Congratulations to our recent HOF graduates

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Congratulations to our recent HOF graduates

Postby Joan » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:29 am

Congratulations to our recent HOF graduates (and those soon to graduate) from High School. Leaving High School and going out into the BIG world. Post here and let us know your plans ... those going on to college, which school and your major. Those going to work, where. Also how you are arranging your furball's care?
Those who have decided to be beach bums and follow the waves, call when you get to Florida and see if the spare bedroom is free. :D
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

tosha_m_1981
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby tosha_m_1981 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:46 am

Hey Joan, I graduated like 7 years ago, but i have always wanted to be a beach bum!!! so do you think that Chuck and Mishi would mind if Libra and Taurus came to visit for awhile?!?!?! :twisted:

Congratulations to everyone who graduated, I know how excited you must be!!!!
Tosha

Proudly owned by Libra(F) Taurus(M) Cosmo (M)
Mother to Rebecca and Tara
Jasmine the Cat and Miss Priss the dog In loving Memory of my lil Rascal (momma's baby boy)

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:12 pm

tosha_m_1981 wrote:Hey Joan, I graduated like 7 years ago, but i have always wanted to be a beach bum!!! so do you think that Chuck and Mishi would mind if Libra and Taurus came to visit for

I know Chuck & Mishi don't mind, but priority goes to new graduates. LOL :D
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Vickie
NFSA Member

Postby Vickie » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:02 pm

Congratulations, grads!
First Barnie, and now Jimmy--Zing, went the strings of my heart!

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:37 pm

Joan I call that room for around august of next year! Me and Naya will come down and bunk with ya!

Anyways, Congrats to the graduates! I attended my school grad rehearsal today and almost started to cry...I am such a sap!!!!!
Owned by
Madamoiselle Artemis Isobella D'Antionette
Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:24 am

Thanks so much guys! I will be a freshmen at Connecticut College next year. It is a school costing $49,000 a year and I got $43,000 in need based scholarships from the school and federal. And tonight we had out senior awards night and I got a scholarship for $4,000 a year so almost everything is covered. I am ECSTATIC!!! The plan is a biology and environmental studies double major. And the school has 4 certifications that you can get, which are kind of like an honors program that is more like another major and I am planning on doing the Center for International Studies and Liberal Arts. Leaving Conn, I will be fluent in French and will have done an international internship the summer after my junior year in a french speaking country. (I am planning on working with a conservation group in Madagascar.) I also plan to study a semester away most likely in Australia. And then on to graduate studies. Probably a Ph.D. Shooting for Harvard or Yale, but we'll see. It will be a lot of work, but it is possible. :D

Joan, I would love to come visit one day, but I am going to try and get internships each summer. But we have to see how that goes.

About Nieve - I would like to take her if I can. Freshmen year you have to live in at least a double. Sophmore year, almost all have a single and junior and senior year, you are guaranteed a single. My family will care for Nieve if it is necessary, but if I am to get a roommate who is nice, who doesn't mind having Nieve with us, and whom I can trust completely, then I will bring her.
Chris
Proud HOF to Nieve
3-24-06
Thank you always Avalon!

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:57 pm

Congrats Chris. Sounds like everyone knows what to do for themselves it's great to hear. btw WOW on your majors both very hard majors, I should know I took environmental for my high school major w. Naya...it was great fun though. Good luck w. your room mate issue, but once s/he meets a FS, unless s/he has allergies...well what's not to love?
Owned by

Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

meganaileen
Flying Furball

Re: Congratulations to our recent HOF graduates

Postby meganaileen » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:23 pm

Joan wrote: Congratulations to our recent HOF graduates (and those soon to graduate) from High School. Leaving High School and going out into the BIG world. Post here and let us know your plans ... those going on to college, which school and your major. Those going to work, where. Also how you are arranging your furball's care?
Those who have decided to be beach bums and follow the waves, call when you get to Florida and see if the spare bedroom is free. :D

aww, i did the beach bum thing in florida for two whole years (well....i was technically at school...haha) but i didn't have gizmo yet so i didn't know you! does that mean i don't get to come visit? :oops: lol
HOF to my little Gizmo Girl

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:44 pm

Thanks Helen. Just so you know, the roommate will be a he since I am a guy :)
Chris

Proud HOF to Nieve

3-24-06

Thank you always Avalon!

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:20 pm

Just thought I'd add in an update. I finally heard from Cornell (where I was waitlisted) 2 days ago. Turns out that they didn't go to the waitlist at all this year, but they did offer me guaranteed transfer admission for fall 08. I'm figuring that I am going to fall in love with my school and since it is pretty much on the same level, I will probably end up staying, but it is a nice option to have in case things didn't work out.
Chris

Proud HOF to Nieve

3-24-06

Thank you always Avalon!

Naya
Flying Furball

Postby Naya » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:34 pm

Oh I'm late, but congrads to all you grads! It'll be my and Helen's turn next year so watch out!

Chris I'd totally take that Cornell offer but then again I don't really know much about Connecticut.

Lucky guy, I wish I was smart enough to get into Cornell...but then again I'm gonna do my bestest during my undergraduates and hopefully transfer into a really great college with a pre-vet/vet major :D

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:11 pm

krups1110 wrote:Just thought I'd add in an update. I finally heard from Cornell (where I was waitlisted) 2 days ago. Turns out that they didn't go to the waitlist at all this year, but they did offer me guaranteed transfer admission for fall 08. I'm figuring that I am going to fall in love with my school and since it is pretty much on the same level, I will probably end up staying, but it is a nice option to have in case things didn't work out.

I'm glad everything worked out for you!! Lots of good luck man!
Owned by

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:25 am

Thanks guys! Naya, just do your best and if you guys have any college app questions, I'd be happy to help! It is much easier to transfer into a good school than to be accepted originally. Try and get into the best school that you can and work hard there. Cornell has the best vet school in the country and it helps to live in NY (there is a reduced tuition for NYers at the school) I wouldn't bother trying to go to Cornell for undergrad if you plan to go there for grad school because its more competitive to get in from there (since all prevets at cornell apply there for grad school, but cornell only takes a cetain number of their own students), but keep it in mind for grad school. Vet school, as you probably know, is harder to get into than med school, law school, or any other professional or graduate school. That is because there are only twenty something schools in the entire country. I believe average undergrad gpa is above a 3.6. You will have to work hard, but it is definitely doable.
Chris

Proud HOF to Nieve

3-24-06

Thank you always Avalon!

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:37 am

Well that is true for most schools but there are some schools that only accept like 3-4 students grad year...good example cooper union. So i think that if you want to do that you should look into it first Naya. I know that there are like atleast 3-4 vet schools out there like that.
Owned by

Naya
Flying Furball

Postby Naya » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:41 pm

Chris, I'll be spamming up your emails in a month or two with college app. questions :D I've been doing a lot of research on Cornell's vet school and my chances are pretty low considering that I don't have the grades to get into any well known undergraduate colleges. I was thinking of attending D'Youville for their pre-vet major but then again I still have no clue how college works. Either way, I can't imagine being something other than a veterinarian so I'll be working hard. Any suggestions on which colleges I might be able to get into with a...very low GPA?

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:56 pm

There are thousands of schools throughout the country and it an be so hard to find the right one. The overall average acceptance rate for this country is over 75% so in general most schools are not too hard to get into. You should be able to find a decent school that you can get into. Your best bet is to find a pretty good school that you can go to for a year or two and work your butt off and transfer to a much better school and work your butt off there to until you graduate and hopefully get into Cornell or another good vet school. Tufts and UPenn also have excellent vet schools and are in the area so to speak. I have heard that Mercy College has had high acceptance rates of pre-vet students getting into vet schools, but you will have to look into it. I also believe that it is easy to get into. If you are having a lot of trouble, you may want to go to a community college for a year or two. It is cheaper, you can probably stay at home, and you will have the best opportunity to get high grades and transfer. If you are lucky, there are some schools that offer guaranteed transfer from one school to another. Cornell, for example, has a guaranteed transfer program with some of the SUNYs including a few community colleges. I'll see if I can find that page. If you have your heart set on their for grad school, you'll have to consider whether or not it is the right choice to go there for undergrad school, but if you go there for undergrad, you may have a better chance at getting into other good vet schools. Here's that page for Cornell's agreements with SUNYs: http://www.cals.cornell.edu/cals/prospe ... ements.cfm

It is possible that other prestigious schools have similar agreements with more accessible schools as well. Cornell has the unique opportunity most probably because it is affiliated with the NYS university system because of the financial support that the school receives from the state. Other schools may have programs for that or other reasons. My schools engineering program for example is linked with one at dartmouth and one at washington u and students completing that major finish up at either of the two schools. And not to say that Conn is in anyway easy to get into, but it is easier than either of the others so it is a good example. There are lots of options to explore. If I find out any other info or schools, I'll let you know! Naya, do you know of any schools that you are planning to apply to?

Helen, do you have any plans?
Chris

Proud HOF to Nieve

3-24-06

Thank you always Avalon!

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:18 pm

Chris I don't know what I want to do with my life yet. Vet school is kinda wedged in there...but kinda not. Depends on how my application with the Vet's place goes.

I was actually going to major in Psychology/Psychiatry and then minor in like english. But if I take Pschyatry then I also have to worry about the medical component. I don't really have plans, I'm doing a lot of thinking this summer. I know I have to do good undergrad year because of all the problems I've had in the last few years. But I'm hoping for a good grad school and then I'll keep going from there I suppose.
Owned by

Naya
Flying Furball

Postby Naya » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:56 pm

Woah Chris that was a lot of information! Thanks! I've looked at a number of colleges with pre-vet programs but they were only offered as graduate majors instead of undergraduates. I was intrested in D'Youville but it didnt look that great. At this point I'm thinking about getting into a SUNY for my undergraduates with my "Brooklyn Tech" name and then working my butt off there to transfer to Cornell. I looked at Cummings and UPenn and being ivy league schools, I'm definitely going to add them to my applications list. Thanks Chris!

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:39 pm

Cummings is where? Tufts? Tufts is super tough to get into, but they are weird. It never hurts to try, though, but my friend who has sats in the 1500's/1600 and a gpa in the 97's was waitlisted there. He was waitlisted at MIT, too, and MIT is a considerably more selective school. I am sure kids got in who didn't have as strong credentials, though. But you guys are right. You just have to do your best and transfer if you can. Naya, the SUNY idea is a good one. Just look at the list. Worst case scenario, you could go to one of those guaranteed transfer community colleges. But, remember, it will be harder to get into Cornell's vet school from Cornell. That is what I have been told. You may have a better shot at UPenn or Tufts, but something to remember is in general vet schools only admit very small percentages of out of state students. It is kind of odd, but they really admit almost exclusively students from in state so if you are in a state that doesn't have one, you are most likely SOL. That being said, your best bet would be Cornell for vet school so keep it all in mind when you make your decision.
Chris

Proud HOF to Nieve

3-24-06

Thank you always Avalon!

Return to “Kudos”