Bonding with adult flyer

joshb
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Bonding with adult flyer

Postby joshb » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:24 pm

Is it possible to bond with a flyer older than 8 weeks? What is the oldest flyer that you would consider adopting, with hopes of it bonding closely?

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Bonding with adult flyer

Postby Joan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:32 am

With patiemce you can bond with an older flyer. As they age, they want to explore and run around using you as a home base and tree to jump on. An adult flyer will not cuddle like a baby no matter how bonded. I know it is possible to have a flyer older than 8 weekd be as bonded as an adult who was gotten at 8 days. You have to remember that these are basically wild animals and you cannot expect domestic pet behavior no matter what. I have no idea what would be the oldest a flyer could be to bond. Even completely wild flyers will come and hit in a human's hand for a treat if they have developed trust in that human. I think the personality of the flyer and the HOF is important. If you can accept them on their own terms without a need to be pleased, trust develops faster. Maybe some other can speak to their experiences with bonding.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Bonding with Your FS”