New flyer scared of me.

Sreisig1
Baby Flyer
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

New flyer scared of me.

Postby Sreisig1 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:52 pm

I purchased a flyer from someone and was told it was tame and hand fed and 9 weeks old. So far it's just been scared of me. Runs away. It hasn't bitten me which is good. It let's me pet him sometimes, but most of the time will run away. It doesn't eat from my hand. I can put a pecan right in front of its face and it won't take it. So far have. Even doing the bonding pouch for 4 days. I just tried the bathroom trick out for the first time today. It hangout in my hood of my sweatshirt for a little and then ran out and hung out in the towels on my shower curtain. Will this flyer ever bond? It seems like he wasn't handled much.

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Re: New flyer scared of me.

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:23 pm

Are you giving it formula? If it's 9 weeks old, it should still be taking it. I would keep trying the bathroom trick, it will take awhile. Be gentle, talk soothing. If you are giving it formula, you should be hand feeding it which also will help with bonding. Good luck!
Shannon, mom to Sandy, Daisy, Jack, Zooey and three human teenagers! :)

Sreisig1
Baby Flyer

Postby Sreisig1 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:11 pm

No I'm not giving it formula. I'll get on that right away. He's been eating bits of apples and pecans, sundlfower seeds on his own. But not by hand. How along should you still be hand feeding formula? I'll go pick up some esbilac now.

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:13 pm

As long as they will take it. I know some that will take it over a year. I think you should check out the flyer nutrition topic on this website. I'm not sure if Ebislac is what you need to give him. Hopefully Joan will be on here soon and can help, she's way smarter than me at this. I think goat's milk is supposed to be better, but again, not sure.

Sreisig1
Baby Flyer

Postby Sreisig1 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:51 pm

Alright. Thanks. I have goats milk epsilac on hand now. He licked the syringe and licked it a little. That's about it. Still just scared of me. Burrows into the corner of the bonding pouch

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:55 pm

Bless his heart, and bless yours too! Be patient, keep trying. It takes time, and he might not have been handle much.

pattis
Juvie Pup

Postby pattis » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:54 pm

If you suspect that he is older than what you were told, I've had Rowdy for 2 months now and he only took the first pecan from my hand last week. He was 8 months old when I got him, so much older. I don't believe he bonded with a person during the time the breeder had him. He still will run and hide, or he will freeze. He let's me pet him and hold him in a pouch or my shirt or sometimes I just hold his nesting box and pet him. It's taking some time, but it's only 2 months that I've had him.
Rowdy's friend

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:57 pm

Try the bathroom method viewtopic.php?f=16&t=205 of him getting to know you. If he was bonded to someone before you got him, he'll shift that bond to you. If he's never been bonded, this is a good way to get him to trust you. Patience is the key.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Bonding with Your FS”