Help with Bonding with wild flyer...

Zeal
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Help with Bonding with wild flyer...

Postby Zeal » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:55 pm

I have a recovering flyer who, from examinations thus far, may have some permanant nervedamage in a hind leg. So, he will most likely be "staying." The question is, how does one bond with a wild flyer? WILL a wild flyer bond?

Thank you in advance for all your answers.

Z~

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Re: Help with Bonding with wild flyer...

Postby flyer_1 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:26 pm

The most important thing is to remember that this is a wild animal and it will take time but there are a few things you CAN do, I've heard of flyers being taken in as adults and doing well so it's been done. Hear are five simple tips from someone who's NEVER taken in a wild flyer he he.
1.Hand feed as much as possible .
2.Use a pup tent something closed in for bonding time.
3.NUTS I don't know how many squirrels you've had but walnuts and pecans are great for teaching.
4.Handle your flyer as much as possible, try not to use gloves you want to gain trust, you can use a pouch but an older flyer will probably prefer your shirt or pocket.
5.Be patient it will take time just make him feel as at home as you can and he should come around, this will be easier because he's handicapped and should rely on you more.

Good luck :D
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Help with Bonding with wild flyer...

Postby Joan » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:36 pm

Zeal wrote:I have a recovering flyer who, from examinations thus far, may have some permanant nervedamage in a hind leg. So, he will most likely be "staying." The question is, how does one bond with a wild flyer? WILL a wild flyer bond?

Thank you in advance for all your answers.

Z~

Depending on the age, it's possible especially if you have been "Nursing" an injured one. Bonding is based on their trust in you. They tend to bond with caretakers. Flyers have amazing recoperative abilities and you may be surprised at the extent of recovery. If you are able to handle the flyer (even with gloves), I'd start warmwater massage and range of motion exercises on that leg. I'll have the ER Team look and make suggestions too ... they have the most experience with injured flyers and their bonding experience.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Bonding with Your FS”