Getting 2 new flyers Need Help!! Male and Female

Sreisig1
Baby Flyer
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Getting 2 new flyers Need Help!! Male and Female

Postby Sreisig1 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:45 pm

I'm going to be receiving 2 new flyers roughly 11 weeks old, one male and one female. I already have 1 male that's about 13 weeks now. He is slowly getting use to me but not bonding. My question is will the new ones I'm getting bond to me or are they too old? Or should I just try breeding them and let them bond to each other and then when the time comes if they have pups just hand feed and bond to the pups so I can have a flyer really close to me? I have a big cage and the middle shelf comes out to allow it to be one cage or I can keep it in and have it be two cages. I have plenty of toys ladders and houses and what not to use.

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Getting 2 new flyers Need Help!! Male and Female

Postby Joan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:41 am

Sreisig1 wrote:... My question is will the new ones I'm getting bond to me or are they too old?

They are not too old, but may require more work and patience.

Sreisig1 wrote:...Or should I just try breeding them and let them bond to each other

What was your purpose for getting them? Having a male and female will not assure you will get pups. Are you going to put all three together? Your ratio is wrong for breeding ... better 2 females to 1 male. Two males will drive your female to pulling her hair out. :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Sreisig1
Baby Flyer

Postby Sreisig1 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:42 pm

I guess have them breed so I can have a really strong bond with a pup. The one I have now is proving to be a pain. I may be able to get two females instead of one of each.

Sreisig1
Baby Flyer

Postby Sreisig1 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:40 pm

So they probably won't breeder is there a chance? Say one of them bonds to me and my fiancé anyway, minus trying to breed, will they get along just loving together in the same cage anyway?

Sreisig1
Baby Flyer

Postby Sreisig1 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:41 pm

I'm going to keep the new male and female in the bottom half of the cage for now and leave butternuts alone in the top half for now and keep them separate.

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Nativeprincess » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:25 pm

Honestly, I think your way better off putting your energy into building a bond with the one you have than trying to breed for pups. It might take a little more time, but then you have a really cool relationship with one flying squirrel rather than trying to take care of 3 older flyers, hoping for a pup that may or may not arrive, and if it does- risk the pup bonding closer to the older flyers than you.

pattis
Juvie Pup

Postby pattis » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:48 pm

I'm curious why you think Butternuts is a pain. Time and patience should do the trick. I got my flyer at 8 months old. So considerably older than yours. He's still shy but he slowly, is getting used to me. I don't grab him up but he will sit on my shoulder and let me pet him for the longest time. Have you tried tucking him in your shirt? This forum has lots of advice for bonding and taming. Joan and Shannon are very knowledgeable and give excellent advice!
Rowdy's friend

Return to “Bonding with Your FS”