Information regarding NFSA member gatherings

Moderator: Joan

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Report on Natchez 2008 Conference

Postby Joan » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:38 pm

I'm going to post a few pictures Gail took. :twisted: Anyone who attended feel free to post.

Around the table ... starting front left: Gail "gwsgrand", Joan, Catherine & Tom Risch (our speaker), Deb, Gloyra "gloryaf88", Tom (Gail's husband), "Vickie" & Spence.
Missing is David "DinNorman", who was staying in his camper at a nearby State Park.

View from the hotel

Same View at Dusk

Nearby Home

Some of Tom's slides used during his presentation:

Tom presenting
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Report on Natchez 2008 Conference

Postby Joan » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:41 pm

OK, some more info:

Craft project:
Deb's father (he obviously has a woodworking shop) made some really clever nest boxes out of beautiful wood with roofs made of Mississippi license plates. She had all kinds of paints & brushes, but everyone seemed to be like me ... wanting the wood natural. I'm going to polyurthrane mine.

A number of members brought acorns to swap. There were acorns from the following oak trees: Shumard, Blackjack, Water, Live, Laural, FL Scrub, Turkey and Bluejack. Gail & Tom brought some great small pecans that the flyers can run with.:wink:
(Gail, have Tom check this list and let me know if there were more.)

The silent auction was fun with more goodies than we could carry off. Even our Hotel Contact person, Susan, got into the act and won several items. Vickie was high spender and Spence is probably still trying to figure out why their bank account is low. LOL

Awards: (winners, bear with me as my certificate maker went out of business ... they'll be mailed ASAP.
1. Recognition to Gloyra and Deb for hosting this year's Conference. (They both got framed flyer photos) :wink:
2. Special Recognition to Wanda (CafePress store manager) and Kay (creative design). Both have also worked on the Photo Contest for a number of years.
3. The Joan Barron Award for the Betterment of Flying Squirrels: Judy Call :D

T-shirts got overnighted to the hotel, BUT unfortunately, the Hotel did not take deliveries on Sat. Susan will send them to me and I'll mail them out to the appriopriate people at NFSA expense. The rest of you can order directly off CafePress, if you'd like one.

Presentation:
Tom Risch is going to send me a summary of both his talks and I'll post them here.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Wanda
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Wanda » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:19 pm

WOW Joan I feel honored!! THANK YOU!!
Wanda
:flyer:
Owned by Shelly, Rose
:smt049 Peanut, Bud & Dinky Always In My Heart :smt049
Parrot, Miniature Donkey & 1 human
And All My Lil Orphans

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:22 pm

You deserve it.

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:43 pm

One interesting note that was really funny.

Bet you didn't know that Natchez has a mountain named "The Bluffs"

Well all of us but Deb and Gloyra climed it after dinner Sat. night
You got it I was as some one labled me the "cows tail". LOL I am not a hiker or walker and it will be a long time before I forget that Mountain in Natchez. The group was kind enought almost at the top to stop and "rest up " while I made it to them. Thanks gang. It had to be a 85% up grade. If there is such. It would have been easy to walk down but Vickie and I rode down with Deb and Gloyra and waited looking for the rest of the group. Well guess where they were??? All ready at the resturante looking for us. LOL

Yes we all had a great time and learned some interesting facts.
:queen: Ms. BayBea Belle, :tink: Tinkerbelle,
:fly: Linus, :occasion2: Baby Oops, and :love1: Daphne

Gail's (Deep South Home for Flyer Foundlings )

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:14 am

Oh Wow! I am absolutely floored!We had a storm here today, and the power just came back on, so I have just now seen the announcement. And I still can't believe it! Thank you all so very much - it really means a lot to me. I had not seen any mention of the award this year - nowhere to send in names, and wondered if it was going to be awarded this year. I certainly never imagined it would be me!

I really really hate that we had to cancel at the last minute now. It's good that I stayed home, though, because the dog had a few problems, the grey 's squirrel pox got worse, and Lance got sick Friday! (Yeah, I had a great weekend! :? )

Thank you again, and Joan, get a move on with the certificates! I'm excited!

Judy

DinNorman
NFSA Member

Postby DinNorman » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:22 pm

Whew, I just got home from the conference then on to my brother's in southwest louisiana. Just wanted to thank all involved for making it such a pleasant gathering with some very friendly, enjoyable folks. I really enjoyed the Natchez area. Thanks so much Deb for your organizing it and to Glorya for helping. The conference gift was great, clever, and well made....thank you.
Pearl is busy checking out all her old territory since getting home. I am weary from a 12 hour drive.
Cheers
David

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:38 am

I really enjoyed the conference. This was my first one and I cannot wait until the next one. The nest boxes Deb gave us were just wonderful and since Pistol Pete has had the same nest box since the very beginning, he was very happy to move into this one and make it his new home. All my furballs received something that came from the conference and all loved there gifts. Of course, they have also been enjoying the pecans and acorns.

For those of you who missed the conference, you missed a great lecture and a wonderful time just sitting around talking. Even though Chuck was totally a Squammy's boy, I really think he was glad to be there.

Hope to see everyone next year where ever that might be.
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:52 pm

Joan will have to tell us how Chuck did on the trip home. He was not the social butterfly :B-fly: he usually is in public :twisted: I hope he has a brand new stealth wheel by now :wink: At least he didn't resort to biting when Joan MADE him make an apperance.
I had a very nice time in Natchez, and appriciate all who attended. The flyer-sized pecans Gail and Tom brought are a big hit with my furballs. My Dad is happy that our flyer house design was so well recieved and promises to make more for next conference.
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:06 pm

Deb wrote:Joan will have to tell us how Chuck did on the trip home. He was not the social butterfly :B-fly: he usually is in public :twisted: I hope he has a brand new stealth wheel by now :wink: At least he didn't resort to biting when Joan MADE him make an apperance.

He was HAPPY to be home and back with Mishi. She has been letting him sleep with her for the first time in over a year; so I think he would just as soon stayed home. :twisted:

My Dad is happy that our flyer house design was so well recieved and promises to make more for next conference.

I just bought some polyurathane to paint mine and bring out the natural wood finishes. :D

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:46 pm

Joan wrote:... A number of members brought acorns to swap. There were acorns from the following oak trees: Shumard, Blackjack, Water, Live, Laural, FL Scrub, Turkey and Bluejack. Gail & Tom brought some great small pecans that the flyers can run with.:wink:
(Gail, have Tom check this list and let me know if there were more.)

Tom Savage wrote this note about acorns. He brought a bunch to the Conference in Natchez:

"There are over 2 dozen oak species in our county depending on the soils and location south to north (live oaks in southern edge, northern red and black in parts of the northern edge). About six species are the most common ... of which water and laurel oaks make acorns almost every year. Our land has mostly laurel oaks. Water and laurel are in the red oak family (also southern reds are cherrybark, blackjack, bluejack, pin, black, shumard, willow etc.) and require a cold dormancy (about 1000 hours) before they germinate. Red oaks also take 1 1/2 years from flower to mature acorn. White oaks (white, live, swamp chestnut, post, sand post etc.) don't require cold dormancy. They will germinate immediately if damp, even if cold, say 36-39 degrees.

White oaks take one season spring to fall to grow from flower to mature acorn. Also I have found most (say 2/3) of the laurel and water oak acorns to be free of moth and weevil grubs while the live and sand post acorns to be up to 90% infested with grubs. Of course our guys like the grubs better than the acorns. I leave some acorns in a pan to collect the grubs as they emerge from the acorns.

The nursery guides say not to freeze acorns if you are storing them to plant and grow oak seedlings. One source I saw said store in polyethylene bags 4-6 mil thick in slightly damp sawdust or peat at 33 degrees or so. It said white oaks will still germinate and send a root out at 36-39 degrees, which are what refrigerators are near. This would be storage from fall to the next spring. I haven't found a source that describes long term storage over a year or more that still keeps the acorns viable. I do know if they dry out, get hot too much or get moldy they lose viability. For food for the flyers I don't really know. If you've had good luck with freezing I'd stick with it. We store some in the refrigerator and some in the freezer but normally have too many and don't use the ones in the freezer. Obviously during the winter acorns on the ground or soil surface will be below freezing at times and still germinate later.

This year out local live oaks, post and white oaks had few or no acorns while most of the red oak family trees had fair to large crops. Last year we had a massive crop of all acorns, hickory & pecan nuts, beech nuts and black gum seeds so this year many trees have fewer or no nuts, except the laurel and water oaks which seem to have large crops most years.

Pine seeds, on the other hand, are stored below freezing (-20 F) for nursery use and stay viable for several years. Longleaf pine seeds are one of our guys favorite foods. These germinate immediately (within a few days of hitting the ground) from dew or any rain. Last year there was zero longleaf seed and this year only a small crop. They also eat slash and loblolly seeds which are much smaller and require a cold dormancy to germinate.

I try out a variety of seeds and things for foods. For some reason they won't eat dogwood berries although some birds like them. They like maple and ash seeds, don't seem too interested in magnolia seeds but occasionally chew on some.

Hope this has been of some help to you."

DinNorman
NFSA Member

Postby DinNorman » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:30 pm

Yes, Pearl loves her Mississippi license tag house, but she hates flash pictures. Thanks again Deb.
BTW Pearl will be 1 year old on Christmas day!
David

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:29 pm

I got a wonderful surprise in the mail today. A beautiful limited edition print of the Maslowski photograph of a flyer getting a drink from a pool of water. For those of you that haven't seen it, the flyer is laping the water, sending out some very quiet ripples, and the whole thing is reflected in the water so clearly that it looks like two flyers, nose to nose! It is just amazing! And the best thing about it is that I have all of you at NFSA to thank for it! It was to have been presented to me at the 2008 Conference, along with the certificate for the Joan Barron Award for the Betterment of Flying Squirrels. (I missed going to the conference due to a dog with a severe infection (she ended up having to have surgery), a grey squirrel with squirrel pox, and, at the last minute, a sick husband!) I hated missing the conference in Natchez anyhow, and when I discovered that I had won the award and hadn't been there to receive it I just sat down and cried.

So thank you all very much for the honor of this award - it is something that is very dear to me, and both the certificate and the photograph will be hung with pride on my wall. And every time I see them, it will remind me of the wonderful people here that share my passion for that tiny ball of fluff - the Southern Flying Squirrel.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Judy C.

Joan
Site Admin

Maslowski photograph

Postby Joan » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:04 am

Judy C. wrote:... For those of you that haven't seen it, the flyer is laping the water, sending out some very quiet ripples, and the whole thing is reflected in the water so clearly that it looks like two flyers, nose to nose! It is just amazing!

Here it is:

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:28 am

Isn't that just the most beautiful thing ever? =D> =D> =D>

Judy

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:14 am

It is truly the most amazing wild flyer photo I have ever seen. Congrats Judy. And you were very much missed in Natchez.

Cute shot of Miss Pearl, David. Glad she likes her new house. Mine currently has 3 occupants together in it. And Lord only knows how many nuts :roll:
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

Vickie
NFSA Member

Postby Vickie » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:56 pm

I've been working a lot of overtime since the conference, so I've only logged on in snatches, but I just wanted to say how much Spence and I enjoyed meeting everyone and spending the time with you. It was a great conference! Thanks again, Deb, for the license plate house--I think Jimmy staked it out immediately for his special "clubhouse". He and Barnie are also enjoying all the auction and swap items we came home with. We're already anticipating the next get together!
First Barnie, and now Jimmy--Zing, went the strings of my heart!

Beverly
NFSA Member

Postby Beverly » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:37 am

Greetings to all ....
Deb, the flyer houses are just too cute! Kudos to your Dad for his woodworking talents!
Joan, are copies of the Maslowski photo available for purchase? And, I still have not bought a tee shirt from the 2008 conference ... what's the best way, to order?
Has a report on the 2008 presentation been posted, yet?
So, it's now 2009 ... any thoughts on when and where this year's conference will be held?
{D {D {D Lots of Acorns to you, from
Beverly and the Denizens of
The Den Drey at Phantom Farm
What the world needs now are MORE SQUIRRELS! Then there would not be so many NUTS running around loose!

DinNorman
NFSA Member

Postby DinNorman » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:44 am

Beverly, you can right click on that beautiful picture and then save it to your computer. I did it and then set it as my desktop. I guess you could also stick it on a thumb drive and go get a copy made for yourself, although that would technically be breaking copywright laws. Surely one could purchase a copy and feel better about it.
David

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:55 pm

[quote="Beverly"] ... Joan, are copies of the Maslowski photo available for purchase?
I got it from their studio in Cincinnati: http://www.agpix.com/results.php?agid=M ... g+squirrel

And, I still have not bought a tee shirt from the 2008 conference ... what's the best way, to order?
Check the CafePress store: http://www.cafepress.com/nfsaflyers/3950437

Has a report on the 2008 presentation been posted, yet?
Tom was going to post one. I'll remind him.

So, it's now 2009 ... any thoughts on when and where this year's conference will be held?
No one has volunteered yet.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:57 pm

DinNorman wrote:Beverly, you can right click on that beautiful picture and then save it to your computer. I did it and then set it as my desktop.

I did the same thing David. :wink:

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Fri May 29, 2009 4:19 pm

Saw the award from last years conference,Judy congrats it's beautiful I wish I could go to the conferences but they are so far away from MN make them like have way between the US so I can go lol.
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

Return to “NFSA National/ Regional Conferences”