Not so Friendly Vet in Ala. (Auburn)

gwsgrand
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Not so Friendly Vet in Ala. (Auburn)

Postby gwsgrand » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:43 pm

I had a girl from Fl. to ask for help with a baby pinkie flyer and so I looked on the Vet list for Alabama, Ga. and Fl. and the closest one was Auburn so I gave her the information. Well she called the Vet and they told her they would treat the baby but could not give it back to her. She needed papers on the pinkie.
Well I was so close to taking Mr. Whiskers up there and if he had lived and they would not have given him back to me I think you would have seen world war 10 break out. It is ashame that there is no one that will help people with flyers who are trying to give them a good long and healthy life. I think we need to just take the Auburn Vet off the list. I sure am not going to chance loosing one of mine to the Fish and Game Wild life people when they don't know a thing about these babies.

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:05 am

Is Auburn in a flyer friendly state? The state in which I live is not and my vet is big on wildlife. He has let me know right off the bat a couple different times how he felt about having wild animals in captivity. Well I had to take Shelly for a problem and he asked me how long I had had her and I told him about 7 months. He said "well you can't let her go now since you have had her that long." I thought to my self, he probably would have made (or I should say TRIED) me turn her loose. I told him that she had it a lot better with me than out in the wild. He is a very good vet, specializes in Exotics and agreed to continue to treat my flyers.

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:55 am

Boy your lucky. I do know one vet not to far from me that did help me with some pinkies but they all did not make it and I was so upset . Alabama will not give anyone a permit for flyers right now. I almost lost Ms. BBB back in Mar. but I WON!!!! Now I have to start trying to get the laws changed where flyers are not treated like grays. Wildlife fish and game people don't seem to know that these little guys are not like grays.

stellia
Juvie Pup

Postby stellia » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:15 am

That's what I don't understand about the laws... if flyers have been pets for many many years and even a former president can have a flyer as a pet (I think)- why is it still a law that they can't be pets in some states? Yet other exotics and more dangerous/ damaging animals are allowed no problem. Flyers are no different than rabbits, birds, horses, or anything else that came from the wild at one point of time in its life. I can see the point of not letting people have them as pets because there's probably people who trap them and think they can keep them or sell them and don't know anything about them. But to say you can't have one from a legitimate breeder and provide it with your loving care is ridiculous.

Now I have to start trying to get the laws changed where flyers are not treated like grays. Wildlife fish and game people don't seem to know that these little guys are not like grays.

How are you going about this? I'm interested in changing the laws as well. I just don't know where to start and what to do...
::Stellia::
Proud mommy & HoF to our cuddlebug, Suki.
Loved by our angel, Mika.
"If Love Could Have Saved You You Would Have Lived Forever"
<3

katiedid
NFSA Member

Postby katiedid » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:55 pm

Thanks for posting this information Gail. That certainly is information we need to know.

I am also very glad that you did not loose Ms. BBB. I can't imagine how awful that must have felt...wondering if you were going to have your animal taken from you.

I am all for having animals that are known not to be harmful/dangerous and that are kept as companion animals (such as a flying squirrel or sugar glider). I think it's a bummer that some states won't allow "exotic" animals...and feel lucky that I live in a state that allows them. However, then my stomach turns when I know the very loose laws in Texas...Texas has the highest number of sugar glider mills/breeders in the United States. There is one glider mill close to Dallas, Texas that has upwards to 1000 sugar gliders that they sell in bulk, at auctions and at flea markets. They do the nuetering on the spot with a scalpal and no pain medications whatsoever. The spray down the glider cages with the gliders in them to clean them, they have no where to sleep but the floor of their filthy cage, their food is contaminated with urine and feces and when they no longer produce joeys, they are released in an open field or put in a barn to fend for themselves and since they are not native to the United States they die very quickly because they cannot survive in the wild here.

Sorry to rant, but I think that people should only be allowed to have a pet (any pet...cats & dogs included) if they have a permit and a background check.

The USDA makes me angry too, because they set these "standards" which are an absolute minimum and then they never do follow-up inspections. They'll harrass a tiny unliscensed breeder who just sells joeys from her one mating pair, but they'll let this one guy breed tons of them and not even check up on him?
~Katie~
Kya :queen:, TC :smt050, Van :smt049 & Squirrelly :wings: ~ Southern Flyers
Aesop :jester:, Ambraesia, Pepper & Abby :smt057 ~ Sugar Gliders
In loving memory of my little King boy :king: and Sweet Valor

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Not so Friendly Vet in Ala. (Auburn)

Postby Joan » Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:39 pm

gwsgrand wrote: I think we need to just take the Auburn Vet off the list. I sure am not going to chance loosing one of mine to the Fish and Game Wild life people when they don't know a thing about these babies.

How about if we indicate that you need a permit in AL or flyer can be confiscated? Also, I would contact a rehabber before a vet on pinkies or rescued flyers. They may be directed by the same laws though. Leah, do you know?
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:16 am

Glad your back Joan. We couldn't call you on the boat.LOL They could not have taken Mr. Whiskers since I do have a permit for him but at the time I was not thinking. But I don't for these others. They will not issue any in the state right now. ( Because of Monkey Pox). I like the idea of listing above each state if they need a permit. As for Alabama there are no rehab except that I did talk to one in Mobile(Wild life) but they did not know any thing about Flyers. I can not get a Ala license to be a rehab or breeder of flyers. It would have to be for all critters and I don't want to do that. I am moving to a flyer friendly state. LOL

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:24 am

gwsgrand wrote:... They could not have taken Mr. Whiskers since I do have a permit for him but at the time I was not thinking. But I don't for these others.
Well, hang on to that permit for Mr. Whiskers and use it if you need to in the future for one of your current flyers.

They will not issue any in the state right now. ( Because of Monkey Pox).
Yea, like any of us have ever seen a flyer with monkey pox.

I like the idea of listing above each state if they need a permit.
If anyone knows about other states, let me know.

As for Alabama there are no rehab except that I did talk to one in Mobile(Wild life) but they did not know any thing about Flyers.
We'll have to see if Leah knows of any for you in the future.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Joe
NFSA Member

who to contact for changing the policy on flyers

Postby Joe » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:59 am

Dear HOF's: If you contact the state in which you live, usually the Department of Wildlife. There is a division to petition to legalize the keeping of animals that do not appear on their lists of permitted animals for pets. There are exceptions made in some states too. Some will issue you a rehabilation certificate, some all you need is a hunting lisence! Yes a hunting lisence. To keep some animals if you read the fine print you can be in possesion of up to a certain number of animals or their carcass, and if you read it as I have, you would be able to keep flyers in some statess merely by having a hunting lisence. Something to check as most don't specify that the animal has to be dead. Sorry that this may be upsetting to some. Taking our kids is what gave them an apprectiation for the wild and their contents. I do feel that all animals were wild at one time and what should stop someone from adopting an animal for any reason other than experimental. I won't go there :evil: That really upsets me :( At any rate I hope I haven't made any enemies by revealing my views. That was not the issue. I wnted you to know I was not a trophy hunter. I come from a long line that made their living with guns. I chooseto continue to keep a hunting lisence as they are the ones protecting our wildlife and ask others to consider it too. Check your states hunting lisence and see if you can keep a flyer by just getting a lisence. Maybe just maybe this will help others too.
At any rate do check and ask if there is a way to ask them to add flyers to their list of pet animals. Most will even help you thru the process. It can take up to a yers in some places but be patient, Government red tape always needs to be cut lengthwise. Take aim on your goal and make it happen. sincerely Joe and his faithful sidekick Ginger

Leah
Flying Furball

Postby Leah » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:35 am

That's great advice, Joe - and something I hadn't thought of before. I do believe that some states lump flyers in with grey squirrels and that the issue with possession is that they are considered "game". So, the hunting license just might work in some places - something to look into definitely!

Although I wouldn't be able to shoot an animal (I don't think), I have hunters in my family and it has been thoughtfully explained to me in a way I can accept. My much-loved (and extremely gentle) nephew is an avid deer hunter. He has explained that without hunters, the deer population explodes and huge numbers die slowly and painfully from problems with insufficient food supply and natural habitat. Hunters are all part of the grand equation, and have been since humans entered the picture. I'm sure there are arguments on the other side of this issue, but that explanation makes sense to me. One could certainly argue that we humans are the ones who've deprived them of their natural habitat in the first place and that is absolutely true....but since we have taken it away, what now?

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:22 pm

Our family has an agreement - if the deer don't come into our house and shoot us, we won't go into their 'house' and shoot them! I have no problem with people who hunt....lots of people like the meat. But when all they want is deer antlers and the hide, it becomes obscene. We live in the country, next to a hunting club, and hear a lot of shooting around here. Every year I will see 2 or 3 or more deer carcasses lying beside the road minus antlers and hide. It is heartbreaking, and upsets me very much. My kids were taught that anything they killed, they had to clean and eat. (With the exception of varmits that were raiding our animals.) So, although they sometimes hunt, they are responsible about it. Of course, they were also raised with an understanding of, and love for, animals. It only takes a few blood-thirsty, irresponsible hunters to give hunting a bad name.

I will have to admit that I can not see the sport, or challenge, of building a deer stand, feeding the deer so that they become used to coming there, and then sitting in the stand, watching battery powered TV's, and shooting whatever trusting animal that wanders up. That's not hunting - that's slaughter. One guy even has a motion-activated camera set up so that he can see what comes to eat, and at what times. That way he doesn't have to spend a lot of time in his stand, waiting for the right deer to show up. He just checks his watch, goes down to his stand, and fires away.

When we first moved out here, the first day of hunting season I woke up to the sight of about 15 cars parked in my front yard, while the owners were out hunting. The first time, I left polite notes on their windshield. The second day, the notes were much less polite. The third day, I met them as they drove up, with a shotgun over my shoulder. After that, there weren't as many cars, but it took me about 2 years to convince them that I wasn't running a hunt club, and that if they were going to wander around hunting on my land, then I was going to wander around doing some hunting of my own.

I'd better shut up now, before I make lots of people mad. Anyhow, I don't have any problem with hunting, but some of the hunters don't have the sense God gave a goose!

Judy

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:06 pm

Judy C. wrote:... Every year I will see 2 or 3 or more deer carcasses lying beside the road minus antlers and hide.

I'll never understand this. I met a fellow in PA who had a permit to pick up deer killed by cars. He'd get them dressed and the meat was given to the poor. Seems people who want antlers and hides could do the same.

Moca
Flying Furball

Postby Moca » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:37 pm

[quote="stellia"]That's what I don't understand about the laws... if flyers have been pets for many many years and even a former president can have a flyer as a pet (I think)- why is it still a law that they can't be pets in some states? Yet other exotics and more dangerous/ damaging animals are allowed no problem. Flyers are no different than rabbits, birds, horses, or anything else that came from the wild at one point of time in its life. quote]

I agree here...The laws often make no sense...And flyers have indeed been kept as pets not just by Mr. Roosevelt,but by native Americans long before the whites walked in and took over...
What I'd like to see is state by state work to change the laws,but also to ensure that flyers are not harvested from the wild...Not sure how that could be accomplished....
Protect wildlife,keep ye cat indoors.
www.abcbirds.org
:coffee: Moca

Moca
Flying Furball

Re: who to contact for changing the policy on flyers

Postby Moca » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:58 pm

Joe wrote:Dear HOF's: If you contact the state in which you live, usually the Department of Wildlife. There is a division to petition to legalize the keeping of animals that do not appear on their lists of permitted animals for pets.

I was rootin' around in a couple different state data bases and don't see this....
Protect wildlife,keep ye cat indoors.

www.abcbirds.org

:coffee: Moca

Return to “List of Recommended Flyer Friendy Vets”