Bonding question and help

Shemalv7
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:38 pm
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Bonding question and help

Postby Shemalv7 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:57 am

It is impossible to find breeders in Florida but I found a place that has 3 babies. The store recently bought them from a breeder but not much is known about him. Unfortunately, they are about 10 or 11 weeks old and have been cuddling and bonding with each other since birth. I think they were weened off hand feeding a little early as well (probably about 6 or 7 weeks). So I would not be able to hand feed it and it is a little old for bonding and it may be already bonded with its sisters.... what do you think??? I am prepared to carry it around in a pouch for hours and hours but Im not sure if it is enough since it is a little older and was already weened off of hand feeding?

Any helpful tips are appreciated!!!

I may be able to get a hold of the breeder. What questions should I ask if I do?

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball
Posts: 230
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 5:26 pm
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4
Location: Southern States

Re: Bonding question and help

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:19 pm

If they aren't a hobby breeder, I would ask to visit the facility. Make sure it's clean and it seems like they really take care of the babies (not just caged and left alone). I'm sure others have more questions they would ask, and there may even be a thread here already answering your question, I just can't think today! :)
Shannon, mom to Sandy, Daisy, Jack, Zooey and three human teenagers! :)

Joan
Site Admin
Posts: 9063
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:30 pm
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4
Location: Fleming Island, FL
Contact:

Re: Bonding question and help

Postby Joan » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:18 pm

Shemalv7 wrote: It is impossible to find breeders in Florida but I found a place that has 3 babies.

What part of the State are you in? There a number of hobby breeders in Florida.

Shemalv7 wrote: ... The store recently bought them from a breeder but not much is known about him.

I am always suspicious of stores that carry flyers and can't provide info on the breeder. I've seen two pet stores that had flyers and they had NO idea how to care for them ... much less the sex or age. Florida is notorious for poachers who steal pups and pregnant wild flyers and sell the pups as captive bred. Also, one I know about, imported from Georgia where it is illegal to capture OR sell them. The store should know the name of the "breeder". Some "breeders" are really brokers and get their pups from flyer "mills" and sell them.

Shemalv7 wrote: ... Unfortunately, they are about 10 or 11 weeks old and have been cuddling and bonding with each other since birth. I think they were weened off hand feeding a little early as well (probably about 6 or 7 weeks). So I would not be able to hand feed it and it is a little old for bonding and it may be already bonded with its sisters.... what do you think???

If the pups have been well handled, they would be bonded to humans and the bond does transfer. I've pulled pups at 5 & 6 weeks to work with and they almost always refuse formula because they are use to momma's milk. At this age they will eat solids like little pigs and I would offer formula in a small dish if they wanted it. I've never had a problem getting a pup to bond even without formula feeding.

Shemalv7 wrote: ... I am prepared to carry it around in a pouch for hours and hours but Im not sure if it is enough since it is a little older and was already weened off of hand feeding?

Observe how the pup reacts to being held by store staff.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh


Return to “Bonding with Your FS”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest