Need help with bonding!

Keg
Juvie Pup
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Need help with bonding!

Postby Keg » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:27 am

Hello everyone! I need a little advice and encouragement about my squirrel, MJ. She's a sweetie, but is very mistrustful of me right now. I guess her breeder didn't handle her very much as a younger pup. Unfortunately MJ is 9 weeks old, so she will not bond as quickly as I had anticipated. I was under the impression that I would receive her at 5-6 weeks of age, but the breeder fails at communication... I'm being very patient with her but I was hoping that she would atleast have become curious about me by the end of the first week. Now that I've learned that she is 9 weeks old I understand why she is so skeptical of me. :(

So I've had MJ for about 6 days now, and I'm not expecting much but I feel like I've made a lot of progress. I'm happy to report that I got her to sleep in the pouch my girlfriend sewed together for me by day 2 and I think it has helped tremendously with bonding so far. Also, by day 3 I got her to start lapping milk off my finger. She doesn't really seem to like the syringe too much, but would lick my finger forever if I kept dripping milk on it. But just as I thought I was finally beginning to gain her trust, we fall back to like it was day 1 again. Today, while I was trying to get MJ back in her pouch to sleep (it was about 1 pm) after I had let her run around the bathroom, poop on me and sit in the corner as usual she simply would not stay put! Everytime I managed to scoop her up and place her in the pouch, she simply climbed out, ran down my shirt and pants and went right back into the corner again. Then she curled up into a ball and tried to sleep. As adorable as this was, I didn't want her sleeping on the hard, stone tiles. So I scooped her up place her in my pouch again. She escapes another time. Then another. After going through this 6-7 times, I finally brought her cage down to her and placed her in the cage instead of my pouch.

I still can't understand why she refused to stay in the pouch! She's never had a problem with it before. I've learned she doesn't like to stay in it very much when she makes a mess inside it, but I always clean up after her and make sure it doesn't smell bad before placing her in it again.

I know that was a really long-winded story, but I'm hoping someone will have some encouraging advice for me and MJ. How long can I expect the bonding process to take for a 9 week-old pup? I know it will take a bit longer since she is not as young and impressionable.

Chippy
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Re: Need help with bonding!

Postby Chippy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:54 am

A lot of flyers do not like the pouch, my Chipper being one of them. He was fine to start out with and when he hit that age he decided that pouches weren't his thing. If he couldn't escape, then he would panic being confined to it. They all have very different personalities just like humans. Some want will allow you to cuddle with them and others and very independent minded. Let's just say that MJ is in the process of training you, her new pet. As we experienced HOFs know, we are owned by our flyers and they do all the training. Quiet time in the bathroo is fine. It's best to just sit and read a book while she explores and get curious about you. Have little treats, like pecan pieces to encourage her with. Most of all, continue to be patient. My Chip is not the cuddling type, but he is very affectionate and will groom me and use me as his personal tree. When Cali is out chasing him around, he runs to Mommy to hide. Your relationship will be unique. You may also try just letting her down your tucked in shirt instead of the pouch. She might find that more appealing. I'm sure others on the board will be happy to add to this. If you remember that your the one in training; you'll do just fine. Keep us posted. :)
Martie.....
Proud HOF of Chipper & Cali!

Zoe, I will listen in heaven for your hoof beat.
Gizmo, may you keep God's feet warm.

Keg
Juvie Pup

Postby Keg » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:54 am

Thank you Chippy for your encouraging words. You don't know how much better reading all that makes me feel!

And yes I do hear the squirrels are the ones that do the training hahaha. I will try putting her in my shirt, but I hear it's hard to shirt-train them unless they're younger? I'll continue bringing her into the bathroom until that one inevitable day she decides to investigate me instead of the corner. :D But what time of day do you think is best to do this? She's still a pup so she'll run around a little if I decide to wake her up but she mostly sleeps during the day, which is understandable for nocturnal creatures such as ourselves (yes I am one too. :cool: ). Maybe after I eat dinner around 7 - 10 PM?

Keg
Juvie Pup

Postby Keg » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:30 pm

Okay so I slipped MJ down my shirt to see what she'd do. Initially I think she was a little freaked out and I could tell she was looking for a way out. Maybe she still is I don't know haha. But is it normal for her to want to go where my back is in order to hide from me? I'm afraid to sit down in a char in fear of squishing her against my back!

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:37 pm

[quote="Keg"]Okay so I slipped MJ down my shirt to see what she'd do. Initially I think she was a little freaked out and I could tell she was looking for a way out. Maybe she still is I don't know haha. ...

Absolutely and soon she'll know to get between your shoulder blades where you can't get to her. LOL When I sit down, I just scoot the furball over to the side. They soon learn to go with this this.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Keg
Juvie Pup

Postby Keg » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:59 am

Haha thanks Joan. I guess shirt-bonding is a good alternative to the bonding pouch, but MJ refuses to sit still in my shirt! I guess she really wants out. :P

On a good note, I'm making progress with MJ! She'll run over and climb over my legs when we're sitting in the bathroom and she'll come climb over my hand if I put it out for her. Nothing too drastic, but it's definitely better than her sitting in the corner the the whole time.

Any advice on how to get MJ from her cage to the bathroom without having to stick her in my shirt? She doesn't seem to like to sit in my hand very long.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:09 pm

Keg wrote:... MJ refuses to sit still in my shirt!

Flyer sit still ...surely you jest. :twisted:

She'll run over and climb over my legs when we're sitting in the bathroom and she'll come climb over my hand if I put it out for her. Nothing too drastic, but it's definitely better than her sitting in the corner the the whole time.

This is super. Give her a treat when she comes to you especially when called.

Any advice on how to get MJ from her cage to the bathroom without having to stick her in my shirt? She doesn't seem to like to sit in my hand very long.

I haven't had a flyer sit still in my hand since puphood. lol
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Keg
Juvie Pup

Postby Keg » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:39 am

Haha yeah I guess I am kidding myself if I want MJ to sit still in my hands/shirt or whatever. #-o

Good progress so far though! MJ will come over and crawl on my legs but will immediately retreat back to the corner if she senses even the slightest bit of movement. Even if I'm reaching over to give her a treat for being so brave! :? I guess it's back to reading and trying to ignore MJ haha. I never thought ignoring MJ could be so hard! In fact I never really want to stop paying attention to her if it's just us in a bathroom. This is just a rhetorical question but, how can anyone choose to read instead of interacting with/petting a squirrel?

Keg
Juvie Pup

Postby Keg » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:06 am

Another update!

Things are coming along nicely, considering the amount of time that I've had MJ for so far. She'll come investigate me during bathroom time (If she isn't too tired to play). Sometimes she'll just curl up in the corner with her tail in front of her face! But not before stretching out and yawning, which is priceless to watch! She's adorable, except napping during playtime is very detrimental to my goals lol. I get her to come over to me by giving pecan bits once she's on or nearby me (within an inch or two), which is great progress! She still runs off at the slightest movement, but I don't blame the poor girl. :) Hopefully with enough of this I can get her to trust me enough to come to me on her own will, without the pecan bit-bribes. :o

Does anyone have any advice to offer on what I can do to further develop her trust? Or am I on the right path?

Also, MJ has jumped out of my hands while trying to remove her from the cage and under my bed a couple times now. Luckily I managed to encourage her to leave my bed and run behind my desk where I could scoop her up and into my shirt. I felt horrible for putting her through the whole ordeal, and I definitely don't want her to feel like I'm chasing her. What do you suggest I do the next time she escapes?

Chippy
NFSA Member

Postby Chippy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:11 am

Keg wrote:Another update!

Things are coming along nicely, considering the amount of time that I've had MJ for so far. She'll come investigate me during bathroom time (If she isn't too tired to play). Sometimes she'll just curl up in the corner with her tail in front of her face! But not before stretching out and yawning, which is priceless to watch! She's adorable, except napping during playtime is very detrimental to my goals lol. I get her to come over to me by giving pecan bits once she's on or nearby me (within an inch or two), which is great progress! She still runs off at the slightest movement, but I don't blame the poor girl. :) Hopefully with enough of this I can get her to trust me enough to come to me on her own will, without the pecan bit-bribes. :o
The stretching and the yawning is the cutest.

Does anyone have any advice to offer on what I can do to further develop her trust? Or am I on the right path?
Sounds like you're doing just fine.

Also, MJ has jumped out of my hands while trying to remove her from the cage and under my bed a couple times now. Luckily I managed to encourage her to leave my bed and run behind my desk where I could scoop her up and into my shirt. I felt horrible for putting her through the whole ordeal, and I definitely don't want her to feel like I'm chasing her. What do you suggest I do the next time she escapes?

Sounds like she has you in more training. Hehehe She sounds like she is going to be very independent, just like my Chipper. The bed is his favorite place to go hide out. If you have a nest box that can be removed from the cage you may wish to take it in the bathroom with you and when you are finished with your play time try placing her in the saftey of the box and then putting the box back in the cage. I still do that with Chip if I want to show him to anyone. I just remove the whole box and transport him where I want to go and then open it up and scoop him out. When finished I repeat the process and then put the box back in the cage. He seems to enjoy the trip/visit and is ready to go to the comfort of his box when where finished. Just a suggestion.
Martie.....

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:16 pm

Keg wrote:... Also, MJ has jumped out of my hands while trying to remove her from the cage and under my bed a couple times now.

Oh yes, the first escape to under the bed. Chuck gave me a heart attack with that one. It's part of exploring and growing up. She'll soon come when called. If room is safe, just ignore her and she'll soon get bored and come out.

Chippy
NFSA Member

Postby Chippy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:50 pm

If I haven't mentioned it before, my husband and I don't own the masterbedroom. Chipper and Cali own everything! We're just the servents/staff,play toys, nut hiding places, and anything else they want us to be. We are allowed to stay in the room as long as we go by their rules. :roll:
Martie.....

Keg
Juvie Pup

Postby Keg » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:29 pm

Sounds like she has you in more training. Hehehe She sounds like she is going to be very independent, just like my Chipper. The bed is his favorite place to go hide out. If you have a nest box that can be removed from the cage you may wish to take it in the bathroom with you and when you are finished with your play time try placing her in the saftey of the box and then putting the box back in the cage. I still do that with Chip if I want to show him to anyone. I just remove the whole box and transport him where I want to go and then open it up and scoop him out. When finished I repeat the process and then put the box back in the cage. He seems to enjoy the trip/visit and is ready to go to the comfort of his box when where finished. Just a suggestion.

Yes! I've implemented this. I used the old nestbox she originally came in. I hope she doesn't have any traumatic memories of this particular nestbox, but I cleaned it out the best I could and threw some toilet paper in there so she could make herself a cozy bed. I would've liked for her to continue sleeping in my shirts as opposed to the nestbox so she can get used to my scent (or atleast the scent of my dirty shirts :P). But this is just fine! She seems rather pleased with the nestbox as she immediately retreats into her little "fortress" at the first sight of me haha.

Other than the slight downside, transporting MJ will definitely be much easier than before. Coaxing her into the nestbox is easy enough. I just shift a little and she scitters off like only a squirrel can. Then I just pick up the nestbox and start moving to my destination! MJ will poke her head out to see what all the commotion is about, but quickly decides that she feels safer in the box. Atleast now I'll be able to get her into my bathroom without a fuss and feed her milk and pecan bits!

Oh yes, the first escape to under the bed. Chuck gave me a heart attack with that one. It's part of exploring and growing up. She'll soon come when called. If room is safe, just ignore her and she'll soon get bored and come out.

Hahaha alright that sounds like a better idea than scaring her half to death with my enormous size (well, comparatively, I suppose I am) and just being detrimental to our relationship. Unfortunately both my room's door and my closet doors have just enough space for her to slip under, so I'd have to throw some clothing in front of those.

Does feeding her milk help me bond with her at this point? I think she's a little over 9 weeks old now. I'm not even exactly sure what age she is, the breeder refuses to give me a birthday and he keeps changing his mind about how old she really is.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:06 am

Keg wrote:
... Does feeding her milk help me bond with her at this point? I think she's a little over 9 weeks old now.

If she's weaned. giving her treats and carrying her in your shirt will do the same.

Keg wrote:
... I'm not even exactly sure what age she is, the breeder refuses to give me a birthday and he keeps changing his mind about how old she really is.

He may not know exactly. Mishi has surprised me more than once and I've had to quess at a birth date from development of the pups.

Keg
Juvie Pup

Postby Keg » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:58 am

Wow I'm very excited to share my news with you guys. MJ is finally getting over her fear of me! She'll come climb all over me when I sit down and sniff out my hands to make sure I'm not hiding pecans haha. :D Then later, while I was standing, she came over and climbed up my leg and onto my back! I tried to give her a pecan to show her she was being very cooperative, but I guess that scared her off hahaha. I'm more excited now than ever about bonding closely with MJ. I guess all I wanted was her love. :P

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:32 am

Good job!

Chippy
NFSA Member

Postby Chippy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:25 pm

=D>
Martie.....

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:04 pm

Sounds like you guys are starting to click,it can take more time depending on the temperament of the individual flyer, and like you said MJ hadn't been handled much as a little pup. Patients and goodies seems to be paying off for you I'd offer my two cents but I think your in good hands :D
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

Keg
Juvie Pup

Postby Keg » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:16 pm

Okay so another update.

MJ is very much an explorer! She loves to jump on me, then onto the toilet lid, then onto the toilet rack until she's as high as she can go in my bathroom. It's so fun to watch her climb and play and is especially a joy to partake in her explorations.

As comfortable as MJ is with using me as a sort of tree, she doesn't really seem to be that comfortable with ME. What I mean is that she won't let me pet her, which is strange because she never really had a problem with me petting her until a week ago. And picking her up is nearly impossible. I know some squirrels just don't like to be held, and I can accept that. But I feel like MJ is afraid I'm going to hurt her when I try to pet her. Any theories? And how can I get her to trust me enough to let me touch her?

Maybe she just doesn't want me messing up her fur. She's quite the clean-freak. :P

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:34 pm

Keg wrote:... I know some squirrels just don't like to be held, and I can accept that. But I feel like MJ is afraid I'm going to hurt her when I try to pet her. Any theories? And how can I get her to trust me enough to let me touch her?

She's getting to be an adult and her adult instincts are kicking in. She's just doing what nature programmed her to do.

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:48 pm

Yea Joan is right, I went through the same thing sort of with Kobie,at night she uses me as a tree and a safe place,every soften she will kinda cuddle, but she really likes to explore glide and just look for goodies. My advice to you is to have a pecan on you and when she shows interest in the hand that has the pecan than break off a small piece to give MJ,that will show that your a good source of goodies,don't over do it but I think that mite help,most importantly remember to relax,that was the hardest thing for me to learn, sounds like she is bonding well to you, but like Joan said she's becoming an adult she is going to become a little more adventuresome so as long as she is showing interest of some sort in you she's just finding out how to be a flyer and hey If was a flying squirrel I'd gliding around like crazy :twisted: Every flyer no matter how big a cuddle bug and I leaned this with Kobie,I've been there she will still have that bit of independency in her,remember if you watch them in the wild they are almost always moving,it may also be a way of discouraging predators, OH and by the Kobie does the exact thing,it just mans that she's comfortable with you,they all do this night is there time to be out and to find food explore and suck they are seldom going to sit still for you at night your doing a great job with her just keep it up she is doing what they all do, good luck. :D

R.I.P Taz

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:51 pm

I didn't meant to say suck :oops:

R.I.P Taz

Chippy
NFSA Member

Postby Chippy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:04 pm

Sounds like both my kids. They look for me to play with and be their buddy. I don't get to pet too often. But, when they let me I enjoy it as much as possible. Chipper would rather have me watch me jump and glide and be a part of his acrobatic apparatice. Cali still will shirt dive. Of course, I'm also a main location to stash nuts too. Chipper has learned that I get to give him kisses before he gets his treats. I most touching I get to do is when he peaks out his nest box hole for a treat and then I get to rub his chin and teeth and love on him that way. He'll hold on to my fingers and groom them and kiss and lick them. I was away for the 4th of July weekend and boy was he happy to see me last night. He was like a jack russell on caffine and ran all over me. Cali was happy to shirt dive and hide nuts in all my hiding places. It was good to be home and loved. I sure do miss those little furballs when I'm away. It sounds like MJ is happy with you and is enjoying herself. Far cry from the little one who would hide in the corner of the bathroom! :) I don't give out pecans bits as much now. I collect acorns during the season and freeze them and then give those out for them to stash. I also give out the mixed nuts when the holiday season is around and you can find them. Cali will sometimes get her nut and just sit in my hand and open it and eat it right there. I know she loves and trust me when she does that.
Martie.....

Keg
Juvie Pup

Postby Keg » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:03 pm

Oh well that's good to hear from everyone hahaha. I thought I just happened to adopt the most independent and disinterested squirrel in the world! It's good to be able to compare my experiences to everyone else's here.

How will I know when she is fully bonded to me? She never seems to be too excited to see me when I come into the room. And while she seems to like to climb on me, she doesn't really seem to come to me for comfort. If anything, she's still a little skeptical of me. It's been about 4 weeks now, and while I was expecting the bonding process to take somewhere around 3 weeks to a month, I'm not even completely sure what kind of progress I've made. I know what I have so far is good though.

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:33 am

How long during the day do you spend with MJ ??? As long as you do everything you can to bond your going to be alright. Your right some flyers are very well bonded by that point,but each flyer may take a little longer becoming very bonded to their HOF,some just are very independent and don't really ever settle down,for the most part,but DON"T [-X worry it sounds like you and MJ are doing good,I learned this when I got Kobie,that you have to be patient,because some times real progress can take a couple weeks and some times it comes over night,Your a first time HOF so am I, it's a big responsibility especially at first,but love her and she will love you back remember the progress you've made and don't worry about what you still need to do she's going to make you a into a great pet :D

I think if you try hand feeding her a decent amount of pecans she will come to depend even more on you"just as a training aid, get further advise before doing this". As far as name answering don't worry me and Kobie are still working on that one, but like anything worth while it takes time and patients. Just a thought,they love to climb to a high place and glide down on you maybe you could get her something like a pet tree might not be cheap,optional or show her something she can use to launch herself to you I think that kinda thing makes the bond better, good luck.

Travis

R.I.P Taz

Keg
Juvie Pup

Postby Keg » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:10 pm

Hahaha thank you for the advice. I spend about an hour with MJ every night in my room. I just open up the cage doors and let her do her thing. I offer her pecans whenever she comes in my general vicinity. I think she likes exploring my room a lot more than the bathroom (there are a lot more places for her climb). I still have to work on getting her to come to me when she needs to feel safe, but I'm glad she'll atleast climb on me.

So I'm being patient and I'm actually very content with where MJ and I are in our relationship. Haha it almost sounds like I'm talking about another person. :P As long as I know that we're only going to continue bonding I'm not going to worry at all.

Keg
Juvie Pup

Postby Keg » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:17 pm

Oh and also:

My girlfriend is contemplating getting a flying squirrel as well, maybe a boy so MJ has a playmate/boyfriend. :D

What I'm wondering is how long I should have MJ for before introducing a new flyer to her. I don't want her potentially bonding to the new flyer over me. My girlfriend will be keeping the new baby so that she's been adequately bonded to him before introducing the two. She'd keep the baby at her house, but she has a cat and a dog and is afraid about whether or not they'd be harassing him. She would feel more comfortable with letting the new baby stay with me but she still wants a flyer's love. :P

Any advice?

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:20 pm

I've been told to wait a year before getting another flyer,that's a tough thing to do because I want another one too. flyers need to be kept in separate cages for a while until they get used to one another. If you feel you have a close enough bond with MJ ?

Cat's and dogs don't do well with flyers,well dogs are better than cat's but I would watch out for both :)

R.I.P Taz

Keg
Juvie Pup

Postby Keg » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:32 pm

Thanks, flyer_1. I talked to her about it and she's willing to wait a bit before dedicating her life to a flying squirrel haha. She's already a bit jealous of MJ. I can only imagine what it would be like to be on the receiving end of the third squirrel wheel.

Keg
Juvie Pup

Postby Keg » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:23 pm

MJ got out two nights ago and we were so lucky to have rescued her from the toilet bowl downstairs! It was very scary because she had been loose for so long no one had any idea of where to look first. Can I expect her to want to escape like this in the future?

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:13 pm

They will explore anywhere.

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:16 pm

And every where,they will find anything dangerous and anything they shouldn't be getting in to [-X They do like to get into the toilet,I had a scare once thinking Kobie was missing :( try getting or making something to remind everyone in the house to keep the toilet lids down,read my signature under my posts :D

R.I.P Taz

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:53 am

Keg wrote: Can I expect her to want to escape like this in the future?

Yes, definately! When they realize that it throws you into a panic when they get out, they will spend all their spare time trying to escape, just to prove that they can. They may not go any further than the top of their cage, and then just sit there until you notice that they are out. It's not so much that they want to escape as that they want you to realize they CAN, any time they feel like it. It's all part of your training - you have to learn that the squirrel is the boss and can do anything they want to and you can't do anything about it. In other words, the sooner you learn to 'say Uncle", the smoother your life will be! :D :D

Judy C.

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:04 am

I haven't had any problems with mine escaping kind of thought that I would have by now. #-o

R.I.P Taz

Chippy
NFSA Member

Postby Chippy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:54 am

Judy C. wrote:
Keg wrote: Can I expect her to want to escape like this in the future?

Yes, definately! When they realize that it throws you into a panic when they get out, they will spend all their spare time trying to escape, just to prove that they can. They may not go any further than the top of their cage, and then just sit there until you notice that they are out. It's not so much that they want to escape as that they want you to realize they CAN, any time they feel like it. It's all part of your training - you have to learn that the squirrel is the boss and can do anything they want to and you can't do anything about it. In other words, the sooner you learn to 'say Uncle", the smoother your life will be! :D :D

Judy C.

This is the absolute truth! Chipper escaped from his escape proof new cage that he has been in since November. He just wasn't ready to be put up after being out all night. I closed him up and gave him an acorn (like I always do) and he was not happy with me. I left the room and came back just a few moments later and thought he was asleep in his box. Next think I hear are the sound of little feet running along my bed and I looked over and there he was with a great big smile on his face. I asked him how he got out and I could see him just chuckle to himself. I opend up the cage door and in he went. It was all to prove the point that he could get out when he wanted and that he just wanted me to know that I had better get with his program! :roll: Case in point...always keep the toliet lids down and bathroom doors closed!
Martie.....

Keg
Juvie Pup

Postby Keg » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:37 am

Haha well atleast I'm not the only one this has happened to. It was almost embarrassing until now. I'm so glad this board exists, you guys are so helpful!

Keg
Juvie Pup

Postby Keg » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:56 am

Hi again! I don't want to be annoying, but I just want to check in every now and then and make sure I'm doing everything right as well as to get feedback from other people.

So it's been just a week shy of 2 months with MJ now. How long does it usually take an older flyer to bond? Will my bond with her only continue to strengthen over the next year or so? The reason I'm asking is because although I feel that MJ recognizes me as a source of treats from time to time, she still seems terrified of me. I don't want to have to chase her or anything, so I just let her run around my room if she ever gets out of her cage. The only problem is, the only way to get her back into her cage without scaring the poop out of her is to find her the next morning and scoop her up while she's still groggy. Am I just being impatient or is she just extremely independent?

lynn
Flying Furball

Postby lynn » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:41 pm

They're ALL extremely independent!
Are you able to spend time with her in a shirt or pocket during the day? The more time together while she's quiet, the better. I find that sometimes one of my guys needs to spend more time in my shirt to remember that I'm not just the big-bad-meanie that cleans the cage and puts them away at night. Usually, a couple of hours of close contact will improve the situation. I'd spend more time with each of my furballs if I didn't have to work all week!
Lynn's spastic nuts: Bunpei, Boeing, Calypso, Dixie, and Piper.

Keg
Juvie Pup

Postby Keg » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:55 am

I used to carry her around in my shirt or a bonding pouch when she was still a little pup, but after a certain point, she refused to stay in the pouch and would bite me from inside my shirt if I tried to keep her in there. So now I just take her to the bathroom every night for about an hour and let her run around and feed her pecans. Will keeping her in my shirt work for her now? She's already over 3 months old and probably won't be sleeping if I decide to slide her down my shirt. She'd probably just climb right out. :? Should I just keep up with the bathroom method? I think some close contact would do MJ and me world of good... the only problem is making her feel safe while she's in my shirt.

And I do work a lot as well. Whenever I work at night I usually don't get home until 11:30 pm or 1:00 am at the latest since it's a restaurant. Fortunately for me, that's when MJ tends to be the most active.

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:11 am

She will do well with the bath room bonding,she'll use your shirt as she sees fit and when she becomes more bonded to you, keep up the good work. :D

R.I.P Taz

Return to “Bonding with Your FS”