Great Progress

Naya
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Great Progress

Postby Naya » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:29 pm

I had Sweet Cheeks hanging around me for one whole school day and I already see progress! She does scootle away from my hand every so often but when I put her on my body she doesnt automatically "fly" away. She walks over me bit before she decides that my mirror is more interesting than I am. :bad-words:

Naya
Flying Furball

Postby Naya » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:37 pm

I guess keeping her in a bonding pouch during school for a bit longer will make her like me ?

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:40 pm

I keep rogue on my 24/7 practicaly.
I wake up to got o work at 7 and she comes w/ me.
I had to bring a pouch w/ me for the first week cuz she was prone to get active at the worst moments (lunchroom, full of women, and a *suposed to be* secret squirrel...not good)
but now...in my bra from 7-7 wherein she wakes up and runs around and then around 11- midnight, is her cage for her own play time.
I def suggest as much time w/ mummy as possible. Its amazing the diffrence I notice in her now compared to that first week or so.

Naya
Flying Furball

Postby Naya » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:48 pm

Oh no! Homie has been on my body for 2 weeks and for two days I let her have free reign over my room. She doesnt call when I call her and she doesnt come to treats either! It's like she's a wild flyer who only lets you pet her once before she dashes for safety. She's about 9wks or maybe a little less. Is it too late to bond with her? I mean...she's been to school with me for two whole weeks and I give her fruits, veggies, nuts, and treats non-stop...

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:53 pm

Naya wrote:... Is it too late to bond with her?

No, some are more work than others.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Naya
Flying Furball

Postby Naya » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:22 pm

But will she eventually become an affectionate flyer?

Yolanda
NFSA Member

Postby Yolanda » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:59 pm

Naya wrote:But will she eventually become an affectionate flyer?

It's been almost 3 years since we've had George. We figure she was about 2 months old or so when we rescued her. She still has some "wildness" in her and is definitely not as friendly as Lukas (thank you Joan & Laurie). She is very cautious when she's out. Shirt training is definitely a plus as Lukas (now 2!) still loves to shirt dive. Both recognize their names and will come when called.

They remind me of my daughters-identical in looks but definitely not in personalities! :D
Yolanda

owned by Lukas and his children: Hickory, Queen Nefertiti, Yuki, Buttercup, Lily, and Jib; RIP George (mate of Lucas and mother of his children)
Cinderella the rabbit
Jasper, Sibbie, Echo, Simon, Sphinx, Cotton, and Indigo (cats)

Naya
Flying Furball

Postby Naya » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:38 pm

Oh I see. I guess all I could expect/want is for Homie to come when called and to feel comfortable around me. Since she's still a baby I guess that could happen.

I let her out of her cage again and she ran away...took me an hour for find her hiding in between the computer wires behind my desk. Thank god she likes to chew on wood. I'm not sure if the wire casings can withstand her chewing.

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:34 pm

Do you give her a treat when ever she is called?
Cuz thats how Rogue got it down. She'd be in my shirt and piriodicaly I'd call her out and she'd come to the top of the shirt I'd giver her a treat and then she'd go back down. Now when ever I call she usualy at least sticks her nose out

Naya
Flying Furball

Postby Naya » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:14 pm

Yeah I try to but she doesnt seem to have a favorite treat or food that she thinks is worthy enough for her to poke her face out for. She enjoys pecans and apples but wont jump out for them. But alas my search for her golden treat continues. :idea:

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:43 pm

LOL, its amazing how picky these guys are.
Well you could try just caling her name or making a particular sound and then just giving it to her while shes in your shirt. It would def associate that sounds w/ food and eventualy she might start comming to it

Lora
NFSA Member

Great Progress

Postby Lora » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:47 am

One word Naya... Acorns. This is the "golden treat" for Bojangles. He will do anything for these.

Return to “Bonding with Your FS”