Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

2005 SouthEastern NFSA Festival ... Cedar Key, FL

Postby Joan » Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:51 pm

Here's a look at the Cedar Key Festival Schedule:

Friday June 3
5 PM - ? (BYOB)
Social outside Joan's cabin was held and we all picked up our tee-shirts.

DINNER
Was provided by Deb Miller with enough chicken salad, pasta salad, loafs of various breads and carrot cake for that night and throughout the weekend whenever anyone wanted a snack. It was YUMMY! She also kept us supplied with sweet & unsweet iced tea.

Saturday June 4
Continental style breakfast served by our NFSA short order cook, Bill Sorg, and his able assistant and Official NFSA waitress, Sylvia Sorg. Not only were they wonderful in the kitchen, they cleaned it up after cooking! Sylvia passed out a "check off" menu to all of us Fri. night and handed the orders to Bill as he cooked LOL. It was the smoothest operation I've seen for breakfast.

Menu:
Pancakes
Texas French toast
Sausage patties
Bacon
Assorted bagels and cream cheese
OJ

Noon - til (?)
Flyer Festival held at the Meeting Room of the Cedar Key Public Library and included:

1. Silent Auction (this was a money maker for the NFSA ... money goes in the NFSA bank account to help with the National Conference in Texas in June 2006).
2. Business meeting,
3. Swap (used equipment etc. that people could take at no charge)
and
4. Luncheon provided by Mary Jane Little and David Covington: Turkey & Ham Sandwiches, Chips, Cookies, & Bottled Water. We ate like little pigs ... or is that little flyers, no, it was pigs for sure.

Saturday Night
Began with the The Great Cut-Up. Kay Raade send us a box of fur stoles/coats (often mink) that the National Humane Society provides to rehabbers for nesting material for small critters.
Sylvia brought her scissors and directed the dissection of the coats and fur was flyin'. Fortunately, Kay had warned us and we made this an outside event. Kay even packed a bag of nut bits in the box as a threat for our babies and everyone got some.

Dinner
Smoked Turkey (cooked on the spot ala Luau style), Baked Beans, Cole Slaw, Rolls and 'Nanner puddin' provided by Master Chef Charlie Tucker and his lovely bride Anita. The Tuckers also brought each HOF a treat bag for their furballs. Inside was a chunk of dried corn, a pine cone, three types of nesting material for the little guys to redecorate with. Best of all, there were cut up pieces of flyer size sugar cane stalks. Just what our babies needed ... a sugar high. :twisted:

Cabernet and Chardonnay (as well as plastic glasses) provided before and at dinner by Gordon & Jennifer Fenner. What a treat!
BTW, Gordon & Jen's Rocky certainly was the most traveled flyer at the Festival. Rocky has made a number of trips to Oshkosh, WI.
Has visited  Memphis, TN
Washington DC
Fort Washington, PA
New Orleans, LA
Tucson, AZ and Las Vegas, NV
the Berry Islands, 
the Abacos,
Andros, 
Eleuthera and Exumas of the Bahamas
New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, Canada (secreted away as we all know what happened with Sabrina.)

Before, during and after dinner, a continuous showing of the Video donated by Bill Bahlman of wild flyers in his back yard in Minnesota. What a wonderful sight. Those little furball were soaring from REALLY, REALLY tall trees and making right angle turns in midair.
Gordon generously offered to take the VHS tape and put it into DVD format for us.

Flyer Gift Giving
We brought small reasonably priced gifts wrapped up pretty as everyone loves to unwrap a gift! Each person could choose a wrapped gift OR take someone else's unwrapped gift.

The following rules applied (thanks to Laurie):
No hiding your gift so that other may not take it.
No stuffing your gift down your shirt and pretending you are tending to your flyer.
No one will be excused for a restroom break - including your flyer.

Sunday June 5
Breakfast was own our own. A number of us walked to the nearby Cafe and paid for the first meal of the weekend. I spent a whopping $5.00 (including tip) for scrambled eggs, biscuit , grits and coffee. That's the only money I spend for the weekend other than the room at $64/night.

In attendance:
17 HOFs
2 Non-HOFs
2 "kids"
21 Total

States represented: FL, Miss & Tenn

Oldest flyer: Rocky (14/15 in Sept) who owns Gordon & Jennifer
Youngest flyer: Bandit (9 weeks) who owned Kevin & Emma
Last edited by Joan on Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:34 pm, edited 11 times in total.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Anita Rae
NFSA Member

Postby Anita Rae » Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:21 pm

WaaaaHOOOOO!!! We had a great time and we learned sooo much from all the "more experienced HOF's". I got in to a couple of bidding wars at the silent auction. Won some (yay!)...Lost some (grrr!) LOL Joan and Laure did a great job of setting up the weekend. We made some new flyer friends that we hope to see again real soon. Flyer people are GREAT!

Joan
Site Admin

Dick Becomes "Bandit" in Cedar Key

Postby Joan » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:12 pm

Chuck and his baby boy headed out with me for the SE Regional NFSA Conference in Cedar Key. FL. We got there around noon Fri. and settled in awaiting the rest of the HOFs. Emma & Kevin arrived and Chuck's boy joined them for the rest of the weekend before heading to his new home with them in Tenn. this morning.
"Bandit" was thrilled to spend the whole weekend in his squammy's shirt and was not interested in coming out even at night with the whole group around. That lucky boy was happy as a Cedar Key clam. Emma would bring him by to see Chuck and Sat. night, Chuck kissed him goodby through his cage and I swear I heard Chuck say, "I love you son. Be a good boy ... you've got it made. Your new squammy & squaddy will love you even more."
He is a VERY, VERY lucky little little flyer!
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Laurie
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Laurie » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:57 am

HELLO! Oh My Gosh! What a weekend!By the time my family got there, several HOF's were already relaxing waterside and I came around the corner and screamed! I was so happy to see everyone! :multi: I got warm fuzzies for this group of wonderful people. Couples took over each meal and talk about spreads! We had more food, drink and wine than you can shake a flier at! Okay, after much wine and Sylvias frozen margaritas, there was some flier shaking! :oops: Having our meeting, auction and lunch at the library was really great! The auction was so wonderful! I was shocked at how many things we had to bid on! We covered two tables! Joan once again outdid herself on unique and hard to find flier items - thanks Joan! My two sons were enthralled at the whole silent auction process and proceeded to bid on almost everything offered! Some members thought I had secretly instructed my boys to drive up the bids - but really I didn't! :roll: They were even bidding on the things I BROUGHT! I once looked up and saw my oldest hovering over his most coveted items so no one else could bid! I had to say several times, "Tanner, step away from the table!" I don't have our group photo on my digital, I only took 35mm (for our next volume of the NFSA scrapbook), so hopefully Sylvia and Bill can post their's soon. Here are a few of the library photos:

left to right: Seated, Mary Jane Little, Joan talking to Terry Hitt (Cedar Key nature photographer & photograper of Chuck). Standing between and behind Joan and Terry is David Little (Mary Jane's husband).
Seated is Kevin and Emma Woods (Bandit's new HOFs ... no doubt he is residing in Emma's shirt). Emma is looking at Charlie Tucker (who no doubt is thinking about roasting the turkeys that night outside the cabins). Walking away with a prized silent auction item is Bill Sorg (The NFSA's Master short order cook at breakfast that morning).

Anita Tucker (of the fabulous StealthWheel fame .. http://www.sugaraesattic.com/index.htm) no doubt hoping to get a final bid in before one of the Pray boys ups it. LOL)

Laurie Pray at the lectern facing group. No need to identify backs as you'll get face shots soon.

Here is a photo of Mermaids Landing mascot "Wink"! She is a genetic wonder as this kitty has two sets of front feet and only one eye (which didn't slow her down for a second- especially around my two baby poodles!)

I'll have more photos to post as soon as I get my 35mm pics developed and scanned in, I'll drop them off @ WalMart today.

I have to say that anyone sitting on the fence about attending our future weekends, please come! We had such a wonderful time, learned so much and laughed too much! Is that possible?

On a side note.... Joan and I sat down for a couple of hours after getting home last night to discuss our weekend and I have several ideas and suggestions for the Texas National commitee. I was told along time ago that if you host an event that you will repeat to jot down everything you liked and would do differently right after it's over while your mind is fresh. So I'd love to submit my suggestions to the National organizers in a post soon!

Thank you again everyone for making it such a great weekend!
Laurie
Mom to Orphaned Fliers Everywhere

Kay
NFSA Member

Postby Kay » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:04 am

Looking for more pics and names to go with faces. Keep 'em coming. Look at that sweet kitty's toes too.

kay

Emma
NFSA Member

What a fantastic weekend!

Postby Emma » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:20 am

Bandit had a GREAT time in Cedar Key and loved being with everyone, although he was very sad to kiss goodbye his daddy Chuck. He has been promised that he will be able to see him again very soon! His new HOF's already love him to absolute bits and he is a real angel. :angel1: In fact he is in his favorite spot right now as I type this at work (Cedar Key attendees you know where I'm talking about!!). Thank you again to Joan - your love and generosity in all things is always much appreciated. :smt050

We enjoyed this weekend just as much as the last one and probably more as we came back with a real prize. It was nice to see those again that we met in Andalusia last year and to meet some new faces. It is great how lovers of these amazing little creatures formulate a strong bond almost instantaneously! Cedar Key was a nice location for our weekend and we are looking forward to Texas next year.

Anyone for Tennessee for a regional? Fall is particularly beautiful in the Smoky Mountains.... :wink:
Emma

ghfenner
NFSA Member

Postby ghfenner » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:59 pm

Thanks to everyone for a great weekend! A special thanks to those who provided such great food.

Rocky and Zorro add their thanks, telling me "see, Dad, I told you I should have toys and stuff"! (':multi:')
They now have a sand box so we shall see tonight how they react to it.

Mesage to Kevin - we talked about linking NFSA to other squirrel sites. Two that I have used when first rehabbing are www.squirrelworld.com and www.squirrel-rehab.org. The latter does have a "link" to flying squirrels but it is pretty basic though it does include photos and sounds. If anyone is interested, it is www.squirrel-rehab.org/squirrels/photo.html.

Note to Joan - a possibility for future speaker would be Vagn Flyger, Professor at University of Maryland. He is truly an expert in squirrels including flying squirrels. He was most helpful to us on a couple of issues.
Gordon and Jennifer Fenner
Zorro, Pixie and Puck

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:22 pm

[quote="ghfenner"] ... Note to Joan - a possibility for future speaker would be Vagn Flyger, Professor at University of Maryland. He is truly an expert in squirrels including flying squirrels. He was most helpful to us on a couple of issues.

That's great to know Gordon! We were fortunate at the 2004 AL conference to get Thomas Risch, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Wildlife Ecology, Department of Biological Sciences, Arkansas State University, Jonosboro, Arkansas and Mike Winterrowd, PhD., Post Doctoral Fellow, Auburn University, currently a Teaching Fellow in Biology, Department of Natural Sciences, University of Virginia's College at Wise, VA.

I'll pass this on to the 2006 Planning Committee. I just found out today that the The Mammalogy Section of the Florida Museum of Natural History (Gainesville) is doing a phylogenetic study of the Southern Flying Squirrel, Glaucomys volans to be conducted in their new genetic lab. I can't imagine that Dr. Evans (Univ. of FL) didn't know this when I contacted him about suggesting researchers for the Cedar Key conference. I would have loved to learn more about it and how we could help them. Shoot, they were less than an hour away from us! I have contacted the Collection Manager to offer our assistance.

Laurie
Flying Furball

Postby Laurie » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:36 pm

I forgot to mention a special thankxs (in advance) to Gordon for turning our VHS flyer tape into DVD's to keep for future gatherings! :)
Laurie

Kay
NFSA Member

Postby Kay » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:37 pm

Did the fur coats get there??
kay

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:04 pm

[quote="Kay"] ... Did the fur coats get there??

Oh Gosh, Kay yes ... and the flyer treats! Sylvia brought sissors and fur flew. When I checked in, the owner pointed to a large box on the floor with a piece of fur coat hanging out and asked. "What's that all about?" Seems her cat got into the box and fur started popping out. LOL :D
There was one sleeveless "vest" in the box with a light colored collar ... everyone said it must have been Sonny Bono's. :rofl:
See: http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... f0f548b6f9

"Saturday Night
Began with the The Great Cut-Up. Kay Raade send us a box of fur stoles/coats (often mink) that the National Humane Society provides to rehabbers for nesting material for small critters. Sylvia brought her scissors and directed the dissection of the coats and fur was flyin'. Fortunately, Kay had warned us and we made this an outside event. Kay even pack a bag of nut bits in the box as a threat for our babies and everyone got some. "

Beverly
NFSA Member

Postby Beverly » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:33 pm

:multi: Sounds like a wonderful time was had by all! Sure wish I could have gotten down to Florida! Thanks for taking photos, so we HOFs who could not attend could still enjoy!

I think I'm going to have to start thinking about a 2007 NE/Mid-Atlantic NFSA conference - especially if Dr. Flyger would consider doing a lecture. Of course, MD is not a 'flyer friendly' state ... sigh. Gordon, under what circumstances did you have occasion to contact the professor?

I'm thinking that perhaps somewhere in Delaware would work - New Englanders, NY/NJ/PA/MD 'anarchists', Virginians and West (by God ...) Virginians, all would be within about 5 hours of Winterthur, which has a nice property for such a gathering. Hmmmm. Must review our membership list, and see how many are from the NE/Mid Atlantic area ...

Hmmm. 17 or so, with several who have not posted in ages - but who knows, perhaps there would be some interest ...
{D {D {D Lots of Acorns to you, from
Beverly and the Denizens of
The Den Drey at Phantom Farm
What the world needs now are MORE SQUIRRELS! Then there would not be so many NUTS running around loose!

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:43 pm

[quote="Beverly"] ... I think I'm going to have to start thinking about a 2007 NE/Mid-Atlantic NFSA conference

You go girl! :blob8:

Laurie
Flying Furball

Postby Laurie » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:41 am

Here are a few more photos that I've gotten back from developing and from Sylvia and George! Enjoy!

Laurie

Beverly
NFSA Member

Postby Beverly » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:01 am

Love the photos - but we (read that, 'I') need captions! In the group photo, I recognise Joan, Sylvia, Bill and of course, Chuck, but keep having to scroll back to the original photos to tell who is whom ... lol

I have to get my act together, and see if there would be any interest, here in the NE, in a gathering ... I think I'll open a new thread on the subject, and see if any Yankees reply ... lol
{D {D {D Lots of Acorns to you, from

Beverly and the Denizens of

The Den Drey at Phantom Farm

What the world needs now are MORE SQUIRRELS! Then there would not be so many NUTS running around loose!

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:15 am

[quote="Beverly"] ... I have to get my act together, and see if there would be any interest, here in the NE, in a gathering ...

EXCELLENT plan!

I think I'll open a new thread on the subject, and see if any Yankees reply ... lol

Oh, you know Laura will. :D

Laurie
Flying Furball

Postby Laurie » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:28 am

A few more from Sylvia!

Laurie

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:33 am

ghfenner wrote:... Note to Joan - a possibility for future speaker would be Vagn Flyger, Professor at University of Maryland. He is truly an expert in squirrels including flying squirrels. He was most helpful to us on a couple of issues.

Dr. Vagn Flyger, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor
Department of Animal and Avian Sciences
1413 Animal Science Center
College Park MD 20742-2311

Vagn Flyger, 83, died Jan. 9, 2006 at his home in Silver Spring, MD of congestive heart failure.

Return to “NFSA National/ Regional Conferences”