Flying Squirrel Tattoo

Questions about the forum, comments, suggestions... and pretty much anything else, including other pets and interests.
Guardian
Teen HOF
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Flying Squirrel Tattoo

Postby Guardian » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:20 pm

So. Guardian is going to get a tattoo.

Yes. I know all the health risks, I'm getting a tattoo at the place where my brothers, sister in law, and everyone from my family always gets tattoos.

I'm thinking about a flying squirrel up on the front of my shoulder (ouchies, painful), that has real wings unfolded or folded behind it. I'll probably use the picture of Jack sitting and eating a grape. It's not going to be a large tattoo, I was just wondering if anyone had any pointers or ideas for the 'wings' part.

It's not going to be angel wings, and I don't really want wings at all, more like line work or 'imaginary' wings, I don't know if that makes any sense to you. So any ideas?

Ohs. And do we have any flying squirrel 'artists' here?
Rest in Peace Gypsy, I wish you were still with us.
Smudge, have fun in cat heaven.

HOF to: Hijack

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:45 pm

i would research a good portrait tattoo artist. with a good enough picture, they should be able to replicate it. i think it would look awesome in black and white, shaded well. i'm not sure what you're thinking about in terms of wings... just not colored in? they could definitely do outlines if you ask them.
good luck. i thought about getting a tattoo for batman, but i don't know what i would get and where.
and p.s. tattoos don't really hurt!
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

Kay
NFSA Member

Postby Kay » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:51 pm

See if you can get to this site: It's the NFSA page in Cafe Press. It should open in the 2008 Calendar which has a pic of Laddie in wings. http://www.cafepress.com/nfsaflyers.183771352

Go to the pages and look at February for wing ideas. Or did you mean regular flyer "wings?" Have someone photoshop the wings you want on a pic of Jack.
kay

Guardian
Teen HOF

Postby Guardian » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:58 pm

Hm. I was thinking more of a black and white, shaded sort of tattoo with those sort of wings (thanks Kay), but more like crow wings. Just because I like crows.

Perhaps I'll just print out a picture of him and draw wings on him myself. That might work.

Ohs. And I could view the page, Kay. It was very helpful. :)

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:01 am

Who is it that had the flyer tatoo on her foot? It was that pretty northwest primitive design.
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

Tamis
Flying Furball

Postby Tamis » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:35 pm

I love the idea of having wings on him. Look into the art of Brian Froud. He is an amazing faerie artist. His style is very wispy. I have a full back tattoo and wings on my back in his art style. I had mine drawn by an artist in Kennewick WA at Monarch tattoo. His name is Jerett and he is really good at shading.
this is a pic from my wedding. So far i only have outlines. I do plan on getting it filled in someday.
Brian froud website
http://www.worldoffroud.com/index.html
Good Luck and be sure to post pics when your done !! [/img]

haha wrong pic.. lol that is form faerieworlds festival....
here is wedding
We doctored them up here with eyeshadow and glitter...

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:33 am

Katie has a Tribal flyer on her foot:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:40 pm

Please be careful with tting any tattoo. My neice notified me last night that her new one is infected and she personally made sure that new needles were used and every precaution was taken when she got it. It is only the blues and purples that she is having trouble with, the ligt colors are fine......Whatever you get, do be careful.
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

Guardian
Teen HOF

Postby Guardian » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:37 pm

Oooh! I love those wings, they look awesome. I plan to get a dragon done on my back later on but I want to start with something small to see how my skin and body takes to the tattoo first.

Brian Froud is an amazing artist. I like his style.

The tribal tattoo is so cute! Not exactly what I would get but I like that style too. So many decisions. Grawrgh. Lol

Lucky Boys Tatoos is a clean place, and none of my relatives have gotten infected from getting their tattoos there so I think I'll be fine.

RaVeRiNaBuBbLe
Flying Furball

Postby RaVeRiNaBuBbLe » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:48 pm

the infection could actually be an allergic reaction to the ink used. every ink brand is different and that kind of thing happens sometimes. I've never had a reaction, but my father-in-law went to his usual artist, and they had changed the ink brands they were using and the ink all seeped out, he was horribly swollen, his eye even swelled shut even though the tat was on his arm.(though I think he may have touched the tat then touched his eye)
anyway, she should seek medical treatment and definitely notify the shop that did the work.

that's really a risk you don't ha ve control over. can't wait to get my flyer tattoo, and really can't wait to see yours when its done!
~Michele~

In Loving Memory of Mr. Pecan Oglethorpe (P.O.) and Molly MoMo. Momma will miss you, Babies.

cappy
NFSA Member

Postby cappy » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:11 am

i got one..look to left. better pictures of it on wifes webshots--dottieco
i will miss you compass....you were a tough boat girl..enjoy the rainbow bridge.
matt&charlotte-owned by:rocky,cappy,
mermaid&lorelie

Guardian
Teen HOF

Re: Flying Squirrel Tattoo

Postby Guardian » Thu May 28, 2009 4:41 pm

Update:

2 years later and I finally got a squirrel tattoo.

Jack is now on my ankle, with devil like ears and is eating a heart.

I will post the picture of it when the tattoo is fully finished, TJ didn't get to the tail today so it'll be a week or so.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu May 28, 2009 4:45 pm

Can't wait to see it.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

malerris21
Juvie Pup

Postby malerris21 » Fri May 29, 2009 12:00 pm

Love that tribal flyer!! And, of course, those wings are amazing.
I just want to say, as a very tattooed person (two major - whole lower leg, whole upper arm - and one small) that of course there are some risks involved with tattooing. These can, for the most part, be avoided by going to a professional and doing some research - just like with owning a flier. There are certain inks which can cause reactions, as was mentioned in a previous post. Mostly reds, as they are made with cinnibar - any decent artist knows what's in her or his inks. Clean, sterile needles are key, but don't forget the rest of the equipment. Single use caps for the ink, clean workspace, etc. are all just as important. Look at the portfolios (any respectable artist has one right there for the asking) talk with the artist, and above all, use common sense!
Sorry for rambling on, it's just nice to have a topic here I've got lots of knowledge about - hoping nobody is snoring.... so that's about it from me on this topic.

Guardian
Teen HOF

Postby Guardian » Sun May 31, 2009 12:35 am

I've gotten one tattoo before, an eyeball on my back.

I'm going to tattoo artists I know personally (ie. TJ or Brandon), I know the owner of the tattoo parlor and even did an article on him once.

I got red put in the tatt, its the most sore part but so far no weird reactions. My dog keeps licking it though. Brat. Lol.

malerris21
Juvie Pup

Postby malerris21 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:21 pm

It always starts with one... careful, they get addictive :D Counting the ones I've had covered (the ones I did on myself and my first "professional" one) I have 5 completed and two in progress. Needless to say my mom is the only one I don't get regular compliments from on my art :roll: At least she admits they are art!

Guardian
Teen HOF

Postby Guardian » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:43 pm

Sorry, lost internet for a while.

The tattoo is finished, but I don't have my camera on me. I'll post the half-done one, then post the finished later.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:34 pm

Cool. :D

Ohatsie
Juvie Pup

Postby Ohatsie » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:44 am

"Ohs. And do we have any flying squirrel 'artists' here?"

Im actually going to school for Art Ed! Im big into metals and sculpture, and lately Ive been dabbling lots in Animation (see avatar). I do some photography as well, but my girlfriend's WAY better than me when it comes to 2d mediums.
Do you do any yourself?

PS. Love the tat! Fresh ink! :twisted: (I really liked the squirrel with imaginary wings idea as well!)
Colin

Return to “All the rest”