Travel through Canada

Laws differ by state. Stay in the know.
DinNorman
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Travel through Canada

Postby DinNorman » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:18 am

Has anyone traveled with your flyer through Canada?

I am planning to go to Alaska via RV with my two brothers this summer. I was planning on taking Pearl with me, but from what I can find out, it is illegal to import ANY squirrel into Canada...no exceptions. Gerbils are ok, but I hate to risk a close inspection by anyone who knows the difference. I will probably have to leave her behind. The only other time that I did that, she lost a lot of weight and didnt look that good after only two weeks.
David

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Travel through Canada

Postby Joan » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:59 am

Yes, Canada can be a dangerous to take a flyer. I believe there is also a $10,000 fine if they catch you. Inspections at the border may be more strict now. Do you have any HOFs in your area to keep her ... or a NFSA member along your route? Do you know what states you will be going through?
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

DinNorman
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Re: Travel through Canada

Postby DinNorman » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:26 am

Should be traveling northwest toward Glacier National Park, then into Canada on whatever road goes to Alaska. This is one of those once in a lifetime opportunities and I hate to miss out but Canada's "no squirrels..no exceptions" policy has thrown a wrench into my plans. I know no HOF's other than the ones from Texas to Florida. Problem with someone in the family taking care of her is that they dont KNOW flying squirrels and they usually have vacation plans in the summer as well. Oh well something will happen for the best...always seems to.
David

Return to “Legalities of Owning a FS”