New Mom

Rockyamom
Baby Flyer
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

New Mom

Postby Rockyamom » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:53 pm

Hello...I am new at this. I have raised fox squirrels for years and released them when they could make it on their own but have never had a flying squirrel. Found this little guy right after the remnants of hurricane Ike came through Arkansas last weekend. He has fur, eyes are opened but I think he might have landed wrong because his right one is giving him problems. It keeps getting matted up, but I keep using a warm wash cloth to clean it up and to help it open up. I have put some moisture eye drops in it and that seems to be helping tremendously. He is now opening it on his own but I still make sure that it is free of matter. My problem is I have no clue as to what to do for the little guy. By the way my husband has named him after the famed "Rocky" of the cartoon Rocky and Bulwinkle...go figure, huh. Anyway I am feeding him puppy formula just like I would a fox squirrel. He stays in my shirt pocket most of the time. Don't think he is very old. Not sure how to tell. He loves to stay inside my shirt collar on the back of my neck...belly to skin. He is such a sweet little guy. He sleeps with me at night and when he gets hungry and starts moving around it wakes me up. Is there anything that I am missing or need to know? I am truly a novice when it comes to these little guys. Think I need some guidance and/or reassurance. I do not have a problem with giving my email address if I need to in ordert o get some much needed assistance. Thanks for the website I thoroughly enjoy it. Hope to be able to post photos one day soon.
Rockys Mom
HOF by Rocky (sfs)
Shadow (a pomeranian) &
Petes (a green parakeet)

lynn
Flying Furball

Re: New Mom

Postby lynn » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:57 pm

Keep looking around the website; there is a ton of information. You could be reading for weeks on all the bits; look at raising and feeding pups, as well as rehab and other topics. Good luck!
Lynn's spastic nuts: Bunpei, Boeing, Calypso, Dixie, and Piper.

Rockyamom
Baby Flyer

Postby Rockyamom » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:56 pm

Have been spending a lot of time on this sight and have been soaking everything up like a sponge. Gave the little guy a pecan piece today and he made mincemeat of it. I was so shocked. I was worried about him. We are getting him a cage tomorrow and hopefully he will like it, instead of my bra. Thanks for replying back, was beginning to wonder if I had done the right thing by joining the group. Now I don't feel so stange. I really enjoy this site.
Thanks again,
Rocky's Mom
Alta
HOF by Rocky (sfs)
Shadow (a pomeranian) &
Petes (a green parakeet)

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:01 pm

We are happy you found us. It's why we're here :D Since Rocky is clearly ready for solid food, be careful to start him/her(?) off right with introducing lots of fresh veggies to him daily. Youngsters also like and need fruit, but often tend to overdo them and cause problems such as developing diaherria, and ignoring the veggies. Some of the most excepted and liked first foods are acorns, broccolli, apple or apple sauce, cherrios, and yogurt. Keep giving the Esbilac for pups as long as Rocky wants. There will be more dietary needs when he does outgrow it, but for now just try to get him on the right track with healthy foods, and reading up here. This is the absolute best site on the net for education on flyers and help from those who love them :D
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

lucy10177
NFSA Member

Postby lucy10177 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:22 am

lol my furball is named rocky also.....my rocky absolutely loves kale and its pretty cheap to buy....he just has to have it every night.....when he was a pup i gave him baby food sweet potatoes and he loved that also. he later graduated to the real sweet potato but, be sure if you give it to him to peel it until he's older. vanilla yogurt is also a favorite. he's not to crazy for brocolli but, will eat it on occasion...just whatever you give him, make sure he gets plenty of calcium (sweet potato has the right calcium/phosphorus ratio). i was, like you, new at this and have learned plenty from experience and from this board. if i can help at all let me know.
paula

Rockyamom
Baby Flyer

Postby Rockyamom » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:04 pm

I am just as proud as a new mom can be...Rocky(male) has been eating some acorn. :multi: not a whole lot as yet...he dearly loves pecans but I read somewhere on this site not to give him to many, so he is limited to one small piece a day. We got him some of the nut n berry stuff but he just was not crazy about it yet...will just keep trying. Have a question though. I am not sure how old the little furball is...he had his eyes open when I found him...but like I said one of his little eyes got injured apparently in the fall...but I still love him...anyway back to my question... does anyone have an idea of how old he might be and how long will it be before he starts acting like a big boy(you know playing and such)...right now all he wants to do is stay snuggled to me(most of the time he wants to stay in my bra) I made him a bonding pouch so when I go somewhere he goes right along with me. Yes, even shopping. We went to Petco today to see if we could find him some of those suppliment blocks but the didn't have any. would it be better to just get the liquid drops...he loves his milk so I will keep giving it to him until he weans himself from it.
Thanks for the encouragement...
Rocky's Mom
HOF by Rocky (sfs)
Shadow (a pomeranian) &
Petes (a green parakeet)

Rockyamom
Baby Flyer

Postby Rockyamom » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:11 pm

Hello Ms. Paula,
could I just take some canned sweet potato and puree it and give him just a little of that at a time? And how often can he have something like that...maybe once a week?
Thanks
Rocky's Mom
Alta
:flyer:
HOF by Rocky (sfs)
Shadow (a pomeranian) &
Petes (a green parakeet)

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:28 am

Rockyamom wrote:... could I just take some canned sweet potato and puree it and give him just a little of that at a time? And how often can he have something like that...maybe once a week?
:flyer:

I give my pups small bits of fresh sweet potatoes as soon as they start eating solids. They don't have to be pureed. Remember, these little guys can chew on nuts and need to hone down their teeth. I tend to stay away from any processed or jarred foods as they often contain sugars that these little junkies don't need.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Rockyamom
Baby Flyer

Postby Rockyamom » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:29 pm

Thanks Ms. Paula, I appreciate your help. The furball is starting to want more than his milk and I will need all the help that I can get.
Rocky's Mom
HOF by Rocky (sfs)
Shadow (a pomeranian) &
Petes (a green parakeet)

lynn
Flying Furball

Postby lynn » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:44 pm

I would put solid food in with him, even if you think he can't open it. You'll be surprised! They start nibbling so young; and wild mamas would normally stash a pile of food in the nest. They go through the same stage as fox/grey squirrels, where they make gravel out of everything but don't swallow much, but soon they are able to swallow the solid bits. :toothy2:
Lynn's spastic nuts: Bunpei, Boeing, Calypso, Dixie, and Piper.

Rockyamom
Baby Flyer

Postby Rockyamom » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:42 pm

Thanks for the advice. The furball is starting to surprise me almost constantly. His eye is getting better by the day and he is getting very active. He loves to play in my t-shirt and me still in it. He is eating shelled nuts, broken acorns that I have cracked so he can get to the meat a little easier but still loves his milk. He gets pecans as goodies when he is with me. He takes the pieces out of my mouth and hides in my shirt pocket to eat them. Not leaving as many crumbs as he did. Hope that means he is growing.
Rocky's mom
HOF by Rocky (sfs)
Shadow (a pomeranian) &
Petes (a green parakeet)

Rockyamom
Baby Flyer

Postby Rockyamom » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:23 pm

Well my little furball is growing like a bad weed! He is starting to get more active. But he still loves to stick to me and snuggle a lot. He's not bonding with my husband as much as my husband would like but that's ok I feel that he's still bonding with me. Have gotten him a cage...he's not crazy about staying in it. I have started leaving him in there at night so he can have his night time play time. I took some ideas from the other HOFs and have given him a branch to climb around on. Got him a little house and hung in the top corner. Put a soup can with tissue paper in it on the bottom of the cage. Even found a wooden doll rocking chair and attached it in one of the lower corners(off the floor) and he gets on it and just sits there and looks around. Added some oak leaves today when I cleaned his cage(got the idea from another HOF). thanks for all the ideas. I am slowly adding more to his domain as I read about it on the message board. He is my 'heartbeat'! Gotta love the guy. By the way, has anyone taught their guy to kiss them?
Rocky's mom
HOF by Rocky (sfs)
Shadow (a pomeranian) &
Petes (a green parakeet)

lucy10177
NFSA Member

Postby lucy10177 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:05 am

Rockyamom wrote:Well my little furball is growing like a bad weed! He is starting to get more active. But he still loves to stick to me and snuggle a lot. He's not bonding with my husband as much as my husband would like but that's ok I feel that he's still bonding with me. Have gotten him a cage...he's not crazy about staying in it. I have started leaving him in there at night so he can have his night time play time. I took some ideas from the other HOFs and have given him a branch to climb around on. Got him a little house and hung in the top corner. Put a soup can with tissue paper in it on the bottom of the cage. Even found a wooden doll rocking chair and attached it in one of the lower corners(off the floor) and he gets on it and just sits there and looks around. Added some oak leaves today when I cleaned his cage(got the idea from another HOF). thanks for all the ideas. I am slowly adding more to his domain as I read about it on the message board. He is my 'heartbeat'! Gotta love the guy. By the way, has anyone taught their guy to kiss them?
Rocky's mom

i tried that kissie thing and got bit on the lip LOL guess my rocky does not like to kiss!! :blowkiss:

Rockyamom
Baby Flyer

Postby Rockyamom » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:20 pm

#-o sorry about that! maybe I get kisses because that's what I've done since the day I found him. I just let him know that I love him. You'll just have to keep trying I guess.
Rocky's Mom
HOF by Rocky (sfs)
Shadow (a pomeranian) &
Petes (a green parakeet)

Rockyamom
Baby Flyer

Re: Furball

Postby Rockyamom » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:11 am

My question is: what do you do when your sweet little loveable furball becomes a holy terror of a furbutt? :silly: 'The Rock' as my husband calls him, has turning into a teenager that gets on your last nerve! He drives the dog bonkers, rattles the bird's cage, literally, and most of the time I don't have time to pop the :popcorn: so that I can enjoy the show. The 'furbutt' as I so lovingly call him these days, runs back and forth on the back of the couch until the dog starts barking and jumping around,getting all excited, and then the furbutt jumps on top of the shade of the lamp sitting on the end table, then SPLAT! he hits the floor and down the hallway he goes. And of course, the dog goes into overdrive down the hallway too. And anyone that gets between them is definitely on their own when all heck breaks loose. Never a dull moment around here anymore. Well, guess it's time to go find the furbutt again...dooooooown the hallway. You know that song that George Jones sang years ago...The Race is on...well you know what I mean. Tootles for now.
Gotta love the little guys,
Alta
HOF by Rocky (sfs)
Shadow (a pomeranian) &
Petes (a green parakeet)

Return to “Bonding with Your FS”