Kiwi has gone mad...

Katayun
NFSA Member

Kiwi has gone mad...

Postby Katayun » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:33 am

I'm having some trouble with kiwi
I haven't taken the poor little guy out in a week because I'm so scared. :(
the last couple times I took him out hes attacked me BAD. he attacked my face once, then my foot, then my fingers and then my ear!!! its not like him AT ALL! he was the sweetest little boy.
oh yea.... I recently moved into a new apartment (5-6 months ago) so I thought at first it was because everything was new to him. but 5-6 months is long enough for him to adapt to my new place don't cha think? I don't think I can handle a grumpy squirrel for ANOTHER 6 months. HELP!
I don't know what to do anymore. I hope I don't have to start the bonding process over again. I'd be too scared to be in a bathroom with him!
AHH! me vs Kiwi.... ALONE! [-X

THANKS GUYS!
:cat: Kat + Kiwi

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Kiwi has gone mad...

Postby Joan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:07 pm

Sounds like a bad case of hormones. Find a really small cage or container that is stripped bare of anything. Next time it happens, hold onto him not matter how much biting, put him in it and leave the room for 5 minutes ....enough time to wash the blood off your hands. :twisted: These time out are usually effective once repeated several times. Also, while he's bitting your hands cupped him, say loudly, "No Biting!"
Let us know how this goes after a few tries.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Katayun
NFSA Member

Postby Katayun » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:40 pm

THANKS JOAN!
to be honest I'm kinda scared. LOL but I'll try.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:53 pm

Katayun wrote:... to be honest I'm kinda scared. LOL but I'll try.

Oh, I fully understand that fear ... you just need to go in knowing your going to be bitten and try not to jerk away or wring his little neck ... been there, thought about it. lol
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Katayun
NFSA Member

Postby Katayun » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:15 am

forgot to give you guys an update. the day after i posted this topic i tried taking kiwi out.
i opened the cage and let him come out on his own time.
when he jumped on me i gave him an itty bitty piece of pecan.... he ate it on my legs. after that he decided he wants to attack my hand. i freaked out and gave him a big piece of pecan and he ran in his cage and i closed the door. ahhh!
so the next day i woke him up and gave him some treats. he was so sweet. he licked mommy a million times.
so i took him out at night and AGAIN SAME THING.
so the next day, AGAIN, i gave him some treats and he was sweet as usual. at night i gave him some treats through the cage and took him out. he didnt care to hang out with me much. he ran around the room once and went back in his nest box and didnt come out.
Now tonight i tried taking him out and he FRICKIN ATTACKED MY HAND BAD! whats going on?! so i put him back in his cage and raced to the computer to get some more advice. i honestly dont think i can do what you said joan. he doesn't bite once or twice. he repeatedly attacks my hand over and over. i have to hold myself from flinging the poor thing off me. i just want my old kiwi back.

p.s. i dont use lotion. i dont use scented soap (bc of kiwi) and i dont wear perfume.

lynn
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby lynn » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:39 pm

What a little stinker he is! I remember when you were so excited to finally get him, and how worried you were at first about feeding and bonding...I hope he will calm down as the weather changes. My guys aren't acting as friendly either, although they haven't attacked. Whew! :(
The best I could say is to keep trying, give him many short, positive interactions and try to exit while he still remembers the yummy treat. :popcorn:
Hoping for a miraculous transformation . . . . :love7:
Lynn's spastic nuts: Bunpei, Boeing, Calypso, Dixie, and Piper.

Katayun
NFSA Member

Postby Katayun » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:11 pm

aww thanks! we had 10 minutes of play time yesterday without him going coocoo on me! lets see what happens tonight :D
crossing my fingers!!

Return to “Bonding with Your FS”