Hamster w. scratching...

Questions about the forum, comments, suggestions... and pretty much anything else, including other pets and interests.
Helen
Teen HOF
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Hamster w. scratching...

Postby Helen » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:06 pm

I don't know what's wrong with Niagra but ever since he met with Isobella he has become very scratchy. He keeps scratching himself with his hind legs and it's starting to really worry me. I mean What if Isobella tranferred something to him? He's only a 3-4 week baby and he might be molting but when I used to have hamsters I rarely if ever saw them scratch themselves like this or this hard! honestly it lookslike something is irritating him and then when he's done scratching he'lll stick his entire foot in his mouth ans suck/chew on it...which is sooo cute but at the sametime worrisome. I asked the pet store guy about it and it seems like all the hamsters there are doing it too..maybe it was something in the pet store???
Owned by
Madamoiselle Artemis Isobella D'Antionette
Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

Lora
NFSA Member

Hamster with scratching

Postby Lora » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:20 pm

What kind of bedding do you have him on? He might just be nervous. Also, he has to be at least 8-10 wks old cause Pet Smart doesn't sell them under 6-8 wks of age. I wanted an 8 wk old hamster & they told me it was pretty much impossible because they get them in at that age & then hold them in the back for a week or two to make sure they're healthy before putting them out on the floor. I'm not sure what the law is regarding small animals but I know in the state of Florida you can't sell a dog or cat prior to 8 weeks of age. It may be different with the dwarfs as they are ready to go by 4-5 weeks but certainly not 3. One of the Pet Smart Reps I talked to said the mortality rate is lower if the hamster's a little older as they stress easy. I haven't seen a really young hamster in a pet store in years. You used to see them all the time.

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:50 pm

Well I got him at Petland Discount and they had a lot of the babies in one cage. I'm not sure of the age requirement either. Like I said I walked by and happen to catch this little guy sailing through the air. When I went into the back room to see a sample cage I noticed that there had to be atleast like 5-8 adults in one cage. There were about 3 babies about the same age as Niagra and about like 15-25 baby babies, as in ones that have recently been born (according the the sales rep two or three of their females had babies 2 days prior to when I walked in) Keep in mind these animals were all in the same cage, I got pretty upset and asked the sales rep about it and she told me that these were all the mothers and the pups that they had put together that the 3 3 week babies were spoken for. And that it was more of a maternity ward. I didn't really believe her but it made a lot of sense the way she explained it. I am never going back there again.

Acutally that makes me think, If Niagra was 3 - 3 and a half weeks old when I got him then he must have been sold around 2 1/2 - 3 weeks of age, that makes me very worried an sad. Also i realized that he's a very squinty baby, when he wakes up he never opens his eyes widely, I believe I might have to put him back on formula, the more I add up the ages the less it makes sense. Is esbilac ok for him?

I use aspen for the bedding, That was what the store had in the cage. And he didn't start scratching until around the time he met with Isobella...still I am awful worrie about him right now, He's even begun to bite. He was so sweet and now he'sbiting me I thnk something's wrong...
Owned by

Madamoiselle Artemis Isobella D'Antionette

Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

yubman
Flying Furball

Postby yubman » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:13 am

It could be mites. A vet visit may be inorder.

tony

yubman
Flying Furball

Postby yubman » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:38 pm

Oh, I also forgot, I believe hamsters have a scent gland on thier backs, and after they met, the male one may feel compelled to try and mark his territory.

If I remember correctly, they scratch thier glands to get the scent onto thier feet and then walk about to trasfer it.

tony

Return to “All the rest”