WEEKLY PUZZLER

Questions about the forum, comments, suggestions... and pretty much anything else, including other pets and interests.
flyer_1
NFSA Member
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

WEEKLY PUZZLER

Postby flyer_1 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:57 pm

Welcome to the weekly puzzler. Every week there will be a baffling puzzler you must figure out"if you want" :D You don't win anything, just the satisfaction of knowing you out smarted your squirrel for once :D The puzzler for this week is as follows:

Cards with Crosses: You have a stack of 23 cards. Each card has an image of a cross on one side,and an image of a circle on the other side. You know that 14 cards in the stack are laying with the cross up,and therefore 9 cards are with the circle up. But you don't know in which order the cards are. Morever, you are in a completely dark room,so you can't see anything.

The Question is: How can you,without seeing anything,divide the stack of cards in two smaller stacks,in such a way that both stacks have the same number of cards with a cross up in both stacks?

I will give out the answer out one week from now, Oh and NO peaking, figure it out [-X
Last edited by flyer_1 on Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Re: WEAKLY PUZZLER

Postby flyer_1 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:50 pm

R.I.P Taz

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Re: WEEKLY PUZZLER

Postby flyer_1 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:08 pm

I must say I am sorely disappointed in the amount of participation in the weekly puzzler :( Or could it be that none of you nuts know the answer :o just kidding you have a week so feel free to give it some thought :scratch:

R.I.P Taz

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:06 pm

Okay I forgot how long it's been but I'm giving out the answer now.

Answer: Take 14 cards from the stack. Of these 14 cards, K cards are with the cross up,and therefore 14 K cards are with the circle up, In the remainder stack of 9 card are 14 cards with a cross up. Than turn the stack of 14 cards round. Now there are 14 K cards with a cross up in both stacks.

If you guest right just post in and I will knight you.

R.I.P Taz

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:09 pm

Puzzler two.

xix. Coconut Chaos ****

Five sailors survive a shipwreck and swim to a tiny island where there is nothing but a coconut tree and a monkey. The sailors gather all the coconuts and put them in a big pile under the tree. Exhausted, they agree to go to wait until the next morning to divide up the coconuts.

At one o'clock in the morning, the first sailor wakes up. He realizes that he can't trust the others, and decides to take his share now. He divides the coconuts into five equal piles, but there is one coconut left over. He gives that coconut to the monkey, hides his coconuts (one of the five piles), and puts the rest of the coconuts (the other four piles) back under the tree.

At two o'clock, the second sailor wakes up. Not realizing that the first sailor has already taken his share, he too divides the coconuts up into five piles, leaving one coconut over which he gives to the monkey. He then hides his share (one of the five piles), and puts the remainder (the other four piles) back under the tree.

At three, four, and five o'clock in the morning, the third, fourth, and fifth sailors each wake up and carry out the same actions.

In the morning, all the sailors wake up, and try to look innocent. No one makes a remark about the diminished pile of coconuts, and no one decides to be honest and admit that they've already taken their share. Instead, they divide the pile up into five piles, for the sixth time, and find that there is yet again one coconut left over, which they give to the monkey.

The Question: What is the smallest amount of coconuts that there could have been in the original pile?

Finish the first one before you do this one if you didn't already give up on the first one.

R.I.P Taz

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:48 pm

Okay it's been awhile I'm just doing this for the formality but the puzzler is being terminated do to lack of participation AHHH! yes I know but if someone else wants to start it that's okay with me because I didn't really make it work :)

R.I.P Taz

Return to “All the rest”