2007 NFSA Cape May Conference Report!

Information regarding NFSA member gatherings

Moderator: Joan

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

2007 NFSA Cape May Conference Report!

Postby krups1110 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:49 pm

I got back today from the Conference in Cape May and figured that you guys would like to know a little bit about it. Everyone in attendance had a great time and it was great to meet everyone! Some people were unable to attend, but we had Joan, Anita, Deb and her husband David, Bev and her friend Connie, Colin, Naya, Rick Essner, Ph.D - our guest speaker, and myself. (I hope to God that I am not forgetting anyone. lol) Most people arrived on Friday although some drove in for Saturday events and Anita even flew in on Thursday. Friday night, I didn't get in until midnight so others will have to detail what went on then. Saturday morning, we shared breakfast around 8:00 and just met everyone. We relaxed for a couple hours and talked. Then we moved up to the conference room where Rick, a professor at the Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville who does research involving flyers, gave a presentation on "Locomotion, Morphology, and Habitat Use in the Southern Flying Squirrel." His presentation lasted a couple of hours and was very fascinating. A synopsis of his presentation will be written up and posted after being approved by him. Following the presentation, we shared a little discussion and asked questions and then went to visit the bird expo hosted by the National Audubon, which was just down the road. We spent a few hours there and even got to see a live bird show involving a number of raptors including eagles, hawks, owls, and falcons, as well as a Hornbill. Then, we went back to the conference room where we held the silent auction. We were able to make a good amount of money ($215) for the organization and pretty much everyone got to take home some fun squirrelly stuff! Anita gave everyone some really cool goodie bags and others gave out local acorns. We also gave out awards, which Joan can detail
( http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=52695#52695). Later we moved on to dinner at a nice restaurant, which was very good. Following dinner, the day-trippers headed off and the ones staying over went back to the hotel where we relaxed and talked for a few hours before heading to bed. We met for breakfast the next morning and spent time together before parting ways. I know that I had an amazing weekend and despite travel around 12 hours each way, it was well worth it. It was so great to meet everyone and I am already pumped to hopefully go to the conference in 2008! Others will have pictures and other information to post. Hopefully I haven't forgotten anything. I would definitely recommend coming to future conferences if it is possible for you to do so! You cannot imagine how nice it is to get to meet and spend time with the wonderful people that we have gotten to know and love through the boards!
Chris
Proud HOF to Nieve
3-24-06
Thank you always Avalon!

Beverly
NFSA Member

Photos from the Cape May NFSA 2007 Gathering ...

Postby Beverly » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:08 am

In spite of a rainy start to the weekend, Cape May was great fun with a wonderfully informative lecture from Rick, and an entertaining birding exhibition at the Cape May Convention Hall.

Here's a link to the Webshots album of photos from Saturday's activities:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/56 ... Ph?start=0

I'll be adding more information and captions to the photos, with more details on the meeting, as the week progresses. I'm hoping Deb can give us some information on the transfer of a 'wee bit of wonderment' to a HOF who traveled to Cape May just to collect a flyer. Also, I'll post a list of some of the wonderful items provided to the auction.

We'll all be very interested in Rick's continued research, and published findings. Also, a study of the family DNA dynamics in flying squirrel colonies is in the works, which will help determine just how closely related are such natural groups.
{D {D {D Lots of Acorns to you, from
Beverly and the Denizens of
The Den Drey at Phantom Farm
What the world needs now are MORE SQUIRRELS! Then there would not be so many NUTS running around loose!

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: 2007 NFSA Cape May Conference Report!

Postby Joan » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:11 pm

krups1110 wrote:... We also gave out awards, which Joan can detail.

Beverly and Chris were presented with plaques In Appreciation of their work as co-chairs of the years Conference. Kudos to both of them.

Speaker Rick Essner was given a certificate in honor of becoming an Honorary Life member in the NFSA. We hope to see him on the board from time to time.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Pam
NFSA Member

Postby Pam » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:48 pm

It looks like every one had a great time, the pics are nice. Glad all had a safe trip home, and maybe I will get to come to one in the future ...Pam
Pam, Abbey and Binky ..PeeWee..4 very happy souls

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:15 pm

The pics are great, looks like all had a good time. I hope I can attend the next one.
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

Bejammie
NFSA Member

Postby Bejammie » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:26 pm

After looking at the pics I wish I was there even more!!! Haha... I can't wait till next year!!!!!!
♠ Allison ♠
Squammy to Delilah and Timber
-Always remembering my little wild guy, Sprocket- gliding free in those southern breezes-
-The life of a lamb is no less precious to me than that of a human being.- Ghandi

The Rock's Laura
NFSA Member

Postby The Rock's Laura » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:53 pm

Thanks for posting the pix Bev.....it's good to see the faces that go with the names. :D

Looks like everyone had a nice time in ole Joizee. Still can't believe when the conference came to NJ where I spent my entire life......I just moved to the Southeast.....geesh...my timing.....not good. :(

Well, as Joan Sez.....Rockie is now back to his roots...he is after all a Southern flying squirrel ya'll :)
:love7: I was joyfully owned by
6 1/2 yr old
ROCKIE, a gift in my life.
Rest in Peace my baby boy 9/4/2002 - 5/24/2009

Moonsong
Flying Furball

Postby Moonsong » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:54 pm

OMG! Where did you guys find that t-shirt??? (The "My flyer can kick your glider's butt" one?) Jay and I both want one! hehehe
~*~Reesa~*~
Happy Squammy to Tajar and Baxter

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:04 pm

Moonsong wrote:... Where did you guys find that t-shirt??? (The "My flyer can kick your glider's butt" one?)

Anita. :D
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Anita Rae
NFSA Member

Postby Anita Rae » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:15 pm

Well I am finally getting rested up and caught up so I wanted to drop by and let everyone know what a wonderful time I had. Well, except for the three days of rain and bad hair days. LOL

But seriously, this was a great group to hang out with this weekend. We laughed together and learned together, and that is what it is all about. Renewing old friendships and making new friends. Spending time with people who understand your passion for a squeaky little furball.

So Thanks and Hugs to all of you who made thes trip possable. And for those of you who don't know this, we have two of the most amazing young people in our group. Chris and Naya, it was my pleasure to spend time with both of you. I hope we get to visit again next year.

I have pictures that I am going to put up in the next few days.

Return to “NFSA National/ Regional Conferences”