BONDING WITH MULTIPLE FLYERS??

Jackee1982
Juvie Pup
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

BONDING WITH MULTIPLE FLYERS??

Postby Jackee1982 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:22 am

I recently adopted three flying squirrels. The male Titi is very friendly and loves people. The other two are very timid and are not used to us yet. During the bonding process should I take them into the bathroom separately? I have a large cage big enough for me to stand in. Is it better when bonding to take them out of thier normal enviroment? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Jackee :)

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:38 pm

All I know is that flyers kept together will likely create a stronger bond with each other than with their HOF. If they are kept separate and each given their own time with the HOF and then introduced later on, they will each have a stronger bond with the HOF. Are they already kept together? I think that it is probably best to take them out of the cage and if they are young enough/will stand for it, keep them in your shirt or a bonding pouch. In almost any situation, the proper time and love will develop a strong bond no matter the age or number of flyers.
Chris
Proud HOF to Nieve
3-24-06
Thank you always Avalon!

Jackee1982
Juvie Pup

Postby Jackee1982 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:21 am

I do already keep them together. I recently adpoted them from a lady who didn't have enough time to spend with them. Two of the squirrels are 1 year old and I also have an 8mo old. I keep them in a very large cage. It is big enough for at least two people to stand inside so you can experience the squirrels in thier own enviroment. Do you think it would be better to seperate them?? The female may be pregnant. I do not want to scare her.

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:18 pm

I can't really answer that because my post is based on research. I don't have a flyer yet., but I am sure that some of our more experienced members will have more input. Have the flyers been kept together for months? If thats the case, they probably have already bonded and I don't know how much taking then apart would do.
Chris

Proud HOF to Nieve

3-24-06

Thank you always Avalon!

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:37 pm

Do you take them out individually to play with? My advice at this point would be to try getting which ever one seems the most receptive to you and putting him or her in your shirt to sleep on you during the day. Some flyers don't like this and some love it. Hopefully you'll have one who thinks he/she's better than the others and will be an HOF hog. :twisted: if you do, that's your baby. I have 2 and they are more bonded to each other than to me. But they are both very tame and run all over me, they just would rather play together. And they get anxious when I separate them. Good luck with yours.

Jackee1982
Juvie Pup

Postby Jackee1982 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:08 pm

Well, I've been taking my babies in the bathroom to bond w/ them. When I bring them in separately they seem to respond to me more. Titi will run all over me and look for pockets...It's soo cute...He actually started eating my jacket. Queen the female is still very scared, when I take her into the bathroom she flips out! She was trying to climb my bathroom walls!

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:42 pm

Jackie, I had two flyers to bond with and I kept both of them in my shirt at the same time. They both bonded to me very well. In fact, one of them is the sweetest flyer I have and still closer to me than any of the others. That was a year and a half ago.
Wanda
:flyer:
Owned by Shelly, Rose
:smt049 Peanut, Bud & Dinky Always In My Heart :smt049
Parrot, Miniature Donkey & 1 human
And All My Lil Orphans

Jackee1982
Juvie Pup

Postby Jackee1982 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:22 pm

I experienced my first SHIRT DIVE!!!!! Usually when I play with my flyers I will wear long sleaves so they can run all over me, last night my shirt was a little low cut and Titi just ran into my cleavage and chilled there for a while. His little claws felt sooo weird on my skin. Speaking of claws, my squirrels need thier claws trimmed. Are there any tips?

dianereichert
Juvie Pup

Postby dianereichert » Wed May 31, 2006 11:46 am

I put sand paper made for exotic birds under his food bowl in hope to keep the nails down a little. I don't want to clip them because I don't know how far the nail vein runs which would cause extreme pain and also how much nail he needs to climb. In the wild they are not trimmed. I would have wood for him to climb on which may natural smooth the nails out and try the sand paper. Don't get it from a regular store as there may be harmful aditives in the paper. Buy the sand paper made for birds.

Return to “Bonding with Your FS”