Moderator: Joan

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Cape May Acorn Swap

Postby Joan » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:22 pm

Since it's Fall, how about an acorn swap? I'll be bringing some Florida acorns:
Live Oak:  Acorns are smooth inside and waxy outside.  They mature yearly, and can be gathered in the fall.   Ripe acorns are tan to brown in color. Acorns are an excellent source of protein, carbohydrate, and calcium.  They are perishable, use them within a few days, or freeze them for up to a year.

Laurel Oak: Acorns are generally solitary, commonly subsessile and egg-shaped. The 1/2-inch-long nut is brownish-black, covered by a thin, saucer-shaped cap with reddish-brown pubescent scales. Twigs are slender and deep red. Mature bark is up to 1/2 thick and dark reddish-brown: at first smooth, then becoming divided into deep fissures separated by broad, flat ridges.

Water Oak: Acorns are solitary or occasionally in pairs. The light-brown-to-nearly-black nuts are oval to hemispherical in shape and may be pubescent near the tip. They are about 1/2-inch long with a pubescent, saucer-shaped reddish-brown cup.

I'd love to swap for some of those big yankee acorns and see if my Southern furballs are impressed when I get home. :D

Also, attendee, bring any usable toys/supplies you are your furballs are tired of for a free swap table.
Last edited by Joan on Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Deb
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Deb » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:30 pm

That's a great idea! I will start saving the few giant acorns from my parents 22 year old white oaks. :D
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:38 pm

Heck Deb, you're driving .... you can bring a trunk full. :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:41 pm

Hey, if the fall leaves are pretty enough, we will be making frequent stops through all the states we go trough. I can collect acorns from every state!
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:52 pm

Cool! Be sure to bag them separately with the states names. We'll call it research and apply for a Federal Grant ... our tax money doing something we care about! LOL :twisted:

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:58 pm

That is a cool idea! I will see if we have acorns around campus!
Chris
Proud HOF to Nieve
3-24-06
Thank you always Avalon!

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:15 pm

Excellent! DH will be happy to hear that our gas expenses will be covered by grant money :twisted:

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:28 pm

Maybe ya'll can figure out how to run the car on acorn oil. :twisted:
That outta be worth the gas companies buying the idea and canning it.

marilyn
NFSA Member

Tennessee acorns

Postby marilyn » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:28 pm

I'm sending some east Tennessee acorns to the conference with Deb. I wish I could be there, but my son's football team has a game Friday night. Have fun!
Marilyn
Marilyn & David
Owned by Dixie, Heidi & Houdini
In Loving Memory of Burl

Return to “NFSA National/ Regional Conferences”