Legality in PA

Laws differ by state. Stay in the know.
Amorice
Juvie Pup

Legality in PA

Postby Amorice » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:21 pm

I found this on PA's Dept. of Agriculture Website, in a .pdf for Importation of Domestic Animals Rules & Regs, dated 10/2008:

Wild Animals
Under new law, all animals held in captivity are domestic. Therefore, they require a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (except poultry and reptiles) for importation. Certain wild animals may require a permit from the PA Game Commission. We recommend that anyone importing a wild animal also contact the Game Commission at 717-783-8164.

***NOTE: in general, every domestic animal coming into our state is required to have a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (except poultry and reptiles). An important part of this requirement is proper identification of each animal (when individual ID is required).

I haven't contacted the Game Commission yet to see if SFSs are among the "certain wild animals", but I will post updates when I get them.

Since the law used to be that they needed to be bred by a PGC licensed breeder, this is a step up!

Fizzle1985
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Legality in PA

Postby Fizzle1985 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:21 pm

SFS are legal in PA if they are bought from a Pennsylvania Game Comission breeder. You can import them, but you will need to obtain a special permit which requires you to prove at least 2 years of handiling experience with that animal. Hope this helps for those looking to get one.

daniegyrl

Postby daniegyrl » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:56 am

I'm really confused now!! I rescued Sam 5wks ago in NW PA, I just read an article stating they were endangered, so is it illegal for me to have him? I'm trying to acclimate him back to the wild but he's pretty attached to me. I tried calling the PA Game Commission but have not heard back from them. I don't want to get in trouble and I just want what is best for my little man!!
Attachments
sam 002.JPG
sam 002.JPG (1.83 MiB) Viewed 8483 times

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:00 am

No Southern Flying Squirrel in endangered that I know of. Some Northern flyers in the Appalachian regions are rare: search.php?keywords=Blackwater Whether you can keep wildlife in your part of the State would depend on State and local laws. You might to seek out the help of a rehabber in your area: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=2010
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

daniegyrl

Postby daniegyrl » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:17 pm

Just a quick update on Sam....Friday 6/27 I took him to camp, which is where he was rescued from, at dusk up the tree he went!! At dawn he back to say hi and grab a walnut, I didn't see him again till Sunday morning. So I had to leave, he has his box, plenty of food and bedding. I guess my duties of a Squammy are over :? ...I was blessed to have had the opportunity to help him along, he touched my heart and I will never forget him!! I'm hoping to see him again this weekend...I hope your having fun buddy, glide safe!! :multi:

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:13 pm

daniegyrl wrote: ...I was blessed to have had the opportunity to help him along, he touched my heart and I will never forget him!! I'm hoping to see him again this weekend...I hope your having fun buddy, glide safe!! :multi:

He had a great foster mom! =D> If you don't see him again, he may have a girl friend and been accepted into a locol colony. :wink: BTY, Squirrels are easier to acclimate in the wild even after they have imprinted on humans than other animals because their mothers don't teach them any skills ... nest building, food collecting ... they have to learn it on their own, - whereas raccoons stay with their mothers for a year and do learn the skills they need to survive
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Legalities of Owning a FS”