the state). Kari (Who I was forwarded to after talking to some one at the IL State USDA office)
Said that a flying squirrel is ok with a permit. I mentioned I heard elsewhere that it was not ok what so ever. (Unless you rehab and cannot re-release and use for educational purposes ect.) Kari then told me to call the Natural Resources dept. Of course she googled to see flying squirrel range. She read it to me... Of course I already know the range but decided for now that I would just leave it at that. Call has been documented :cool:

IL State USDA office #(217)-782-2172

Suppose I should call the DNR and get the "NO"... but I mean hey I spoke with someone in the office and I got an ok. I also could have sworn that when reading the actual law that they only mentioned the scientific name for a southern flyer and left out the northerns. I really need to re-read that law. I'm having a tough time finding it.

As far as IL goes (even though 2 state offices said "yea it's ok just bring them to our vet" and the vet said "Yes that's ok as long as you bring them to me". I'm still going to have to agree. Ultimately they aren't legal here since apparently we have some around here. Somewhere. I've lived here for 27 years. I've never seen one in the state but that doesn't mean anything. We're all pretty aware of the ranges for both species and IL is in SFS range. In this state that means even a permit won't won't do you any good.

I have a sudden urge to work for a state department. #-o

Azrail
Juvie Pup

Postby Azrail » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:39 am

Ok well the DNR called me back yesterday and gave me the final word.
It's is legal to own a flying squirrel in the state of Illinois IF:

You obtain the animal legally from a licensed breeder.
The animal has no visual signs of disease.
Has a health certificate.
You obtain a "Game breeders permit" (Class A or B)

You may get a conservation officer check once in while just to make sure you have your permit. Just make sure you have all your paperwork in order.
The southern flying squirrel isn't so much protected as a game animal it simply has no open season to hunt it here.

Obtaining the permit is easy. You can get it over the counter where you would buy a hunting or fishing license. The fee is $10.00
Just in case the DNR and Fish and gave me incorrect information you can check the law located here:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/il ... dlife+Code.

You can do some more research on the "Game breeders permit" here:

http://spinotew1.commerce.state.il.us/d ... enDocument

This particular permit is offered by many states so hopefully other members in other parts of the country find this little tid bit of info helpful.
If your state USDA office said "No"... Try looking up the permit in your state and call your DNR for more info.

Return to “Legalities of Owning a FS”