Other Countries?

Laws differ by state. Stay in the know.
TalaWolf
Juvie Pup
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Other Countries?

Postby TalaWolf » Mon May 21, 2007 2:20 pm

Anyone know what the laws are regarding SFS's in foreign countries, specifically France? I have a friend whose mother has fallen in love with Mica after seeing videos and pictures and hearing stories. I don't know what the laws are regarding it though, and my french is no where near good enough to call someone to find out. My friend could call, of course, I was just curious if anyone was familiar with the laws regarding them there, and also, how that would work with customs if you tried to bring one with you when you went there to visit.
Christina

*~HOF to my precious Mica~*
Mom to my Australian Kelpie dog, Juno

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Mon May 21, 2007 7:11 pm

I don't know about France. She'd have to check there, but we did have a HOF in England. Of course, the French might be more inclined to cook a flyer in some white wine. :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Mon May 21, 2007 9:27 pm

Joan wrote:I don't know about France. She'd have to check there, but we did have a HOF in England. Of course, the French might be more inclined to cook a flyer in some white wine. :twisted:

oui oui! and mebbe some of those delightful truffles...

Anyways...Is there even a flyer native to France? I mean if she gets one the narest pace they could get one imported in is Russia...and those are HUGEMONGOUS! <=== I hope I made my point! Or they can have one of ours imported in. But wouldn't there be a rule in France that would 'frown' upon them being brought in?

http://www.flyingsquirrels.com/World/world.html

^^ this site lists all of the known flyer species and the closest to a southern in color like ours might be a japanese arrow tail. But then again I can't vouch for tempermant and cuteness of them all. althought the chinese red and white do look cute in pictures...We must esablish overseas connections.

Then again....way back in 1700's when settlers first arrived in the new world they had domesticated flyers like in the picture of G. volans by John Singleton Copeley...

http://declarationsandexclusions.typepa ... uirrel.jpg
Owned by
Madamoiselle Artemis Isobella D'Antionette
Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Tue May 22, 2007 12:24 am

Naw! Not white wine! My redneck neighbors assure me that flying squirrel must be simmered in beer :twisted: The truffles do sound good though :wink:
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

seijitsu

legal in Japan, but how to import?? (Re: Other Countries?)

Postby seijitsu » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:17 pm

Question:
Has anyone tried to and/or successfully imported a flying squirrel from another country?

Japan Overview:
Northern and southern flying squirrels are legal to own as pets in Japan and can be obtained within Japan. Japanese flying squirrels are NOT allowed to own as pets inside of Japan. The dwarf Russian (European) flying squirrel is completely illegal to even exist in Japan and will be immediately exterminated if found, so do NOT try to import!

Japan Details:
Japan has 3 native types of flying squirrels: the Japanese dwarf flying squirrel (the "nihon momonga" is native to Honshu, the main island of Japan: Pteromys momonga; the "ezo momonga" is native to the northern island of Japan: Pteromys volans orii). The third type is the Japanese giant flying squirrel, the "musasabi" (Petaurista leucogenys). None of these are legal to own as pets inside of Japan, and, as such, it is virtually impossible to be able to have one exported from Japan. If you want to own one outside of Japan, you would need to find a breeder outside of Japan (such as in the UK) who already has them.

WARNING: The dwarf Russian (European) flying squirrel, called "tairiku momonga," (Pteromys volans) is basically identical to the nihon momonga and the ezo momonga, BUT IT IS ILLEGAL FOR THEM TO EVEN BE ALIVE in Japan. If they are discovered anywhere, they will be immediately exterminated, so DO NOT attempt to import one to Japan!
They are classified as an "Invasive Alien Species" according to the "Invasive Alien Species Act" of 2004, Law No. 78.
The reason for this is that Japan is "racist": they know that this kind of flying squirrel is able to breed with the Japanese dwarf, and they do not want the Japanese ones to possibly cross-breed and "water down" their race. The reason American flying squirrels are allowed as pets in Japan is that Japan does not consider them able to mate with Japanese fliers.
There has never been a single case of a pet Russian escaping captivity into the wild in Japan, nor has there ever been a reported case of a Russian mating with a Japanese in the wild. But Japan is just that strongly opinionated that it must never happen that this law came into effect in 2004.
There is one exception to the law about owning a Russian as a pet: pet owners in Japan who owned a Russian prior to the law coming into effect are allowed to continue to keep their current Russians, so 9 years later, there are some Russian pets still alive. Once the current generation dies out, there will be no more Russians as pets (unless one of the current pet owners breeds their squirrels, but I do not know if that is legal for them to do or not).
(If you somehow found a Russian inside of Japan, and you inform a vet, wildlife authorities, or try to get it out of the country, it will be in danger of getting promptly killed. On the other hand, know that if you disobey the law, you may be punishable by up to 3 years in prison or a fine up to 3 million yen. Japanese law is very strict. Japan has a conviction rate of 99% for prosecutions.)

The northern and southern flying squirrel are legal to own as pets in Japan. The Japanese call the southern "amerika momonga" (Glaucomys volans) and the northern "oo amerika momonga" (Glaucomys sabrinus). They can be obtained from private owners who decide to give breeding a try or from pet shops. I have not come across a reputable breeder who breeds them regularly. There is a "Momonga Doumei" alliance of flying squirrel pet owners in Japan, but membership is closed if you do not currently own a flier and, even if you do own one, their website does not provide any contact info in order to email the leader to ask to join (I imagine that you would need to meet one of the current members via their member directory, and personally inquire about joining the group).
Beware of some pet shops, as they engage in animal cruelty, which is prevalent throughout the country (animal cruelty laws exist but are not enforced).

I have a Japanese book on flying squirrel care, which seems to indicate that one can import an American flying squirrel from abroad into to Japan (such as from the US, Australia, UK). I strongly want to do this, I and do not mind flying back to the States to receive mine directly from a breeder and bring the baby on the plane with me (especially if I could get it classified as a comfort(therapy) animal and keep it with me in the cabin. I do not want to buy a flier from a Japanese pet shop if I can avoid it by getting one lovingly raised by a breeder.
However, I don't know how to import the squirrel so that it can pass through customs without any danger of snags. I don't know if ordering from a breeder who ships the squirrel to Japan, or me bringing the squirrel myself is less risky. I just don't want any risk that we get separated or it doesn't make it to me.
Your resident informant on Japanese flying squirrels

Joan
Site Admin

Re: legal in Japan, but how to import?? (Re: Other Countrie

Postby Joan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:18 pm

seijitsu wrote: ... Northern and southern flying squirrels are legal to own as pets in Japan and can be obtained within Japan. Japanese flying squirrels are NOT allowed to own as pets inside of Japan. The dwarf Russian (European) flying squirrel is completely illegal to even exist in Japan and will be immediately exterminated if found, so do NOT try to import!

It seems strange that you can import Northern & Southerns, but not the European.

seijitsu wrote: ...WARNING: The dwarf Russian (European) flying squirrel, called "tairiku momonga," (Pteromys volans) is basically identical to the nihon momonga and the ezo momonga, BUT IT IS ILLEGAL FOR THEM TO EVEN BE ALIVE in Japan. If they are discovered anywhere, they will be immediately exterminated ... They are classified as an "Invasive Alien Species" according to the "Invasive Alien Species Act" of 2004, Law No. 78.

Living in Florida, I fully understand the reason for keeping out "Invasive Species" as they can squeeze out native species and take over. That's why I don't understand why our Southerns & Northerns are allowed ... maybe they couldn't survive in the wild in Japan if they escaped.

seijitsu wrote: ...The reason for this is that Japan is "racist": they know that this kind of flying squirrel is able to breed with the Japanese dwarf, and they do not want the Japanese ones to possibly cross-breed and "water down" their race. The reason American flying squirrels are allowed as pets in Japan is that Japan does not consider them able to mate with Japanese fliers..

OK, that answers my question. I don't blame the Japanese one bit and don't think it's racist, but an attempt to keep this species from becoming instinct from cross breeding.

seijitsu wrote: ...There has never been a single case of a pet Russian escaping captivity into the wild in Japan, nor has there ever been a reported case of a Russian mating with a Japanese in the wild. But Japan is just that strongly opinionated that it must never happen that this law came into effect in 2004.

There never was a case (DNA proved) of the Northern & Southern cross breeding until recently. Japan is wise to not take the risk.

seijitsu wrote: ...There is a "Momonga Doumei" alliance of flying squirrel pet owners in Japan, but membership is closed if you do not currently own a flier and, even if you do own one, their website does not provide any contact info in order to email the leader to ask to join.

Can you provide a link to this website?

seijitsu wrote: ...I have a Japanese book on flying squirrel care, which seems to indicate that one can import an American flying squirrel from abroad into to Japan (such as from the US, Australia, UK). I strongly want to do this, I and do not mind flying back to the States to receive mine directly from a breeder and bring the baby on the plane with me (especially if I could get it classified as a comfort(therapy) animal and keep it with me in the cabin. I do not want to buy a flier from a Japanese pet shop if I can avoid it by getting one lovingly raised by a breeder.

I do know there is a breeder/poacher? in Florida who exports overseas. I don't know if he sends to Japan, but if money is involved, I'm sure he will.

seijitsu wrote: ...However, I don't know how to import the squirrel so that it can pass through customs without any danger of snags.

Some airlines allow pets in cages on board with owner ... usually one per flight, but I would imagine that International flights are very complicated at both ends.

seijitsu wrote: ...I don't know if ordering from a breeder who ships the squirrel to Japan, or me bringing the squirrel myself is less risky. I just don't want any risk that we get separated or it doesn't make it to me.

I would imagine that having it shipped by someone who does this often is the way to go. It woud be too complicated for a hobby breeder to take on.

Stephanie, thanks so much for your posts from Japan. It's wonderful to have someone on board who has knowledge of those cute little Japanese dwarfs! :D
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Legalities of Owning a FS”