New Squirrel "Mom" with Questions

slmero
Juvie Pup
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

New Squirrel "Mom" with Questions

Postby slmero » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:16 pm

I just got my flyer yesterday and I was wondering what the best way to go about introducing myself to her. She is supposed to be 10 weeks old but I got her from a place in Texas so I don't know for sure. She was shipped on a plane to be in Massachusetts so when I got her gone last night, she ended up getting away from me and when I finally caught her to put her on her cage, she bit me. I know it was ight because she was scared but I'm worried she wont trust me now. I was able to pat her this morning while she was still in her cage in one of her sleeping pouches. I was then able to scoop her up in my hand and just hold her while she was still in the pouch. What is the best way to get her acclimated to her new environment these first couple of days? I've got her bonding pouch ready to go but I don't know if I should let her get used to her new home before I try to get her in a bonding pouch. Please help!
Momma to 3 babygirls:
Miss Bella Rose (my newest and youngest, flying squirrel)
Miss Gracie Ann (my rebellious middle child, ferret who thinks she's a dog)
Miss Foxy Lady (my first-born, dog)

Joan
Site Admin

Re: New Squirrel "Mom" with Questions

Postby Joan » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:46 pm

You can go ahead and start carrying her so she gets use to your odor. The first time I picked Chuck up, he bit me too. You are right about her being scared. She will adjust quickly. Try not to be anxious as she will pick up on this. Just take you time and be patient.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

slmero
Juvie Pup

Postby slmero » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:46 pm

Thank you so much for your quick reply!! She seems to really like being pet while she's in her cage but when I try to scoop her up to put her in her bonding pouch, she either gives me a quick nip or just jumps off. Do you have any suggestions for getting her from her cage to her bonding pouch? Or should I just take her out in her sleeping pouch and use that as a bonding pouch for now? Since she was on an airplane for quite a while yesterday and I knew she was scared, I let her chill out in her cage last night to get used to her new surroundings. So tonight, I'm going to try the bathroom method for the first time. I got her from a place called S &S Exotics in Texas. Do you know anything about them? The lady seemed very nice and knowledgable but I don't know if Bella Is actually 10 weeks old or older? Is there a way to tell a flyers age? :n00b:
Momma to 3 babygirls:

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:02 pm

slmero wrote:... should I just take her out in her sleeping pouch and use that as a bonding pouch for now?

That's a good plan. Since she needs more than one sleeping place, just make them pouches. Take it out in the morning when she is sleeping and carry her until you go to bed.

slmero wrote:... I got her from a place called S &S Exotics in Texas. Do you know anything about them?:

S&S is a large distributor of many exotic animals. There is no way they breed all of these ... if any. They buy from someone else and sell at a higher price just as pet stores do. We would call them a BROKER: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=962

slmero wrote:... Is there a way to tell a flyers age? :n00b:

Not really ... if her teeth are still while, she's a pup. If yellow/orange an older flyer.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

slmero
Juvie Pup

Postby slmero » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:25 pm

Hi Joan! Thanks again! Here's a little update. You mentioned having more than one sleeping place... she has 5. Her favorite and the biggest one is a pyramid shaped sleeping pouch. Her second favorite spot is this little "Critter Cup" bed that is very soft and snuggly and even though it has no roof and she is exposed, she sleeps in it anyway. The other sleeping places are 2 bonding pouches and a "treehouse". So that is a great idea to use bonding pouches for her to sleep in because it will be a lot easier to get her out of her cage.

Now, Bella's diet... Before I got Bella, I signed up here and also on the Squirrel Board. I've noticed some conflicting posts on what I should be feeding her. :-s :?: This site says the following:

"Give the flyer fresh fruit and berries, blossoms and seeds from sugar maple trees, honeysuckle and white clover flowers. Add fresh cultivated mushroom, broccoli, fresh or dried ear of corn and now and then a bit of unsweetened cereal, such as Cheerios. Sweet potatoes have the correct CA/p ratio and are very nutritious. Just keep the diet varied and they will get everything they need. They eat very little so what they are fed is very important.

In addition to the fresh fruits and vegetables, the flying squirrel diet can consist of a high quality wild bird/rodent food/that is a mix of seeds, nuts (in-the-shell) and fruit. They prefer larger seeds to smaller ones."

However, the Squirrel Board says NOT to give any kind of bird food because it's too high in seeds and corn. It says to give seeds and nuts as treats only. It also says to give fruit in moderation as well and not have that as a base diet. After reading as much as I can about a flyer's diet, this is what I've decided to feed Bella:

1. Henry's Healthy Blocks - the Flyer Blocks. I haven't fed her these yet because I just ordered them yesterday. The reason I'm ordering these is I read that they contain just about every vitamin and mineral a flyer needs when given with fresh veggies and fruits. The only thing that worries me about them is that they are high in nuts and I read that nuts should only be given as treats. I hope she likes them. Any thoughts?

2. I found a website called http://www.exoticnutrition.com where they sell all sorts of flyer food and supplies. I ordered one of their foods that I was going to use as her base diet. It has a pellet base and a mixture of nuts (walnuts, pecans, cashews, etc...) and dried fruit (golden raisins, dried apple, etc...). However, I was told by a member of the Squirrel Board that this food is way to high in nuts and to not use it. Any thoughts? Here is the link to the food if you want to check it out: http://www.exoticnutrition.com/desqfo10lb.html.

3. I was just told by another member of The Squirrel Board that Fox Valley 20/50 Squirrel formula is a good source of calcium and other vitamins so I just ordered some of that. However, I'm already supplementing with calcium powder sprinkled on her food so should I stop doing that when i start giving her the fox valley formula? Also, do I still need the formula if she like Henry's Flyer Blocks? I know it's not good to over-supplement.

4. Now for the fresh stuff. I was sent this great link to a chart showing a list of good foods to feed flyers and it gives the calcium to phosphorus ratio for each. So, using that as a guide, I have decided to feed Bella the following veggies: brussel sprouts, green beans, and romaine lettuce. I will switch that up a bit with kale, chard, and some carrots. For fruits, I have decided to give her clementine segments (which she LOVES) and peeled apple pieces. Finally, as a little protein boost, I've ordered her some live mealworms. Are those ok to give if she's getting supplements form the flyer blocks and/or the formula? AHHH... So confusing!

5. As for treats, since I am being told by many people that nuts should ONLY be given as treats, I am giving Bella pecans and hazelnuts. Occasionally a cashew and sunflower seeds. But Bella's favorite thing is dried blueberries.

Phew... Bella eats better than me. So, that is definitely a varied diet. And I'll be honest, it's getting a little exhausting reading so many differing opinions when it comes to what I should feed Bella. All in all, I would just like some advice as to whether or not what I'm feeding or about to feed Bella is good or if I'm missing something or overdoing something... Any advice is welcome! I just want to give Bella the best, healthy life possible and I know diet is one of the keys to that!

I will keep you guys posted on our progress... Wish me luck!

P.S. - I am attaching some pictures of her and her cage for everyone to meet Miss Bella Rose! :B-fly:

0123142111.jpg
Miss Bella hanging around...
0123142111.jpg (378.74 KiB) Viewed 5973 times

0125142213a.jpg
Bella Rose's new home
0125142213a.jpg (488.84 KiB) Viewed 5973 times
Attachments
0125142212.jpg
Chilling in her critter cup... :)
0125142212.jpg (651.89 KiB) Viewed 5973 times
Momma to 3 babygirls:

pattis
Juvie Pup

Postby pattis » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:22 pm

It sounds like you have a nice variety for your bella Bella. I know with Rowdy that sometimes he will love something and then it seems he stops eating it. He doesn't seem to eat much of the bird seed that is in the hamster food I offer him,(at least not the round ones) but he does eat the pellets from the squirrel diet that I ordered for him. He loves pecans all the time as well as pumpkin seeds. I think they're like candy to him. Make sure you give her some in-the-shell nuts to chew. Rowdy loves hazelnuts the most. Well hazelnuts are so far the only ones he has chewed enough to open. He used to eat dandelion greens but not so much anymore. I still put them in there so he has options. I coat a shelled pecan with the calcium so I know he gets it. I put hamster vitamins in his water every other day or so. Too much is not good. I give him apples, clementines, sweet potato, mushrooms, bell peppers, romaine lettuce, spinach, roses. He loves the mealworms too. Your local pet store should have them. It sounds like you are giving her a good variety. And she's not going to eat everything all the time. I put the calcium on the pecan because I know he will eat it every time. Calcium is very important, but not too much. Blessing to you and your Bella!
Rowdy's friend

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:48 pm

I know what you mean with how confusing it is to find what works for them...especially on The Squirrel Board. I think the best thing to do is find what works for you and your flyer. They need vegetables, fruit, water and protein. Protein is found in nuts too, not just mealworms. I don't feed Jack the worms, he likes crickets! As long as they get the calcium and Vitamin D they need (I had a flyer that got MBD, from lack of calcium and D...I was a newbie, it was so sad, but he got better quick!), and they don't eat the stuff that's bad for them (chocolate is a NO), I think they are fine. I have heard that too many pumpkin seeds are bad for them (gives them diarrhea, you just have to figure out what Bella likes and dislikes, and that can change (they are so finicky!)

I give Jack the healthy blocks too (he likes the picky ones better), but he eats the veggies and fruit first, so I cut the blocks in half.

She is a cutie!!
Shannon, mom to Sandy, Daisy, Jack, Zooey and three human teenagers! :)

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:13 pm

slmero wrote:... However, the Squirrel Board says NOT to give any kind of bird food because it's too high in seeds and corn. It says to give seeds and nuts as treats only. It also says to give fruit in moderation as well and not have that as a base diet.

I think most bird seed mix is a waste of money as they go for bigger seeds. However, in the wild, they do eat what is put out for birds. I keep in-shell nuts available at all times. Most just get stashed.

slmero wrote:... 1. Henry's Healthy Blocks - the Flyer Blocks. I haven't fed her these yet because I just ordered them yesterday. The reason I'm ordering these is I read that they contain just about every vitamin and mineral a flyer needs when given with fresh veggies and fruits. The only thing that worries me about them is that they are high in nuts and I read that nuts should only be given as treats. I hope she likes them. Any thoughts?

I don't give any commercial flyer food. If flyers are given fresh veggies, fruit, protein (Meat, eggs, worms, etc) they get all the vitamins & minerals needed. I do sprinkle the basic always available mix with Calcium/phosphorous powder.

slmero wrote:... It has a pellet base and a mixture of nuts (walnuts, pecans, cashews, etc...) and dried fruit (golden raisins, dried apple, etc...). However, I was told by a member of the Squirrel Board that this food is way to high in nuts and to not use it.

Squirrels eat nuts. I've never know of one to overdose on them. LOL The trick is moderation. Just monitor what's being eaten. I don't give raisins just because of the sticky sugar, but have no proof they do any harm.

slmero wrote:... I was just told by another member of The Squirrel Board that Fox Valley 20/50 Squirrel formula is a good source of calcium and other vitamins so I just ordered some of that. However, I'm already supplementing with calcium powder sprinkled on her food so should I stop doing that when i start giving her the fox valley formula? Also, do I still need the formula if she like Henry's Flyer Blocks? I know it's not good to over-supplement.

I forgot how old your flyer is, but I wouldn't give anything with added supplements if giving formula.

slmero wrote:... Now for the fresh stuff... I have decided to feed Bella the following veggies: brussel sprouts, green beans, and romaine lettuce. I will switch that up a bit with kale, chard, and some carrots. For fruits, I have decided to give her clementine segments (which she LOVES) and peeled apple pieces. Finally, as a little protein boost, I've ordered her some live mealworms. Are those ok to give if she's getting supplements form the flyer blocks and/or the formula?

The diet sounds good and you can vary it as she tires of it. If you are giving formula, I'd give no other supplement. Natural foods are preferred over any commercial food.

slmero wrote:... I am being told by many people that nuts should ONLY be given as treats,

As I said, I keep a constant supply of in-shell nuts available and have had no problems in Chuck's 12 years.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:31 pm

Skirkpatrick74 wrote:I know what you mean with how confusing it is to find what works for them...I think the best thing to do is find what works for you and your flyer.

I think this is good advice. Remember, no one is an expert on flying squirrels. Everyone has an opinion and experience based on their flyer(s). Common sense and moderation is the best guide. I do know our flyers are huge compared to wild flyers ... probably because we are too good to them. More of a good thing .. vitamins & minerals ... is not necessarily good as Dr. Cooley has voiced concerns about over supplementation based on the necropsies he has done on our pets.

Skirkpatrick74 wrote:... I had a flyer that got MBD, from lack of calcium and D...I was a newbie, it was so sad, but he got better quick.

This is why we exist, to try and help prevent problems. I aspirated my first pup; so I know what it's like to feel guilty. Helping in a caring way without censor and blame is the best way to help people learn.

Skirkpatrick74 wrote:...I have heard that too many pumpkin seeds are bad for them (gives them diarrhea)

I've never heard this, but I suppose too much of anything can cause diarrhea. I know pear can loosen up stool and is good treatment for constipation.

slmero
Juvie Pup

Postby slmero » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:11 pm

Skirkpatrick74 wrote:I know what you mean with how confusing it is to find what works for them...especially on The Squirrel Board. I think the best thing to do is find what works for you and your flyer. They need vegetables, fruit, water and protein. Protein is found in nuts too, not just mealworms. I don't feed Jack the worms, he likes crickets! As long as they get the calcium and Vitamin D they need (I had a flyer that got MBD, from lack of calcium and D...I was a newbie, it was so sad, but he got better quick!), and they don't eat the stuff that's bad for them (chocolate is a NO), I think they are fine. I have heard that too many pumpkin seeds are bad for them (gives them diarrhea, you just have to figure out what Bella likes and dislikes, and that can change (they are so finicky!)

I give Jack the healthy blocks too (he likes the picky ones better), but he eats the veggies and fruit first, so I cut the blocks in half.

She is a cutie!!

Hi Skirkpatrick! Thank you... I am definitely a proud mama... she is beautiful! And you are right... it's all about what works for Bella and I. Everything in moderation right? I let her acclimate to her surroundings for a few days as suggested by board members so now tonight, I am definitely trying the bathroom thing. I've got my tablet ready for a few hours of bathroom reading. Hopefully we make a little progress tonight. She does love being pat behind the ears and under the chin. I hope she will be a shirtdiver but even if she isn't, I'll love her just the same! :blowkiss:

I'll let you know what happens tonight after I try the bathroom thing. Wish me luck! 8-[
Momma to 3 babygirls:

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:19 pm

I know you will do great, good luck!

slmero
Juvie Pup

Postby slmero » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:27 pm

Joan wrote:I think most bird seed mix is a waste of money as they go for bigger seeds. However, in the wild, they do eat what is put out for birds. I keep in-shell nuts available at all times. Most just get stashed..

I agree with this. Unfortunately, she was given parrot food with fresh oranges by the pet store so I hope I can transition her to fresh veggies, healthy in shell nuts and some out of shell nuts, the occasional sunflower seed, and some mealies. I can only hope that Bella chooses me as a place to stash nuts.

Joan wrote:I don't give any commercial flyer food. If flyers are given fresh veggies, fruit, protein (Meat, eggs, worms, etc) they get all the vitamins & minerals needed. I do sprinkle the basic always available mix with Calcium/phosphorous powder..

I think I might just try the flyer blocks and if Bella likes them, why not give her a couple per week? Of course this is in addition to the fresh stuff. I've been doing a lot of research on them and it seems like people are having good luck with them.

Joan wrote:Squirrels eat nuts. I've never know of one to overdose on them. LOL The trick is moderation. Just monitor what's being eaten. I don't give raisins just because of the sticky sugar, but have no proof they do any harm..

LOL! Does that mean I can give her nuts with a good calcium to phosphate ratio for more than just treats?

Joan wrote:i forgot how old your flyer is, but I wouldn't give anything with added supplements if giving formula..

Bella is supposedly 10 weeks old. At that age, should they still be on formula? And if so, since she is already weaned, will she take it? If she's too old, is it still safe to give to her? A person onk the squirrel board told me that some adult flyers like the fox valley formula to and if they like it, give it to them. Do you know Anything about Fox Valley formula?

Joan wrote:The diet sounds good and you can vary it as she tires of it. If you are giving formula, I'd give no other supplement. Natural foods are preferred over any commercial food..

So you're saying if I end up giving her formula, she doesn't need any other added supplements to her diet? Should I give her either the formula or the blocks?

Joan wrote:As I said, I keep a constant supply of in-shell nuts available and have had no problems in Chuck's 12 years.

I definitely think if your chuck has been doing well eating nuts for 12 years, my Bella will do fine.

One thing I'm kind of freaking out about though... Bella started doing backflips last night and I remember reading on here's that this isn't a good thing. What should I do? Should I be worried? She has a wodent wheel so I'm hoping she'll use it! Also, just to keep you all updated.... Bella and I are in the bathroom right now. She made it easy for me to get her from the cage to the bathroom because she was sleeping in one of her bonding pouches so I just took that downstairs to the bathroom. I got the bathroom all soft and snuggly with fleece blankets and towels. Then I sat on the floor and unzipped her pouch. It took hers minute to get the hint and then this sweet little squirrel a face peeked out and then she walked out, she didn't run or leap and glide... She simply walked to the bottom of my feet and then found a nice spot behind the toilet where I can't see her to hang out, we've been in here about 2 horse now. How long do you recommend being in here? She just came out form behind the toilet. Gotta go,,, wish me luck!!

[-o<
Momma to 3 babygirls:

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:27 pm

slmero wrote:... One thing I'm kind of freaking out about though... Bella started doing backflips last night and I remember reading on here's that this isn't a good thing. What should I do?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8941&p=70271#p70271

slmero wrote:... How long do you recommend being in here? She just came out form behind the toilet. Gotta go,,, wish me luck!!

Just take a book or something to keep you busy and stay however long you want. Keep doing this and she will eventually get curious and come to you. Give her a treat when she does this.

slmero
Juvie Pup

Postby slmero » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:33 pm

Joan wrote:Just take a book or something to keep you busy and stay however long you want. Keep doing this and she will eventually get curious and come to you. Give her a treat when she does this.
I took my tablet in there with me and that was a great idea! But she wont take treats from my hand yet so how do I reward her when she gets curious?

The bathroom was very uncomfortable because it's a TINY bathroom so I going to use the tent method going forward. About the tent method... We set it up last night (it's a nice big one that fits 4 people and I can actually stand straight up in it... i'm 5'3") and filled it with all sorts of stimulating hanging toys for her to perch on, fleecey blankets for her to grip onto, and her favorite snuggly sleeping pouch. But the funny thing is, I couldn't get her into a pouch or my hand to actually get her from her cage and into the tent. Any ideas on how to make this step easier? And also, should I do this every night for a couple weeks? Or a couple times a week for a couple weeks? Or do I need to do this for a month or more? I just have no clue... But I feel like the more I do it, the closer of a bond we'll have so I want to stay consistent with it. So, after trying to get her in a pouch for about a half hour, I gave up and just decided to pat her in her cage for a while and this is where the magic happened. She lets me pat her sometimes while shes in the cage but the majority of the time, she jumps away from my hand. But last night, she was clinging to the side of her cage just hanging out and she let me pat/scratch/and rub her for over a half hour. I was in the most uncomfortable position and didn't want to move or make any noises because if I did, she'd get scared and jump away (the things we do for the animals we love)!:D This patting session was the best one yet because I really felt like she was warming up to me more than she has since I got her. \:D/ I was able to pat her belly, scratch the top of her head and behind her ears, and rub under her chin... It was such a loving experience. All I want is Bella's love and I'll be a happy Squammy! In the picture I attached below, she is sitting on someone's hand so I hope, since she's already used to humans, it won't take her long to get used to me. But I will work with her no matter how long it takes! Because my love for Bella Rose is unconditional and endless... :lover:
Attachments
Bella Rose at the Pet Store .jpg
This is Bella a couple days before I got her... Simple Beautiful!
Bella Rose at the Pet Store .jpg (262.08 KiB) Viewed 5945 times
Momma to 3 babygirls:

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:16 pm

slmero wrote:... We set it up last night (it's a nice big one that fits 4 people and I can actually stand straight up in it... i'm 5'3") and filled it with all sorts of stimulating hanging toys for her to perch on, fleecey blankets for her to grip onto, and her favorite snuggly sleeping pouch.

Strip it bare so she has nothing to interact with but you. You want her sole attention on you during bonding.

slmero wrote:... But the funny thing is, I couldn't get her into a pouch or my hand to actually get her from her cage and into the tent. Any ideas on how to make this step easier?

Try to get her when she already sleeping in her pouch and then dump her out once in the tent. :twisted:

slmero wrote:... And also, should I do this every night for a couple weeks? Or a couple times a week for a couple weeks? Or do I need to do this for a month or more? I just have no clue

I would do it every night until she will jump out of her cage onto to you to play.

slmero wrote:... But last night, she was clinging to the side of her cage just hanging out and she let me pat/scratch/and rub her for over a half hour...This patting session was the best one yet because I really felt like she was warming up to me more than she has since I got her. \:D/ I was able to pat her belly, scratch the top of her head and behind her ears, and rub under her chin...

This is a sign of bonding.

slmero wrote:... the picture I attached below, she is sitting on someone's hand so I hope, since she's already used to humans,

It's good to expose her to as many people as possible, but you will have to teach them how to react with her. When she starts jumping off them onto you, it's because she prefers her squammy. :D

slmero
Juvie Pup

Postby slmero » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:31 pm

Joan, you were so right about stripping the tent bare. I'm in it right now with her and it's been about an hour since we got in and she's already gotten curious and ran up to me; jumped on my laptop screen and just stared at me; hopped around the tent like the cutest thing I've ever seen; and is now clinging to the side looking at me type. I tried giving her a treat when she came up to me but she wouldn't take it. She let me bring it all the way up to her nose so I was touching it with the treat. So since she wouldn't take the treat, I thought I would try rewarding her with a rubbing... AND SHE LET ME! SHE LET ME PAT HER OUTSIDE HER CAGE! She seems like she's less afraid of my movements than she was before too! I think this is definitely progress! I am definitely going to do this every night until she comes to me from her cage. I'm giving her dry blueberries for treats because besides cashews, almonds, and brazil nuts, she doesn't seem to care for pecans. Is that weird? I thought those were her favorite food? She LOVES the dried bluberries though. I give her 2 every night in her cuddle cup bed and when I wake up in the morning they're gone and there is little dark blue bits scattered about the cup. If she likes it, can I use the formula as treats to lick off my finger (if she'll do that)? :D

I also did what you said and took her into the tent when she was still sleeping in her pyramid pouch and it was so much easier!! The problem is, I get home from work around 5:45-6pm and it's just getting dark. What time do flyers usually wake up at night? Does it depend on the flyer?

Anyway, im going to sign off and put a movie on... probably gonna spend another hour or two in here. Thanks so much Joan... as always! :B-fly:
Momma to 3 babygirls:

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:28 pm

slmero wrote:... Joan, you were so right about stripping the tent bare. I'm in it right now with her and it's been about an hour since we got in and she's already gotten curious and ran up to me

They can't stand not checking you out when they have no distractions. :twisted:

slmero wrote:... I tried giving her a treat when she came up to me but she wouldn't take it.

LOL she's trying to jerk you around. :twisted:

slmero wrote:... I thought I would try rewarding her with a rubbing... AND SHE LET ME! SHE LET ME PAT HER OUTSIDE HER CAGE! She seems like she's less afraid of my movements than she was before too! I think this is definitely progress!

This is a strong sign of bonding.

slmero wrote:... she doesn't seem to care for pecans. Is that weird?

Some love 'em, some don't ... it can change tomorrow. :twisted:

slmero wrote:... I also did what you said and took her into the tent when she was still sleeping in her pyramid pouch and it was so much easier!! The problem is, I get home from work around 5:45-6pm and it's just getting dark. What time do flyers usually wake up at night? Does it depend on the flyer?

Yes, it depends on the flyers ... Chuck doesn't get up to 11 or 12 midnight. You can get them up when you want especially pups.

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:52 pm

Try some peanut butter on your finger to get her to get onto your hand (to get her out of the cage and into the tent). It works wonders with me!

And it sounds like she is training you right! :D

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:29 pm

Skirkpatrick74 wrote:...And it sounds like she is training you right! :D

isn't that always the truth? :twisted:
BTW, when I have used up a jar of peanut butter, I put the jar in Chuck's cage and over time he cleans out the remains that you never can get out. :wink:

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:59 pm

Lol that's a great idea Joan! :)

slmero
Juvie Pup

Postby slmero » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:11 pm

So, I just want to say that am making AMAZING progress with Bella!! Since I last wrote, I have been able to hold Bella inside her cage and bring her from her cuddle cup to her sleeping pouch. I did this because I wanted to bring her to work but wasn't able to because I put her in the wrong pouch. Silly squammy... :multi: I petted her first to prepare her and then, very slowly, i scooped her up in my hand and then just held her there. I felt like I was on the moon, I was so happy!! I was holding her in such a way that I was able to pat her at the same time.Then I slowly brought her over to her pyramid sleeping pouch and she climbed right in ('cause she's the best little flyer in the whole wide world)!! Then I realized I had put her in the wrong pouch if I wanted to take her to work. Her sleeping pouch is open and has no closure and until Bella is completely bonded and I can take her in my shirt, I wasn't about to take a chance taking her in her sleeping pouch! I also cannot seem to get her out of her sleeping pouch and into a bonding pouch. If I try to pick her up while she's in her sleeping pouch, which is like her nest, she bites me. :twisted: So I've tried just "dumping" her into a bonding pouch but she holds on with her teeth and won't go. Now, this only happens when she's in her sleeping pouch. She does NOT do this when she's in any other pouch/sack/bed. Is this behavior because she is a female protecting her nest or is it something else? That night when I got home from work, I decided that since I had finished flyer-proofing the spare bedroom, I would let her have room time instead of tent time and see how she did. So, instead of going in to her cage and getting her out, i simply opened the cage doors and was going to let her come out on HER terms, not mine. To get her to come out, I brought a wriggling meal-worm up to her treehouse, where she was peeking out from, to see if she would take it from me since she had yet to take ANYTHING from my hands... AND SHE DID! SHE ATE THE MEAL-WORM!! She slowly brought her mouth over to my fingers and ate that mealie right out of my fingers (I was able to see her teeth for the 1st time at that moment and they are light yellow so she obviously isn't a pup. Which means the pet store lied to me... Which now that I know what I know about brokers, I'm not surprised. Unless their teeth turn yellow at 10 or 11 weeks... Then they didn't lie. :( What age do their teeth turn yellow? Back to the story, so after she ate the mealworm, she didn't come out. :?: Instead, she jumped around her cage a bit and then climbed into her little treehouse which, until yesterday, she hadn't even used yet. So I just closed her cage and let lher be for the night. It was late anyway. When Bella ate from my hand, It was literally one of the awesomest experiences I've ever had. The mealworms just came in yesterday so I wasn't even sure what the best way to feed them to her was (more questions on that in a minute... I digress, LOL) and more importantly, I didn't know if she'd even like them. But she did... she scoffed that nasty little worm down in a split second. Back to my question... What is the best way to feed her mealworms? How many should I give her at night?

The next day, I was able to take her to work because she was in the right pouch for it. !! Although the car ride seemed to scare her a bit, I think she did really good. I kept her in the pouch the whole time because the travel cage came in and the wire spacing is too big. It's 1"x1"... I don't trust it. So I'm returning it and getting the one from atticworx, the day tripper. I'm kinda pissed that I didn't get that one in the first place but I just wanted Bella to have enough room to be comfortable. Now I know she'll be fine in the smaller one. So, once I got to work, she slept almost the entire time though after about 5 hours, she was getting restless so I decided to bring her home on my lunch. I put her in her cage and put the bonding pouch up to her sleeping pouch and she climbed right in (she's such a good girl)!! That night, I again wanted her to have room freedom so I took her treehouse out with her in it and laid it in my lap. I was scratching her little head the whole time and I found her favorite spot to be scratched... right on her brow. It instantly puts her to sleep and is the most adorable thing you've ever seen! So after scratching her head for a bit, i put her treehouse next to me on the bed and when I did that, she decided it was safe enough to peek out which she did a couple time before finally deciding it was safe enough to leave her "treehouse". When she did, she hopped right onto my leg, looked at me, and then glided off the bed onto the floor where she promptly started prancing around the room like the princess she is. It was freaking adorable!! I hung fleece on the window, I hung fleece on the walls, hung a couple toys around the room, and SHE LOVED IT! This was progress considering she didn't even come out of her cage the night before. To make her more comfortable, I put her sleeping pouch on top of her cage so she had somewhere safe to go if she got scared. After prancing a while of exploring, she climbed her cage and played around her pouch for a bit before climbing into her pouch and settling in (I got video of this and posted it on YouTube and have included the link here for you guys to see,http://youtu.be/sjyncIy4gy4, it's freaking awesome)!! I tried to get her to come back out but it seemed like she was done for the night so I let her be. Is that normal? Do you think she was a little overwhelmed and that's why she didn't play more outside her cage? I think I'm going to start a video diary and start posting them on YouTube. I will post that link once I start it.

So today, we got walloped with snow and i didn't go to work which was AWESOME because I got to hang out with Bella here!! I put her in the bonding pouch around 3pm. However, I think I made her mad because when I went in to get her from her cage, she was sleeping in her treehouse thing and I slowly tried to pick her up from it to put her in her pouch and she bit me... Really hard too. :( I felt bad because I woke her up and either scared her, picked her up wrong, or she was just grumpy from being woken Up. But then I was able to just dump her into the pouch and she settled down almost immediately and went to sleep. I put her back in her cage just a few minutes ago to make dinner and when we are done eating, it's playtime! Woo hoo!!!

Onto food... I gave a her smorgasboard of food last night. Her buffet included: sweet potatoes and acorn squash (both peeled); kale, red cabbage, and romaine; green beans and mushrooms; a Henry's Flyer Block; and 6 live mealworms. Then for treats and stuff to chew, I gave her 2 in shell almonds (which she LOVES) and a dried blueberry for a treat. Out of all that, she ate all the mealworms, a few pieces of sweet potato, one piece of acorn squash, half a cashew, a tiny piece of dried papaya, and she nibbled one of the Flyer Blocks (yay)... What a little piglet! I had sprinkled everything with calcium powder too! However, it seems like she doesn't like the leafy veggies when I sprinkle calcium on them. Is that common for flyers to not like the calcium powder? I do have a question about the Fox Valley formula. How much should I give her at night? I don't want to give her a whole serving in case she doesn't like it so what's a good ratio? she doesn't really seem to be interested in the formula though.

I have a Couple more questions: With all I've wrote about Bella lately, does it seem like she's bonding normally? This is my first flyer, as I think I've mentioned before, so I have no idea what is normal and what isn't. It seems to me like we're making good progress but like I said, I don't know. Also, she hasn't seem to want me to pat her too much today even when I had her in the bonding pouch. So it seems like were kind of taking a step backwards from where we were yesterday. :puppydogeyes: Is that normal? I just want to make sure that I am doing everything I can to get her to bond to me.
Momma to 3 babygirls:

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:30 pm

slmero wrote:... What age do their teeth turn yellow?

I can't remember when Chuck's did, but since they are considered adult at 12 weeks, maybe before then. Maybe someone else who's had pups can remember.

slmero wrote:... What is the best way to feed her mealworms? How many should I give her at night?

I buy my mealworms from a bait shop in those small containers. I dump the whole thing in a seed cup attached to the cage: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... catid=5995 They are eaten at will. But, you have to feed the worms too. If you don't want to do it this way, you can refrigerate the worms and take them out every few days and feed them and then put back in the refrigerator,

slmero wrote:... she hopped right onto my leg,

Next time she does this, hold your leg straight up and see if she'll run up to your foot. LOL Chuck use to do this.

slmero wrote:... I tried to get her to come back out but it seemed like she was done for the night so I let her be. Is that normal? Do you think she was a little overwhelmed and that's why she didn't play more outside her cage?

They are active at night but they also take frequent naps off and on.

slmero wrote:... I put her in the bonding pouch around 3pm. However, I think I made her mad because when I went in to get her from her cage, she was sleeping in her treehouse thing and I slowly tried to pick her up from it to put her in her pouch and she bit me... Really hard too. :(

Why not put a bonding pouch in her cage for her to sleep in.

slmero wrote:... it seems like she doesn't like the leafy veggies when I sprinkle calcium on them.

Then don't. :twisted:

slmero wrote:...Is that common for flyers to not like the calcium powder?

Some don't and some don't like it on certain food.

slmero wrote:...I do have a question about the Fox Valley formula. How much should I give her at night? ... she doesn't really seem to be interested in the formula though.

If she's eating well, why give her formula?

slmero wrote:.. does it seem like she's bonding normally?

She seems to be bonding very well.

slmero wrote:... she hasn't seem to want me to pat her too much today even when I had her in the bonding pouch.

How did she say she didn't?

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:49 pm

Jack is about 20 weeks old and his are a dirty white, not orange yet!

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:47 am

So how is Bella doing?

slmero
Juvie Pup

UPDATE ON MISS BELLA ROSE!!

Postby slmero » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:38 pm

Joan wrote:So how is Bella doing?
Hi Joan! Bella is doing AWESOME!! I've been so busy between working full time, raising a flying squirrel, and taking care of my other furbabies that I've barely had time to do anything else (like post on the boards) :multi: . But I'm at work right now with my babygirl in her new backpack bonding pouch that she now LOVES and she is sleeping sound wrapped up in a piece of my fleece robe. So before I start work for the day, I figured that this is the perfect time to post an update.

Bella and I have been making steady progress everyday. She is an absolute joy and has honestly helped me begin to make some healthy changes in my life. I was diagnosed with Type 1, insulin dependent diabetes last year and ever since, my health has steadily declined. Now that I have Bella, I'm actually eating healthy because all she eats is veggies and fruit. I can truly say that my flyer is making me healthy! =D> Now, after having Bella for a few weeks now, I have even more questions... Here they are:

1. Where is the best place to put her water dish in her cage? Should it be up high in the cage or can I put it on the floor of her cage next to her food?

2. Which do flyers like better… Mealworms or Waxworms? The first night, Bella ate 4 mealworms right out of my fingers but now she barely touches them. I'm worried because I read on here somewhere that flyers need protein everyday. Since she has stopped eating mealworms, I tried giving her hard-boiled egg and she seemed to like that. She LOVES her HHB Flyer Blocks which have extra added protein. Should I be less worried since she's getting the extra protein from the blocks? I know flyers are picky and will love a certain food one day and hate it the next.

3. What is the deal with the Zupreem Primate Monkey Biscuits that I hear people talk about on here? Are they actually good for flyers? Flyers are rodents, not primates so it would seem kind of weird if they are good for them.

4. I found that Bella LOVES sweet potatoes and as a result, gave them to her 3 nights in a row. I noticed that since I started giving her sweet potatoes, her poops have been pretty soft and brown. Is this normal/ok or is this bad? Should I only give her sweet potatoes a couple times a week or even less than that. I am still getting to know what she likes and doesn't like.

5. Since the HHB Flyer Blocks have a lot of calcium in them (& protein), should I still supplement with the powder? And with the powder, I've been sprinkling a little on her food every night. Is this ok or should I only add the powder a couple times a week?

6. With the Fox Valley formula, I got the 20/50 type. Is this acceptable for an 11-12 week old squirrel? And do I even need to give formula if she's eating the calcium powdered food in addition to the blocks?

7. Do I need to get a salt-wheel for Bella? She already has a Manu Mineral Block in her cage but hasn't touched it. What nutrients, if any, does the salt wheel provide?

8. Is this food a good staple diet? It's mostly pellets with some dried papaya and nuts. Its from a company called EXOTIC NURTITION.COM. Does anyone have any experience with this food? The Squirrel Board said that nuts and dried fruit should only be given as treats but I wanted some other opinions. Obviously fresh veggies need to be the main food in her diet. There is another food I've heard really good things about and was wondering if this was a better option than the one from Exotic Nutrition? Here is the link: http://brisky.com/exotic-pet-diets/squirrel-diets/BDFS. Also, when giving her veggies at night, should I give a mixture of leafy greens, i.e. collards, spinach, and kale... or should I only give her 1 or 2 types of veggie per night, i.e. a small bowl of spinach, a small bowl of broccoli, and one small piece of fruit? Or should I give her a variety of veggies? Right now, I'm giving her a variety of veggies each night to get a feel for what she likes/dislikes since it's only been a little over 3 weeks since we got her. I have a feeling it could be overwhelming for her to have to many food to choose from but I could be wrong! LOL! :D

9. One time while taking Bella out to play, she came out of her sleeping pouch (which I was holding on to) and nibbled my fingers… not enough to hurt or scare me but I was just wondering if this was a sign of bonding or hunger or anger, LOL! Also, during the day, I take her out while shes in one of her many sleeping pouches and since she doesn't like the bonding pouch that zips shut, I will just hold her in the sleeping pouches that don't close and she loves that (well, she doesn't fight to get out and sleeps sound and lets me pat her while she sleeps so I'm assuming she loves it, LOL :twisted:). Sometimes when I'm patting her in her pouch, she'll very gently bite my finger but it doesn't hurt at ALL. Is this a warning that she doesn't want to be touched or is this an "I'm hungry and your fingers smell like food" kind of thing?

11. The Adult Flyer Diet thread says to keep a steady supply of in-shell nuts in her cage for her teeth but I worry that she is eating too many of them and not eating her veggies. I only give her 1 or 2 in-shell nuts at night as a treat before I put her to bed. And I don't want to stop giving them to her just so she'll eat veggies because then she wont have anything for her teeth (even though there's an elk antler, a mineral block, and apple orchard stick chews for her to gnaw on... she only likes the in-shell nuts. I want to make sure that she is filing her teeth as much as she needs to. If she's only filing her teeth with in-shell nuts, is that enough to keep them at a healthy length? Also, is 1 or 2 in-shell nuts at night enough or too much?

12. I heard Bella vocalize (chirp) for the 1st time a couple nights ago. It was the coolest thing! What are some reasons for this? Happy, Angry, Scared, Hungry, Lonely, etc…

13. What are some good wild foods to give Bella for enrichment and variety? I bought her some dried rosehips, hibiscus flowers, and honeysuckle flowers from a great company called Mountain Rose Herbs (if anyone is interested, all their products are certified organic and never sprayed with chemicals... here is the link: https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/ What about rose buds and petals (not just the rosehips)? And what about hickory and beech nuts? What about maple seeds?

14. If I needed to take Bella to the vet, how could I do that since I still can't just pick her up if I need to? Would I need to wait until she's completely bonded to me to take her to the vet? Or could I just take her in her travel cage and leave it up to the vet to handle her? Just want to be prepared for everything! 8-[

Now here are some of my recent entries in the journal I've been keeping for Bella. I thought it would be a good idea to keep track of her bonding progress, foods she likes/dislikes, and her behavior/health in general.

2/08/14 - SHE CLIMBED ONTO MY HAND FOR THE FIRST TIME LAST NIGHT AND IT WAS AWESOME!!!! But then she promptly peed and pooped on me. Is this normal? I felt so special… LOL!

2/10/14 - I'm not sure what I did different last night or if Bella finally felt really comfortable with me because she used me as her tree THE WHOLE TIME WE WERE IN THE TENT!! She also took a treat from me for the first time last night!! It was a night of triumphs and just about the coolest thing I've EVER experienced.!! I felt like such a proud squammy! And I now know what Joan's term, "Jack Russels on Caffeine", means because Bella was the epitome of that last night! I have the tell-tale little scratch marks all over my shoulders to prove it LOL! She was jumping back and forth from the tent to me all night… jumping on my head, playing in my hair, and then running down to my shoulder to smell me and explore me and then jumping back onto the tent. I can't wait until she actually starts grooming me (at least I hope she grooms me… I could be so lucky)! And one of the coolest things about last night was that I didn't get peed/pooped on when she jumped on me. The weird thing is that ever since she climbed into my hand a few nights ago and used me as a toilet, she has yet to do it again. She will however, jump all over me and use me as her tree. I just hope I'm doing things right! She seemed so happy last night… I haven't seen her act like that since I got her a little over 2 weeks ago and it was so rewarding to see that my consistency and dedication is paying off. If it wasn't for all the advice I've been getting from you Joan and everyone else that has helped me at NFSA, I don't think I'd be writing this post right now. The Squirrel Board has also helped immensely! I was worried because, even though I do take her out every night CONSISTENTLY and basically pull all-nighters with her because I love her so freaking much (its definitely causing some exhaustion seeing as how I have to get up at 5am for work every morning and don't end up getting to bed until 2, 3, or 4am), I haven't been able to take her with me to work much lately because she just HATES being zipped up in a pouch. I feel like I'm missing out on much needed bonding time while she's sleeping during the day. She's fine in a pouch that doesn't close but as soon as I zip her up, she freaks out. She does settle down if I sit down, rub the pouch and talk sweet to her. Then she'll go to sleep but the majority of the time, she's NOT having it. After she flips out for like 5 minutes, I end up letting her out and don't take her with me to work because, #1 I feel horrible that she's stressed and #2 she chewed through the first bonding pouch so I've been scared to put her in another for any length of time. However, I just got a really tough-made, big, double lined bonding pouch from Ebay that has straps so you can wear it as a backpack or frontpack and the ventilation window is very durable, much better than the one she chewed out of. It is an awesome pouch and it's nice because it doesn't swing or move around when you walk since it's strapped to your body like a backpack/frontpack. I will attach a picture of It with a link to where I got it in case anyone else is interested in getting one for their fuzzbutts. I put her in it this morning to see if I could take her to work and even though I took a piece of fleece that she sleeps with from her main nest (her tent/pyramid pouch), she checked it out for a minute or 2 and then as soon as I zipped it up, she freaked! When I put her back in her cage, I put the new backpack pouch, without the straps, in there for her to get used to so it would be easier for me when I want to take her to work in it. And wouldn't you know it… as soon as I clipped it inside her cage, she climbed into it and started burrowing/getting comfy in the piece of fleece I had put in there. By the time I left for work, she was sleeping sound in it… snug as a bug (or squirrel)in a rug. I just love her to pieces!! :love7:

2/16/14 - UPDATE ON ZIPPERED BONDING POUCH… I have been carrying Bella around in her new backpack pouch that she sleeps in in her cage any time I'm at home… And she does GREAT now! Last entry I wrote stated that she HATED being zipped up in a pouch but since I've gradually been keeping her in there for longer periods of time, she's fine with it now! Last night during tent time (which is now "mosquito net" time because I felt like the tent was too big for her & I to bond correctly), BELLA JUMPED TO ME FROM HER CAGE FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!! YAYYY!! It seems like each day we have a little breakthrough and make more and more progress! She is now taking treats from me in and out of her cage on a regular basis! She lets me pat her like crazy all the time… And I haven't gotten bit in weeks. Actually, I can put my fingers right in front of her face, even when they smell like food, and she will very gently nibble on them and that's it. She doesn't bite and the little nibbles are the sweetest thing… not aggressive at all! I didn't know I could love Bella more than I already do but it seems like each day that goes by, I love her more and more! :love10:

2/17/14 - I think Bella is the least picky eating flying squirrel… She has been eating so well lately; eating all her veggies, her boiled egg and mealworms, and she will literally sell her soul for a blueberry (fresh OR dried)! She now lets me carry her around in her new backpack pouch all day… in fact, I have her with me at work right now and she's sound asleep. If things get a little loud and she gets nervous, I simply talk sweet to her and she calms right down. I draped my old robe above her cage (hanging on my fiance's old deer antlers that he had mounted) and attached a sleeping pouch and a really cool toy. Now it's her playground… when I let her out of the mosquito net at the end of the night, she bee lines it for her little "playground" and has an absolute blast up there. In fact, last night, she climbed into one of the pockets on my robe and fell asleep. IT WAS ADORABLE!! I had to wake her up so she would go back into her cage because, as much as I wanted to, I do not leave her out in her room to glide around by herself overnight… Even though the room is flyer proofed, you never know what might happen with a flying squirrel running the show! :evilbat:

So after reading ALL this, LOL, does it sound like Bella is bonding properly? And if not, do you have any suggestions for me to help the bonding process? Now that she's finally used to being in a pouch all day, I will be taking her to work everyday that I can. I've been trying to be consistent with Bella... taking her out EVERY night, toting her around in a pouch EVERY day, feeding her at the same time every night, keeping her cage and pouches as clean as possible, giving her plenty of places to sleep and just hang out in her cage, turning her room into a flying squirrel paradise with fleece on all the walls, toys hanging from the ceiling, and a "playground", as I mentioned above, above her cage to romp around on, etc... She LOVES any kind of in-shell nut (her favorite being hazelnuts, almonds, and brazil nuts... but just recently discovered walnuts and pecans). I am trying to attach some new pics of Miss Bella for all to enjoy but they won't upload for some reason. Will try to upload later. In a couple of the pics, she's grooming herself which is the coolest thing to watch because she takes her tail and I think uses it to clean herself (just like cats who lick their paws and use them as washcloths to clean themselves). Another picture is of Bella hanging out on the wall of fleece, coming down to take a blueberry from me.

WHEW... Hope that wasn't too long for you all! :computer:
Momma to 3 babygirls:

Joan
Site Admin

Re: UPDATE ON MISS BELLA ROSE!!

Postby Joan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:59 am

slmero wrote:... 1. Where is the best place to put her water dish in her cage? Should it be up high in the cage or can I put it on the floor of her cage next to her food?

She'll find it no matter where you put it.

slmero wrote:...2. Which do flyers like better… Mealworms or Waxworms? ?

Depends on the flyer. Waxworms have more fat in them. I gave them to a nursing female otherwise gave mealworms.

slmero wrote:...Should I be less worried since she's getting the extra protein from the blocks? ?

I don't know anything about these blocks, but you can continue to offer her bits of protein

slmero wrote:.... What is the deal with the Zupreem Primate Monkey Biscuits that I hear people talk about on here? Are they actually good for flyers? Flyers are rodents, not primates so it would seem kind of weird if they are good for them.?

Zupreem Biscuits are nutritional good for any mammal, but if you are giving Henry's blocks, I wouldn't give Zupreem too.

slmero wrote:...4. I found that Bella LOVES sweet potatoes and as a result, gave them to her 3 nights in a row. I noticed that since I started giving her sweet potatoes, her poops have been pretty soft and brown. Is this normal/ok or is this bad??

Foods can effect this, but it's OK

slmero wrote:... Should I only give her sweet potatoes a couple times a week or even less than that. ?

I'd do less and check the results on her stool. That way you can figure out how many times a week to give them.

slmero wrote:...5. Since the HHB Flyer Blocks have a lot of calcium in them (& protein), should I still supplement with the powder??

I wouldn't.

slmero wrote:...6. With the Fox Valley formula, I got the 20/50 type. Is this acceptable for an 11-12 week old squirrel? And do I even need to give formula if she's eating the calcium powdered food in addition to the blocks??

No need to give it with all that she's getting

slmero wrote:...7. Do I need to get a salt-wheel for Bella? She already has a Manu Mineral Block in her cage but hasn't touched it. What nutrients, if any, does the salt wheel provide? ?

My flyers never touched a salt wheel either. I haven't had one in Chuck's cage in a decade.

slmero wrote:...8. Is this food a good staple diet? It's mostly pellets with some dried papaya and nuts. Its from a company called EXOTIC NURTITION.COM. Does anyone have any experience with this food? ?

I never use exotic foods of any kind

slmero wrote:...There is another food I've heard really good things about and was wondering if this was a better option than the one from Exotic Nutrition? Here is the link: http://brisky.com/exotic-pet-diets/squirrel-diets/BDFS. ?

Like I said, I never give commercial foods. I think they are a waste of money

slmero wrote:...Also, when giving her veggies at night, should I give a mixture of leafy greens, i.e. collards, spinach, and kale... or should I only give her 1 or 2 types of veggie per night, i.e. a small bowl of spinach, a small bowl of broccoli, and one small piece of fruit? Or should I give her a variety of veggies? ?

A variety is good ... she'll eat what she likes.

slmero wrote:...9. Sometimes when I'm patting her in her pouch, she'll very gently bite my finger but it doesn't hurt at ALL. Is this a warning that she doesn't want to be touched or is this an "I'm hungry and your fingers smell like food" kind of thing? ?

All baby animals explore with their mouths. Mamas and siblings let them know what is too hard. You can let her know if she bites too hard.

slmero wrote:...10. is 1 or 2 in-shell nuts at night enough or too much? ?

No

slmero wrote:...12. I heard Bella vocalize (chirp) for the 1st time a couple nights ago. It was the coolest thing! What are some reasons for this? Happy, Angry, Scared, Hungry, Lonely, etc…?

Flyers will sing for the joy of it. You'll learn what she means over time.

slmero wrote:...13. What are some good wild foods to give Bella for enrichment and variety? What about rose buds and petals (not just the rosehips)? And what about hickory and beech nuts? What about maple seeds??

Flyers love all of these. They know what to eat and what to leave alone.

slmero wrote:...14. If I needed to take Bella to the vet, how could I do that since I still can't just pick her up if I need to? Would I need to wait until she's completely bonded to me to take her to the vet? Or could I just take her in her travel cage and leave it up to the vet to handle her? Just want to be prepared for everything! ?

Vets know how to handle small animals ... just get her there anyway that works. :twisted:

Return to “Bonding with Your FS”