Need some advice!

Rockyamom
Baby Flyer
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Need some advice!

Postby Rockyamom » Fri May 15, 2009 11:33 pm

Well, 'furball' as I call him these days, spends most of the day with me. No matter where I go or what I am doing he is with me, inside the house, outside working in the yard or going shopping. And they love him at my doctor's office! I set his cage up in my room, I have my own room because of my illness, so that way he can run and play freely all the time. I close my door at night and he just has himself a big time and when he gets tired he comes and wakes me up with kisses and then gets in bed with me. Anyway, he has gotten to the point that he absolutely hates my hubby and basically men in general. He will jump from me to him if he gets anywhere near me. And tries to eat him alive. My daughters and grandkids, girls and boys, can love on him and he won't do a thing to them. Is he just going to be a momma's boy? Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Has this happened to anyone else? My husband dearly loves the little guy to the point that he is designing him a huge cage so he can have his own 'wing' of the house...in my room of course. =)) Thanks for any advice or thoughts.
Alta
HOF by Rocky (sfs)
Shadow (a pomeranian) &
Petes (a green parakeet)

Judy C.

Re: Need some advice!

Postby Judy C. » Sat May 16, 2009 8:35 am

Your furball sees your husband, and other men, as 'rivals' for your affection, so he is going to do everything possible to 'stake his claim' on you! :roll: He may eventually come to accept DH as a member of the family, or he may not. After the new cage is built, DH can try feeding furball treats through the cage wires. Make sure that the treat is his very favorite thing in the whole world, and then let DH be the only one that gives him that particular treat. Flyers are smart - he should soon figure out that if he's not nice to Daddy, he won't get his treats. Then slowly build on this foundation, having Daddy be the one to let him out of his cage, etc. Any time he attacks your husband, put him in a small cage for a 5 min. 'time out' - the squirrel, that is, not the hubby. Unless DH is the one that starts it!! :smt107 :rofl:

Good luck - hope ya'll end up one happy family. I'm sure Joan will be on soon with more suggestions.

Judy C.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Sat May 16, 2009 1:37 pm

I think Judy's advice is right on target. In my experience, this is the rarer case. Much more common is female flyers turning on wives and wanting "daddy" all to herself. Your boy is trying to be alpha male in your household and he doesn't care how big his rival is.
If he doesn't come around, get your husband a female and he'll feel better when she attacks you. :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Rockyamom
Baby Flyer
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Rockyamom » Sat May 16, 2009 4:08 pm

Thanks for the advice guys! I was afraid you were going to tell me someone had to go...and since the hubby is the breadwinner I was starting to worry about how to provide for the furball :rofl:

Will do as you suggest. Although furball does get his timeouts when he bites hubby. I put him back in his cage...HE DOES NOT LIKE THAT AT ALL...wants to be with momma. Didn't realize that he was that spoiled. 8-[

But I do love the little guy...think it's those big eyes that gets to me or maybe the kisses.

Have you ever seen a dog and furball play tag, wish I had a video of that to show you guys, I think I could win on Famous Home Videos.

Anyway, thanks again for the words of wisdom. May even try that now. Can't hurt.

Can we post photos here or is there a special place on website...want to show off my little handsome fellow.

Alta
HOF by Rocky (sfs)
Shadow (a pomeranian) &
Petes (a green parakeet)

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Sat May 16, 2009 6:19 pm

Rockyamom wrote: ... Have you ever seen a dog and furball play tag, wish I had a video of that to show you guys, I think I could win on Famous Home Videos.

Tom Hauk's dogs do that with his Hou. My dog would eat my flyers and they're smart enough to know it. Carley even sits up and begs them to come play. They hang on the blinds thinking she's nuts.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Bonding with Your FS”