Shipping to a red state??

Laws differ by state. Stay in the know.
fullHOLLOW
NFSA Member
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Shipping to a red state??

Postby fullHOLLOW » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:30 am

Has anyone here actually had a their flyers mailed to them? Either directly to their home or to their nearest airport? I'm curious to hear how and if it worked out..Does the shipper label the animals "longtailed gerbils" or something?... Dont they inspect the animal if you get it sent to the airport?? I will apologize in advance to the morals and ethics police:)

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Shipping to a red state??

Postby Joan » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:38 pm

No one that got a flyer alive that I know of.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

fullHOLLOW
NFSA Member

Postby fullHOLLOW » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:16 am

That's so sad.. I'm pretty sure Helen's Little Critters ships the vast majority of the flyers they sell.. If the mortality rate was so high, wouldn't there be a TON of people on here and the Squirrel Board telling horror stories????? I can't seem to find anything significant... What I'm trying to figure out is...... Will a breeder or pet store mail a flyer to a red state?? And if so do they label it differently?? Flat tailed gerbal? Or something along those lines.. Has anyone actually done this?? I live in a red state(south east) and was curious how other folks got their flyers.. ( I have ended up on 18 hour roadtrips before!) If this is the wrong place maybe this thread could be moved to the General info area??? Thanks...

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:28 am

Hello! If you're discussing shipping to a state where it is illegal to own a flyer, I'm pretty sure you understand that people can't give you advice on that. I hope you can understand that it's not an issue of 'morality police,' but more an issue of what is or is not legal to do.

I second Joan's statement - I had a friend who had a flyer shipped to him, and the airport left the package for days without calling him. By the time he got to his baby, it was starving and dehydrated. Airlines are notorious for their bad customer service for people - they are even worse for animals. (You probably don't hear about it on these boards as much because most people here get their animals from hobby breeders, and drive to pick up.)

Also, no reputable breeder would intentionally mis-label a package. Breeders know which states are legal to ship to, and anyone who is 'above board' would not ship to any other state. They know, I'm sure, that doing so could lead to fines, loss of license, and closure of their business. No business person would sacrifice the future of their business for one sale.

On another note, if you have a flyer in a state that does not allow them, if you ever needed to take your animal to the vet for emergency care, you run the risk of getting fined yourself, and having the animal confiscated and euthanized. I have heard horror stories of illegal animals in other states getting taken from breeders and put down. Please keep in mind this danger to a pet, if it is not kept legally.

I do understand how you may feel - I have always wanted a hedgehog for a pet, but live in a state that does not allow them. I have realized that, if I wanted to get one, I would need to move to a different state. The danger to the animal is not worth it. I am better off having a pet that I can take care of properly, if it needs medical attention!

I don't mean to be mean or rude, and I hope you understand you are unlikely to get a response from people on this board, due to legality issues. Please consider a different pet while you are living in your state.

fullHOLLOW
NFSA Member

Postby fullHOLLOW » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:36 am

Thank you for taking the time to explain that in detail.. Makes perfect sense.. I have raised and rehabbed flyers and greys since I was 15.. I volunteer at a local wildlife rehabilitation center, and at my friends moms domestic animal rescue.. There are a number of different vets that I have worked with over the years and they have NEVER said anything concerning the legalities of owning or possessing a SFS.. I suppose that I am very fortunate to be around such awesome and open-mind vets/people.. Thanks again LauraK!!

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:16 am

I was posting in regards to US mail. I know some "sellers" who will ship that way and label the product other than a live animal. Many will ship via airlines to "Illegal" states and label the cage as other than what it is. I personally wouldn't want any of my flyers traumatized by a flight, but then I'm not in a money making business selling a product.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:27 am

Good points Joan. I'd add that if any of those sellers were caught doing that, they'd probably be in trouble. (I'm no expert of course, but I'm aware of times when game control confiscated pets, and so on).

I agree with the using airlines to ship flyers being a bad idea for trauma. Again, the only person I personally know who did so ended up with a very sick baby because of it. If he had gotten there only a few hours later, it certainly would have died. I've also read more than enough stories of lost pets in cargo to never want to fly my baby like that!

fullHOLLOW
NFSA Member

Postby fullHOLLOW » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:15 pm

You both have brought up some very sad but true points.. I personally would never consider "shipping" ANY animal. Not even a cat or dog..

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Nativeprincess » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:28 am

Actually, Sellers don't often get in trouble for shipping to an illegal state. Admittedly, the laws differ from state to state, but more often than not the onus is on the buyer for checking the legalities. So basically buyer gets in trouble, not seller.

Personally, I feel a short plane ride is much less traumatic and safer than a multi-day car ride. Animals (cats/dogs) are shipped frequently on planes, enough so that the airlines are use to it and know how to deal with live animals. Believe me, they do NOT want to deal with an owner who just lost their $1000 purebred puppy- so not good PR. A flown animal can be loaded,unloaded, and home in 5-8hrs where as that same distance by car would expose them to a jostling car ride for multiple days.
Then of course there is the issues, on a multi day car ride, of having to feed and water the animal. That mean opening the cage and the possibility of an animal in a new, scary environment, escaping. That's awful and very different from opening that cage in a safe calm environment of it's new home.
Finally, and this comes from personal experience (Stupid, stupid, personal experience, for the love of god don't do this) I flew with my flyer Rogue on a 1.5 hr flight. She honestly didn't care. She slept through the whole thing. Didn't like the noise of the engine on take off, but I could only tell that because she woke up, shifted positions, then went back to sleep.
However, she didn't like the car. Nor does Aiyasha. They don't *hate* it, they are more likely to be startled, have a hard time finding a comfy position to sleep (constant changing sun position), or have issues with temp control. Not a lot mind you, but I found it noticeable. and I am always worried about a car accident.

So yeah, that's my 2 cents. Shipping an animal isn't with out risks, but I think those risks seem larger because we are forced to give up control of a precious package and entrust it to someone else. Doesn;t mean the risks aren't there, but that they may feel bigger than perhaps they are.

Return to “Legalities of Owning a FS”