Advice needed please

Questions about the forum, comments, suggestions... and pretty much anything else, including other pets and interests.
yubman
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Advice needed please

Postby yubman » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:46 pm

All,

My wife and I are at a cross roads with our dwarf hamster Bitey:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/yubman/al ... /my_photos

He's almost two and a half years old and had surgury this last summer to remove a large lump from his right side. He pulled through, but it took alot out of him. Let me tell you giving medication to an angry hamster is no small feat (no pun intended).

Unfortunatly, the lump has returned :( We had so wanted and hoped that it was just scar tissue, but it's definatly back. We don't want him to suffer, and putting him though another sugery would be hard for everyone. But he's still so full of life, other than being a heavy sleeper, he still is as spunky and active as the day we brought him home, that putting him to sleep seems like cutting his life shorter than it could be.

What would you do? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

tony

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:55 pm

Tony, as long as he is spunky and active, I wouldn't do anything. When he starts to lose weight is the time to do something.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

yubman
Flying Furball

Postby yubman » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:00 pm

Thanks for the advice Joan and Darra. My wife and I have been watching Bitey closely for the last week, and the lump has grown back at an alarming rate.

We scheduled an appointment with the vet this evening after work and the prognosis was grim. Either we could elect for another surgery though with the aggressiveness of the growth we would be back in the same boat in a few months or we could euthanize him. The vet noted that there was a chance that the growth could start giving Bitey pain or become ulcerated (break the skin) making his last days miserable.

It was with a very heavy heart that we chose to put our smallest family member to sleep. We felt that it was best that he went before he was in pain or risk another surgery that would only buy him at best another month or two.

I'd always had small rodents growing up (hamsters, guinea pigs) and when they would pass it would be so very hard to accept. My last guinea pig (Noid) passed more than 16 years ago, and I'm surprised to find that it is not easier to handle now that I've grown older. I cried when I carried his small body from the vet.

The short life span of most rodents is what primarily led me to adopting first Beacon, then our second flyer Bexley. From there we added Bitey during the summer of 2004. He was a pet store return, and we felt he needed a second chance, despite being a foul tempered hamster, he was full of personality and we loved him greatly and provided for his every need.

Our beloved hamster Bitey will join past furry family members in our small pet cemetery tomorrow.

Rest in peace Bitey, you are sorely missed.

tony

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:15 pm

[quote="yubman"]... It was with a very heavy heart that we chose to put our smallest family member to sleep. We felt that it was best that he went before he was in pain or risk another surgery that would only buy him at best another month or two.

I think you did the right thing Tony.

... I'm surprised to find that it is not easier to handle now that I've grown older. I cried when I carried his small body from the vet.

That's because you are a kind man and take the risk to love. It's sad to lose a furry friend.

Rest in peace Bitey, you are sorely missed.
And he is happily waiting with many friends over the Rainbow Bridge.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:18 pm

So Sorry about your hamster. You did the right thing.

Mary

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:28 am

I am sorry that you had to give up your hamster, but it was the right thing. It is better for him to not have to suffer.
Chris
Proud HOF to Nieve
3-24-06
Thank you always Avalon!

Return to “All the rest”