Vet here in texas

tosha_m_1981
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Vet here in texas

Postby tosha_m_1981 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:21 am

I have found a vet that is about 15 minutes away from me that treats flying squirrels. he said that he had to go out and buy a book because there was this lady that kept bringing them into him, and he needed to get acquainted with them.....
Tosha

Proudly owned by Libra(F) Taurus(M) Cosmo (M)
Mother to Rebecca and Tara
Jasmine the Cat and Miss Priss the dog In loving Memory of my lil Rascal (momma's baby boy)

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:27 am

Find out what book if you can.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Tracey
Baby Flyer

Postby Tracey » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:17 pm

Can anybody reccomend one here closer to me in Tyler Texas? Our vet checked ours out and his tech had one but he didn't think he knew as much as he should and he told us that. But he helped us as much as he could and really it was more than a lot of others were willing to help us with. He told us the right milk to give them and about keeping them warm etc... He really made us less fearful and think we could actually do this.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:26 am

Sounds like he's a good vet. Most know little about flyers, but those willing to admit it and learn are worth sticking with.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Tracey
Baby Flyer

Postby Tracey » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:07 pm

He is a good vet, just would like some more information. We are pretty sure they are boys LOL or at least that is what he told us. They are too little to tell yet

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:38 pm

[quote="Tracey"]He is a good vet, just would like some more information.

There are no medical texts on flyers. Rodent texts are the closest he'll come.

We are pretty sure they are boys LOL or at least that is what he told us. They are too little to tell yet

Have you looked here: http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=80

DinNorman
NFSA Member

Postby DinNorman » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:48 pm

Joan seems to be right, there are no medical texts addressing flying squirrels, only rodents in general. There are articles describing diseases and parasites of flyers. They seem to have very few infectious diseases. Evidently they harbor typhus which is a rickettsial infection and is related directly or indirectly to their ectoparasites or the ectoparasites excretions.

Good pictures in the illustration referenced too. Females genitalia is just adjacent to the anus; there is a gap before the male genatalia. They are actually very easy to sex.

Tracey
Baby Flyer

Postby Tracey » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:24 am

DinNorman wrote:... They are actually very easy to sex.

LOL words only a flyer mom of some wisdom and seniority can say. I spent this morning before we left chasing them around thier cage with a magnifying glass. We got them before Thanksgiving, they were fully furred, and had thier eyes open they were very small and very helpless, so I am guessing they had not had thier eyes open very long. I thought they might have been about 4 1/2 weeks old. That makes them roughly 3 1/2 to 4 months old. I thought they were a bit older but we sat and counted up the weeks. I remember we felt a bit more comfortable leaving them at home while gone thanksgiving day because we knew they would be ok for 4 to 5 hours. They had fruit and some kibble and water and a warm bed. They WERE our excuse to leave early though.
Thanks for the link and I will be looking again when they are calmer and no one is home to see me looking at the squirrel hineys but the cat.

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:59 am

If they are males you should be able to really tell by now. Drago is five months old and has already showed his fluffies. I have had to give him my favorite stuffed animal to save my arm. He is like his grandpa Chuck and is very easy to tell he is male. :oops:
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:25 am

When they are furless pups, I have absolutely no problem sexing them. LOL When they are fured and up to 6 weeks, I have to get a second opinion sometimes. :roll: A number of times Tom asked me to "double check" his guess. We have a good record so far, but I refuse to use Judy's ruler method. :oops:

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:23 am

:twisted: You're just jealous 'cause you didn't think of it first!!!!!!

(I blame it all on Chris - if he hadn't taken so long to decide whether he had a boy or a girl, I wouldn't have had to resort to such drastic 'measures'. )

Judy

Return to “List of Recommended Flyer Friendy Vets”