How To Check if a Flyer Is Legal Where You Live

Laws differ by state. Stay in the know.
Ann

How To Check if a Flyer Is Legal Where You Live

Postby Ann » Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:23 pm

How To Check if a Flyer Is Legal Where You Live :idea:

The first step when selecting a flyer is to determine if it is legal where you live. This can be complicated as there are a variety of levels of government involved in animal regulation. Do not rely what you hear from others, including on the Internet.

Here's How:
1. Call the appropriate government agencies in person. Using the Internet for research is a good place to start, but for current and complete information on the status of your chosen species, check with the proper agencies.
2. Start with your local government -- call city hall or your town or county office, and ask if there are any relevant laws against your pet.
3. Your local officials may be able to tell you the status of your pet locally as well as state, province, or country wide status.
4. If there are no local laws, and local officials are not sure about the status on a wider scale, they may be able to direct you to the appropriate agency to check with.
5. Before going to the state/province/country, check with your local health department, as sometimes regulations fall under their jurisdiction.
6. Check with state/provincial agencies. Hopefully the local officials could tell you which agency has jurisdiction, but it may fall under agriculture, fish and game, natural resources, wildlife, health, etc.
7. If you are in the US, check with the US Department of Agriculture, as many exotic species require USDA permits for possession and/or breeding.
8. Keep calling until you find the right agency/person who can give you a definitive answer. Sometimes permits are required for legal species, so make sure you find out if there are any special permits or licenses required.

Tips:

1. Exactly who to call varies from area to area, so you'll need to break out the phone book and start calling. By starting locally, you can often find out who you need to call from higher levels of government.
2. Your local humane society or other pet related organization, or a veterinarian's office, may be able to help you find out about current laws.
3. Don't assume that if you see a pet locally, it is legal (even if they are being sold in pet stores).
4. Ignorance of the law is not a good defense, and if you acquire an illegal pet you may face confiscation of your pet down the road, and possibly even euthanasia of your pet.

http://www.offthewallemporium.com/primates/lawswlex.pdf

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/sregs

Valerie
Baby Flyer
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Florida Law

Postby Valerie » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:35 pm

I know that in Florida, to be perfectly legal, you have to go through the Florida Fresh Water Game and Fish Commission. I had to get a permit from them to own a raccoon. Their requirements were not very strict and they sent me information on the size of cage, etc. A person came out to investigate and since everything was in-line, I was able to get a permit. Presently, you are required to apply for a permit every year. I was grandfathered into this new law so I don't have to thank goodness. :)

Valerie :)

(Mom of Chip & Dale)

Leah
Flying Furball

Postby Leah » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:07 pm

Valerie, you definitely have to go through Fish&Game to have a raccoon, but not to have a flying squirrel. Flying squirrels are one of the animals you can have without a permit here in Florida.

Just didn't want anyone to get the wrong impression!

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:26 pm

Leah wrote:Just didn't want anyone to get the wrong impression!

Like I was going to rush and turn myself in. :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Leah
Flying Furball

Postby Leah » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:31 pm

"Flying squirrel? No, I don't have a flying squirrel, Mr. Freshwater-Fish-and-Game Officer. Pay no attention to that lump moving around inside my shirt...I have a condition...I...I...I'm seeing a doctor. Yeah, that's it, I'm being treated for a verrrrrry contagious illness - cough, cough - can I offer you a scone? No? You have to be leaving? So soon?"

Beverly
NFSA Member

Postby Beverly » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:18 am

:twisted: LSH,IBITF! (laughing so hard, i'm blue in the face!) Leah, I'm with you. "Flying squirrel!!!???!!! What's a flying squirrel? Oh - you mean my long tailed hamster??? Geeze, it's just a hamster!"

It's sad, but true, that there are laws that make no sense, at all. Flying squirrels are not game, and thus no license should be needed. Flying squirrels are not endangered in any way, and are not dangerous in any way. Buracrats just need to justify their own existance, and thus create these stupid laws. Have to admit, while I don't think I'd like Texas for its climate & topography, I do like their liberal attitude, toward companion animals. Florida, too.
{D {D {D Lots of Acorns to you, from
Beverly and the Denizens of
The Den Drey at Phantom Farm
What the world needs now are MORE SQUIRRELS! Then there would not be so many NUTS running around loose!

Leah
Flying Furball

Postby Leah » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:46 am

It is sad, indeed. Like California considering wide-spread poisoning of ground squirrels to control their numbers, but if you were found providing one with a loving and safe home, they'd find a special place for you under the jail.

I understand the need for laws and that they are really meant to protect the animals, I just wish lawmakers could "see the forest" in situations like these. I am very grateful that Florida allows me to have these sweet little creatures, but even that freedom presents its own issues - the "breeders" (and let's call them what they really are - the "trappers") who kidnap babies from perfectly good mothers so they can sell them for a profit....well, I'd like to line those folks up right alongside some of the silly bureacrats and have a little "open season" myself!

katiedid
NFSA Member

Postby katiedid » Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:13 am

Beverly wrote:Have to admit, while I don't think I'd like Texas for its climate & topography, I do like their liberal attitude, toward companion animals. Florida, too.

It is nice that we can own pretty much whatever kind of animal we want here in Texas (including lions and tiger and bears...OH MY! :lol:), but Texas has so many HORRIBLE "breeders" of all types of animals. I know of several "sugar glider mills" in Texas that do horrible things to their gliders. Just makes me sick thinking about it. There's also large scale breeders who breed 50 different types of animals (or more)...how on Earth can you possilby care for that many animals?!?! Grrr...sorry for ranting, it just really upsets me.

I LOVE Texas, but...they can be a little too liberal when it comes to animal issues.
~Katie~
Kya :queen:, TC :smt050, Van :smt049 & Squirrelly :wings: ~ Southern Flyers
Aesop :jester:, Ambraesia, Pepper & Abby :smt057 ~ Sugar Gliders
In loving memory of my little King boy :king: and Sweet Valor

meganmm

Postby meganmm » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:18 am

is anyone here from Illinois? i was just wondering if anyone knew about the legalities of Illinois before i did all of my calling. :)

meganmm

Postby meganmm » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:10 pm

meganmm wrote:is anyone here from Illinois? i was just wondering if anyone knew about the legalities of Illinois before i did all of my calling. :)

nevermind, i just found out that you just have to have paperwork proving it was purchased from a licensed breeder. so, in case anyone else in illinois was wondering...there you go!

katiedid
NFSA Member

Postby katiedid » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:04 am

Thanks for the information meganmm. Having paperwork from a USDA licensed breeder is a pretty common requirement for any "exotic" animal.
~Katie~
Kya :queen:, TC :smt050, Van :smt049 & Squirrelly :wings: ~ Southern Flyers
Aesop :jester:, Ambraesia, Pepper & Abby :smt057 ~ Sugar Gliders
In loving memory of my little King boy :king: and Sweet Valor

jameysilva2

Georgia???

Postby jameysilva2 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:37 am

Does anyone know if flying squirrels are illegal to own in Georgia??? Thank you.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Georgia???

Postby Joan » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:40 am

[quote="jameysilva2"]Does anyone know if flying squirrels are illegal to own in Georgia??? Thank you.

Check out the websites listed above.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Eric
NFSA Member

Postby Eric » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:23 am

Just wanted to post to reinforce the point made in the first post about checking locally - in addition to the state level.

Flyers are legal in New York - but imagine my surprise and concern when I discovered that they are prohibited in my city. Check your local laws. Below is what I found for the city of Rochester, NY.

Needless to say, I was relieved when I moved to a neighboring town whose code did not contain such restrictions (I'll be honest - there are many suburbs of Rochester to choose from and when we were looking to buy a house, I was checking the codes of all of the towns we were looking in. I had to make sure we moved to a flyer-friendly town. It definitely influenced our decision!)

Check your local code. It may be available online - but if not, it is certainly available at the local government offices. Check for any section related to animals. Many cities/towns will have ordinances related to dogs and cats and regulations as to numbers, leashes, etc. Hopefully that is all you will find. But check anyway - in case you find something like this:

§ 30-25. Definitions.

When used in this chapter, the following words shall have the following definitions:

WILD ANIMAL -- All types of the following animals

All venomous animals, except fish, including rear-fang snakes

Antelope, bighorn sheep, gazelles, impalas, gnus, bison, buffalo, African buffalo, mountain goats, tapirs, topis, waterbucks, warthogs, wildebeests, zebra

Bats

Bears (ursidae)

Camelidae, i.e., camels, llamas, alpacas, vicunas, guanacos

Canids (other than domestic dogs, canis lupus familiaris), i.e., wolves, foxes, coyotes, jackals, dingos, raccoon dogs, or any mix of these animals

Cervidae, i.e., deer, moose, elk, caribou, reindeer

Crocadilians, i.e., alligators, crocodiles, caimans, gavials

Elephants (elephantidae)

Falconiformes, i.e., eagles, hawks, owls, ospreys, vultures, griffons

Felids (other than domestic cats, felis catus), i.e., lions, tigers, bobcats, leopards, cheetahs, jaguars, pumas, lynx, ocelots, or any mix of these animals

Giraffidae, i.e., giraffes, okapis

Herpestidae, i.e., mongooses, meerkats, suricats, fossas

Hippopotamus (hippopotamidae)

Hyaenidae, i.e., hyenas, aardwolf

Komodo dragons (varanus komodoensis)

Marsupials, i.e., opossums, kangaroos, wallabies, koalas, wombats

Ostriches, emus, rheas

Primates (nonhuman), i.e., apes, monkeys, baboons, chimpanzees, gibbons, gorillas, lemurs, orangutans, siamangs, marmosets, tamarins, mandrills, macaques

Procyonids, i.e., raccoons, coatis, kinkajous, olingos, ring-tailed cats

Rhinoceros (rhinocerotidae)

Sciuridae, i.e., squirrels, groundhogs, marmots, prairie dogs, woodchucks

Viverridae, i.e., civets, linsangs, genets, palm civets, toddy cats, binturongs, fossas

Weasels, stoats, zorillas, martens, fishers, skunks, tayras, wolverines, grisons, badgers, ratels, otters, muskrats, beavers, gophers, porcupines

Xenarthrans, i.e., anteaters, tamanduas, sloths, armadillos

§ 30-26. Wild animals prohibited.

No person shall own, bring into, possess, harbor or keep any wild animal in the City nor allow or permit any wild animal to run at large upon any street or public place.

Return to “Legalities of Owning a FS”