question about bonding in shirt

cgevaldo
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

question about bonding in shirt

Postby cgevaldo » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:51 pm

I just got my first flying squirrel for Christmas. Her name is Agnes and she's now about 11 weeks. I've been keeping her in a bonding pouch under my shirt for a few hours a day. She is still scared to death of me, but I assume that is normal at this stage, especially considering my dad got her from an exotic pet shop, which was shady to say the least. So I'm not sure how much attention she recieved as a pup. I've read a lot of you talking about how you keep your flyers in your bras during the day, and that they love it. I am a guy, so that's not really an option. Do any of you just keep them in your shirt? And how long did it take for them to get used to skin-to-fur contact? Would you suggest I stop using the bonding pouch and instead just tuck my shirts in and carry her in that? Also it seems like whenever I hold her, she poops nonstop, do they tend to poop when they're scared? Haha, she doesn't seem to mind pooping all over herself but she will only pee facing the outside of the cage, onto the carpet. When they are older do they poop so much? I don't mind it much, I'm just curious.

jvillereptile
Juvie Pup

Re: question about bonding in shirt

Postby jvillereptile » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:33 pm

with my flers i wear an under shirt tooked in and a regular shirt untooked the longest it took me to bond with one of my flyers was a week and that was with him on me 8 hours a day. i also wore a pouch under my shirt that had treats and stuf in it for them and incase they got real active they went into the pouch. the constant pooping is from them being scared once they are use to you they will stop. mine actually will climb off me when they have to go and then come right back to memy flyers are so well bonded to me after the first 3 weeks that i have put them in trees and acted as if i was leaving them second later they were back on me and down my shirt. i have tried getting them use to other people but the only one they trust is me. i also put one of my undershirts in there cage after wearing it for a day. i hope this helps you

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:58 pm

shylo doesn't like sleeping in bras. she likes sleeping in sweat shirt hoodies. most my clothing is pretty tight, so she can stay in the clothing without falling out, but otherwise, i'll tuck in my shirt for her. a lot of flyers don't like bonding pouches. work on bonding with her at night too in a small location, like a bathroom, with the toilet lid closed of course! offer her treats and she'll start to trust you more. shylo seems to poop allll the time on me. she is bonded to me like glue, but she still poops every day on me, without fail. i've recently discovered a way to have her pee in a portable 'potty' (travel cage), and therefore, not get peed on, but the poop is a different story. she's done this since i got her a year ago. it doesn't seem like the pooping story is going to end any time soon.
be patient with the bonding. it can be tougher with some flyers than others. and also, based on what you've said, it's hard to figure out her exact age or where she came from.
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

Chippy
NFSA Member

Postby Chippy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:46 am

Chipper tolerated his bonding pouch while he was being dropper feed. After four weeks of dropper feeding he decided to wean himself and become Mr. Independent! Now the only time he goes down my shirt is to hide a nut/acorn or to hide from Cali when she is after him. He does still get under the covers at night with us, but not like when he was a baby and would stay there all night. Now we just wake up with nuts under the covers, in our pjs, our socks, and anywhere else he can manage to hid his nightly stash. Makes it easy to recyle the nuts though. Cali on the other hand is a shirt diver. If you are company over for a visit and you come to see her you are forwarned that you could have a flyer down your shirt. Most of the time she look for me, but there have been a few occasions that she has chosen our company to dive down. Cali was litter trained and I don't have much of a potty problem with her. She does like to pee on occasion but that is usually because I have a handful of acorns I'm giving out and she will make a dash for my hand, take her pick and then mark the rest so Chip won't touch them. Chip does his fair share of marking too. I didn't know you could potty train them or I would have worked on it better with Chip. He did kind of train himself to a hand towel that I have. I keep it in his favorite spot and he uses it most of the time. When we got him his new cage a couple of months ago I attached a fabric shower curtain to the outside of it to help with any type of projectile splatter. Bonding takes time with older flyers, but don't give up and just remember to be patient and let her come to you when you have her out for playtime in the bathroom or pop-tent. Best of luck!
Martie.....
Proud HOF of Chipper & Cali!

Zoe, I will listen in heaven for your hoof beat.
Gizmo, may you keep God's feet warm.

cgevaldo

Postby cgevaldo » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:53 pm

Sorry about all the questions, but yesterday when I was trying to take Agnes out of her bonding pouch to put her back in her cage, she bit me. That was the second time she had bit me and the first time was a few weeks ago when I first got her. Then this morning when I scooped her up from out of one of the pouches in her cage to put her in her bonding pouch, she bit me twice in a row.

I know all squirrels are different, but is this common for them to be fine with being in your shirt/bonding pouch for a few weeks and then start biting all of the sudden? I would think she would be getting more comfortable with me, rather than more scared.

Also do a lot of you let your squirrels roam around the house/room or do you only keep them on you and in their cages? If you do keep their cage doors open to let them do as they wish, around what age did you start doing so?

And one last question... as I mentioned earlier, I got Agnes from an exotic pet shop. They claim to have gotten her from a breeder, and that she was 9 weeks old when they sold her to me, but I'm not sure if I can trust them.

I got her for $120, how much are squirrels usually from breeders? I know this sugar glider breeder I talked to sold those for like $150 and at the pet shop the sugar gliders were only $90, so I figure they were probably not treated very well, if they are sold for such a cheap price.

Thanks for the responses,
Chad

jvillereptile
Juvie Pup

Postby jvillereptile » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:54 pm

most of my well bonded flyer will nip at me if i tried to grab them out of there house. a $120 is a decent price for them since my shop was selling them for $130. sugarglider i usualy wholesale out at $75 for males and $100 for females. im now up to 6 flyers i was given a baby girl today so now i have 3 pairs. so i have a new one to bond with and she has been biting me eversince i got her. i open their cage and all mine prefer to stay in close proximity to me wont go more then 10 feet away. give her time. my new one is sleeping in my shirt already.

lynn
Flying Furball

Postby lynn » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:29 pm

I broke Bunpei of biting (mostly) by saying "Ouch" rather sharply and putting him in a time-out carrier for a minute each time he nipped. He was only about 6 months old at the time, though. I don't know if that would be as effective for an older girl.
At 9 months old, it could be difficult to tell if she is an adult or young one. It is possible she was wild-caught, or just didn't get any human attention. Be very patient. I wouldn't reach into her box until you are well bonded, because she is going to be at her most territorial while she is new. Keep giving hand-fed treats and spend lots of quiet time together. She may come around, but sometimes it takes quite a while.
Lynn's spastic nuts: Bunpei, Boeing, Calypso, Dixie, and Piper.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:33 pm

jvillereptile wrote:... $120 is a decent price for them since my shop was selling them for $130.

What shop is that?
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

jvillereptile
Juvie Pup

Postby jvillereptile » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:56 pm

my friend owned an exotic pet shop at a flea market in here in jacksonville. it closed down back in april due to family problems. we sold all kind of exotics including skunks, foxes, racoons all different morphs, surgar gliders, flying squirrel, richardson ground squirrels. and lots of different birds and reptiles. i got one of my flyers through the dealer when the shop was still open and he is a great little the 9th with be 1 year for him. the company we order from is a wholesaler down in south fl. i got a couple from them last month and they were adults. by the time i got the money the babies were sold out. i generaly dont buy flyers but i wanted to get a couple more females to even out the balance. i ended up getting a new baby yesterday

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Sun May 17, 2009 4:41 pm

I have heard allot about just letting them sleep under your shirt is that better than a bonding pouch, so gather that the more time you let them spend on you when their baby's the better.
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Sun May 17, 2009 4:48 pm

I know this stuff but I just want to make the most of my days of her most important bonding stage any advice would be great.

R.I.P Taz

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:20 am

Hey guess who: Is it a good idea to have a nest box for your flyer right away or would a hanging bonding pouch be better at first ?

R.I.P Taz

Return to “Bonding with Your FS”